Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray red card appeal REJECTED

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Might be overturned, might not. But I think the case for Murray is strong, he's a striker, so isn't instinctively going to take a ball to the face, the arms were in front of the body and used to block the ball rather than punch it away, he was in front of Stockdale, who could've been able to save the ball, and his body was blocking the shot anyway so he did not deny a scoring opportunity. The penalty was fair but the card was not, which has been acknowledged by ex-referees.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Murray should have knocked the red card out of his hand. Apparently that's a legitimate way of making a referee change his mind.
I'd actually forgotten he did that. ****ing joke.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
talking of refs . this is a good piece on Mike Dean in the New York Times of all places.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/23/...premier-league-mike-dean-soccer-mistakes.html
Ok, I've had a good read of that. It's not a good piece.

"Even in a tense, close game, few of Dean’s decisions were contested: the ones he made, and the ones he did not, the thousand small victories a referee wins in any game. The action seemed to flow around him, the man in black flitting in and out of focus — in the game but not of it. He was not the center of attention, and he did nothing to suggest he wanted to be.

And then, as Leeds tried to recover from a 3-1 deficit, a long ball forward sent striker Chris Wood chasing alongside Marc Roberts, the Barnsley defender. The ball sprang off the turf and onto Roberts’s hand. Dean, sprinting to keep up, awarded a penalty. Replays showed the incident had occurred outside the box.

“It was never a penalty,” Barnsley Manager Paul Heckingbottom said.

With that call, the die was cast. The rest of Dean’s evening, everything else that he had done, was rendered irrelevant.

This is what psychologists call the availability heuristic, and it is the referee’s worst enemy: the tendency to overestimate how frequently the most memorable events occur.

Dean made one or two mistakes all evening; everything else he did was right. That does not matter. It is the errors that stand out in the memory, tricking us, deceiving us into believing the rare exception was the hard and fast rule."

Reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob1rYlCpOnM

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
In the event of an appeal being considered 'frivolous' by the panel, a ban CAN be extended. It is very, very unusual though, so I shouldn't worry. Besides, and extra game if the worst happened would just cover the Lincoln game that he'd never be playing in anyway.

The GROUNDS of the appeal, we don't know. There are two possibilities:

1. It was an instinctive reaction, to protect his face. Unlikely to succeed, IMO.

2. His actions did NOT 'stop a goalscoring opportunity' - i.e. Stockdale was right behind him, so it wouldn't have gone in anyway. This one has a CHANCE, I think.

Also if he hadn't put his hands up, it would have hit him in the face and still not gone in!

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
No more than a yellow.

yellow.jpg

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
However much id love it to happen, just cannot see it being rescinded. The FA will want to show support to the officals on the evening of the game.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No more than a yellow.

View attachment 81426

I agree- should the player to Stockdale's right (the man on the post) have handled it, then it would have been a textbook red card, but I can't really see Murray is denying a clear goalscoring opportunity here.

Obviously the FA will be arses about it though and back the officials.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Indeed, you're collective farts are smelling somewhat of roses this season :)

I wouldn't disagree. It's almost as if the football Gods have realised that they've been absolute tossers to us for the previous 4 seasons and are making up for it now.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Might be overturned, might not. But I think the case for Murray is strong, he's a striker, so isn't instinctively going to take a ball to the face, the arms were in front of the body and used to block the ball rather than punch it away, he was in front of Stockdale, who could've been able to save the ball, and his body was blocking the shot anyway so he did not deny a scoring opportunity. The penalty was fair but the card was not, which has been acknowledged by ex-referees.

I am not convinced it was on target in any case, but I don't know if that will be taken into consideration.

Penalty3.JPG

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
The Evening Argus ...
Albion’s appeal against Murray’s red for blocking a Glen Loovens shot with his hands goes before an FA hearing this afternoon. It is based on the fact that goalkeeper David Stockdale had the shot covered.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I would imagine these are things are done over a hearty lunch at the FA. Lets hope the wine is good.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It should be rescinded but won't be. We all know what a joke the FA committee are. We had clear cases for the Murphy and Stephens red cards to be rescinded and they ignored them. It takes a big club like Newcastle to appeal for it to be successful.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It should be rescinded but won't be. We all know what a joke the FA committee are. We had clear cases for the Murphy and Stephens red cards to be rescinded and they ignored them. It takes a big club like Newcastle to appeal for it to be successful.

I fear this may be what happens...I guess it just depends whether the FA have told their refereees and members that it's our turn to be promoted this year. Oh yes, and whether Mark Bright is on the panel or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here