Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray red card appeal REJECTED

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Get 3 points tomorrow without Glenn, all forgotten, onto Lincoln.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Both those Newcastle cards rightly turned over in my opinion....fwiw

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Cheers for these.

I really dislike Shelvey, but I didn't think of that small scuffle as being a red card.
The Dummett one is inconclusive well it is as I stare at my 9 incher.

I really just think we are looking a bit desperate, we are only losing Murray for just one game.

I agree they are both inclusive and Shelvey's one was a small scuffle, you'd be pissed off to get a red for that. But the FA famously don't overturn ref's decisions unless they are mistaken identity or just didn't happen. Stephens and Murphy cards were not overturned. In Shelvey's case there was a scuffle, so why the appeal was upheld I am at a loss. Whats the difference with Stephens'?. In Dummet's case the ref saw it and presumably determined there was no attempt to play the ball, so what are the grounds to overturn it.

I actually think Murray's shouldn't have been overturned, but still confused why these ones were

D

Deleted member 2719

I agree they are both inclusive and Shelvey's one was a small scuffle, you'd be pissed off to get a red for that. But the FA famously don't overturn ref's decisions unless they are mistaken identity or just didn't happen. Stephens and Murphy cards were not overturned. In Shelvey's case there was a scuffle, so why the appeal was upheld I am at a loss. Whats the difference with Stephens'?. In Dummet's case the ref saw it and presumably determined there was no attempt to play the ball, so what are the grounds to overturn it.

I actually think Murray's shouldn't have been overturned, but still confused why these ones were

Well it can only mean brown envelopes.:eek:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Both those Newcastle cards rightly turned over in my opinion....fwiw
Didn't Shelvey kick the guy while they were lying on the floor? That's what he was sent off for I presume, so is there conclusive proof that he didn't?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nope, he clearly did.
So why do people here think it was correctly overturned? I've got so much to learn about these red cards.

No hold on - if it's a club the FA consider big, the card should be overturned if at all possible. Otherwise, the card should stand, regardless of the facts.

I think I've got it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It was a red card all day long, not sure why we even disputed it.

If our best defence was "yeah but newcastle........" we were never likely to overturn it.

Just get on with it, all the whining does my head in.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It was a red card all day long, not sure why we even disputed it.

If our best defence was "yeah but newcastle........" we were never likely to overturn it.

Just get on with it, all the whining does my head in.

This is probably the wrong forum for you then.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was never expecting any other result,however the FA have clearly endorsed the "goalkeeping" skills of Murray and as such we know who we can entrust in goal if we ever get a keeper sent off. :jester:

I may just add it was to the "letter" of the law.

The law was changed this season because of double jeopardy. Teams were being punished by the penalty and the loss of a player. Red cards were only to be awarded for deliberate handballs in the area. The Leeds player who got a red was bang to rights, because he was on the line, and used his arm to stop the ball going in.
Stockdale was right behind Murray, who instinctively protected his face.

Three game bans are for violent conduct.

D

Deleted member 2719

The law was changed this season because of double jeopardy. Teams were being punished by the penalty and the loss of a player. Red cards were only to be awarded for deliberate handballs in the area. The Leeds player who got a red was bang to rights, because he was on the line, and used his arm to stop the ball going in.
Stockdale was right behind Murray, who instinctively protected his face.

Three game bans are for violent conduct.

Not buying it, GM should either have ducked the ball, take it on the kisser or flick the ball away with his head. You just don't put your hands up in the area.
The main thing is he is only missing the one game, why is everyone panicking???

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Not buying it, GM should either have ducked the ball, take it on the kisser or flick the ball away with his head. You just don't put your hands up in the area.
The main thing is he is only missing the one game, why is everyone panicking???

Because it has been a great season and we have had little else to panic about. All Albion fans love a good panic.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
TBH he handled it, I think the FA were correct.

I just don't understand the new rules on all of these things. Duffy would have taken it to the face (see early stages of Birmingham away).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Christ really thought that would be overturned lol
Close range and protecting his face...if his hands wearnt there it would've hit his head or gone over the bar or stockdale would've got it.
Terrible decision as it wasn't a deliberate hand ball and nothing but basic instinct when protecting yourself.....bunch of facking cretins for the 2nd time.

Only the 2nd time?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
TBH he handled it, I think the FA were correct.

I just don't understand the new rules on all of these things. Duffy would have taken it to the face (see early stages of Birmingham away).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handling it of itself is not a red card offence though. Considering that not only was murray's own face and the goalkeeper behind the ball I fail to see how this could be regarded as a clear goalscoring opportunity. The penalty should have been sufficient punishment for what was essentially and exerecise in self preservation.

Anyway it's only a one match ban, we'll live I guess. Let's get on with tonight's game now shall we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here