Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Exclusive behind the scenes photo from the FA Appeals panel:

rafa-benitez-blyth-mags-newcastle-united-nufc-bw-650x400.jpg

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The FA will never do us any favours. Sam and Tomer play well together, hopefully they'll both be playing tomorrow.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Apparently the appeal board was only scheduled to meet for an hour, which meant that they were less than half the way through Paul Barber's appeal letter by the meeting was scheduled to finish, and therefore had no choice but to reject it as no one else could get a word in.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Apparently the appeal board was only scheduled to meet for an hour, which meant that they were less than half the way through Paul Barber's appeal letter by the meeting was scheduled to finish, and therefore had no choice but to reject it as no one else could get a word in.

And don't forget, it took those fat-arsed, over-fed, old-boy network, clueless, dimwit f******s 20 minutes to work out what day it was first.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Not at all surprised - and I don't necessarily think the FA are prejudiced. The key thing was that the penalty was saved and we won. Plus - I wasn't up to speed with the various disciplinary rules, so my thoughts immediately after the game were that he'd be out for 3 games, not 1. Let's not waste too much more time on this!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Was never expecting any other result,however the FA have clearly endorsed the "goalkeeping" skills of Murray and as such we know who we can entrust in goal if we ever get a keeper sent off. :jester:

I may just add it was to the "letter" of the law.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
My Blue and White specs come out every now and then but i am generally realistic, anyone who felt that was going to be overturned must wear extremely THICK blue and white specs. :drama:

So why did they overturn the 2 Newcastle red cards for offences that seemed more worthy of being a red card than Murray's protecting his face before the ball had been kicked?

If they had been rejected too then i wouldn't have a problem with Murray's being rejected, but it smacks of double standards and favouritism towards certain clubs.

How can Murphy's red for slipping stand and this one too but Newcastle manage to get their offences overturned? Surely it should be the same process and fairness for all clubs and not seen to favour some - hence why i think it should be independently looked at and therefore less likely to stick to the refs decision for fear of undermining him if overturned

D

Deleted member 2719

So why did they overturn the 2 Newcastle red cards for offences that seemed more worthy of being a red card than Murray's protecting his face before the ball had been kicked?

If they had been rejected too then i wouldn't have a problem with Murray's being rejected, but it smacks of double standards and favouritism towards certain clubs.

How can Murphy's red for slipping stand and this one too but Newcastle manage to get their offences overturned? Surely it should be the same process and fairness for all clubs and not seen to favour some - hence why i think it should be independently looked at and therefore less likely to stick to the refs decision for fear of undermining him if overturned

I don't know.:shrug:

I have not seen the Newcastle cards. What I do know if we are so dependant on Murray for one match, we are well and truly fooked.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005

Because the FA are crooked weasels and will do everything within their power to ensure Newcastle have as smooth a ride as possible back into the prem?

That aside, I thoroughly expect us to play Cardiff off the park, with or without Murray playing. About time for Hemed to really shine this season me thinks.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I don't know.:shrug:

I have not seen the Newcastle cards. What I do know if we are so dependant on Murray for one match, we are well and truly fooked.

Overturning the Newcastle cards was weird. The Dummett one - he doesn't appear to be trying to play the ball, so the red should stand, and Shelvey appears to clearly be kicking out at Lansbury - maybe the Barton non-card last year was cited as evidence?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Not at all surprised - and I don't necessarily think the FA are prejudiced. The key thing was that the penalty was saved and we won. Plus - I wasn't up to speed with the various disciplinary rules, so my thoughts immediately after the game were that he'd be out for 3 games, not 1. Let's not waste too much more time on this!

Well that's all true and reasonable statement, we can't change it, let's move on. But can't blame posters for feeling aggrieved. We've had three strong cases for appeal lodged in the last year, Murphy, Stephens and now Murray. It's not just that I'm a dyed in the feathers Seagull. But I considered in a fair hearing, with video playback all three appeals should have been upheld. But not one. Even that absolute Arse of a referee Dean gave a penalty the next day for handball ... But only gave a yellow card!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

I agree. We should blow the FA up. We just need to find someone brave enough to do it.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Overturning the Newcastle cards was weird. The Dummett one - he doesn't appear to be trying to play the ball, so the red should stand, and Shelvey appears to clearly be kicking out at Lansbury - maybe the Barton non-card last year was cited as evidence?

1st red is a kick out at a player that was completely unnecessary. and looked to be a deliberate attempt to make contact with the player as that motion is completely alien to someone who is trying to get up from that sort of situation (just roll away and get up without the need to kick, especially as there was nothing holding his legs to stop him rolling away)

The 2nd was when the Forest player was beyond the last defender with just the keeper to beat and brought down by the defender from behind (denying a clear goal scoring opportunity) yet Murray's handball which was also described as denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity is upheld - either they both get rescinded or both stand imo

If other examples, as you suggested, helped overturn the ban, there are numerous examples where Murray's offence is only punished with a penalty and yellow card so why didn't they do the same here and lift it?

Something i didn't notice at the time was that Newcastle's goal came from a move where they barged the Forest player over which should have been a free kick to Forest but they still lost the match

Maybe the loss of the game played a part in these reds being overturned ?

D

Deleted member 2719

Cheers for these.

I really dislike Shelvey, but I didn't think of that small scuffle as being a red card.
The Dummett one is inconclusive well it is as I stare at my 9 incher.

I really just think we are looking a bit desperate, we are only losing Murray for just one game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here