Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murphy's red card

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Taking the rights and wrongs out of the decision, you've got to admit that Dann's reaction was ****ing comedy gold, Michael Flatley having an epi.
Danns has never been popular at the Amex, but will get a Scott McGleish style reception when he next comes to town I think :lolol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Was he challenging? More moving towards the ball to make a challenge, when his foot went......
It's tight but I think he was just trying to play a pass as the ball was there away from Danns and there to be passed.. So no challenge...

Murphy receiving the ball, note where he is, the lines on the pitch etc, Note Danns just stood there
Murphy1.jpg

The ball bouncing away from murphy, Danns still stood there.
Murphy2.jpg

Murphy chasing the ball he failed to control well enough note how far from where he received it the ball is, and Danns recognising the ball is loose enough for him to be in with a chance of winning it
Murphy3.jpg

Both players attempting to play the ball - albeit one of them starting to slip as he is trying to pass to a team mate (or just kick it away from Danns)
Murphy4.jpg

Both swinging at the ball just at the moment of impact.
Murphy5.jpg

I think Murphy had lost possession and it was two people challenging for a loose ball.

Even if I'm wrong and Murphy is deemed to have possession, the spirit of the law is to protect both of the players during a challenge/tackle.

The law that covers excessive force from players challenging an opponent in possession of the ball, also protects that challenging player from, for example, the player in possession stamping on him as he slides in for the tackle, or elbowing in the ribs as he tries to nick the ball.

You will not get the red card overturned by trying to argue it wasn't a "tackle" or a "challenge" in a strict definition of the word. Their argument will be Danns was trying to win the ball. Since he is trying to win the ball from Murphy, Murphy is involved in a challenge for the ball.

I'm not saying the red card shouldn't be overturned. I think it should.

As Simster has mentioned, it's about proving the ref made an error.

Again, my main point before getting distracted by picky definition discussion, the FA don't like overturning or undermining referees' decisions. So it depends on what the ref put in his match report.

If the ref has said he saw a lunge, that will be easy to disprove. The video clearly shows a slip, instead of a lunge.

If he says he thought the challenge was dangerous, it won't be so easy to disprove, especially if the FA don't really want to disprove it and undermine their ref.

A positive could be in the fact they've appealed it. I believe the clubs get a copy of the report. The fact they have appealed the decision has me hopeful the ref has said he saw a lunge.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
L
These are probably the most important bits. I think the appeal is likely to be rejected on these grounds. Let's hope that if we do drop any points thanks to his suspension, that it is enough to send Bolton down. A bigger bunch of bell ends you are less likely to meet. See this prick Martin for details.

To be fair I think that's very, very harsh on Palarse... true Bolt Ons might be bellends, but the Croydon Boys have it off to a fine art.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Murphy receiving the ball, note where he is, the lines on the pitch etc, Note Danns just stood there
View attachment 68889

View attachment 68890

Murphy chasing the ball he failed to control well enough note how far from where he received it the ball is, and Danns recognising the ball is loose enough for him to be in with a chance of winning it
View attachment 68891

Both players attempting to play the ball - albeit one of them starting to slip as he is trying to pass to a team mate (or just kick it away from Danns)
View attachment 68892

View attachment 68893

I think Murphy had lost possession and it was two people challenging for a loose ball.

Even if I'm wrong and Murphy is deemed to have possession, the spirit of the law is to protect both of the players during a challenge/tackle.

The law that covers excessive force from players challenging an opponent in possession of the ball, also protects that challenging player from, for example, the player in possession stamping on him as he slides in for the tackle, or elbowing in the ribs as he tries to nick the ball.

You will not get the red card overturned by trying to argue it wasn't a "tackle" or a "challenge" in a strict definition of the word. Their argument will be Danns was trying to win the ball. Since he is trying to win the ball from Murphy, Murphy is involved in a challenge for the ball.

Again, my main point before getting distracted by picky definition discussion, the FA don't like overturning or undermining referees' decisions. So it depends on what the ref put in his match report.

If the ref has said he saw a lunge, that will be easy to disprove. The video clearly shows a slip, instead of a lunge.

If he says he thought the challenge was dangerous, it won't be so easy to disprove, especially if the FA don't really want to disprove it and undermine their ref.

A positive could be in the fact they've appealed it. I believe the clubs get a copy of the report. The fact they have appealed the decision has me hopeful the ref has said he saw a lunge.

This is why I quoted Calde's red card being rescinded which was worse because the Newport player received a broken leg.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
View attachment 68889

View attachment 68890

View attachment 68891

View attachment 68892

View attachment 68893

Your pics have just proved what I was saying :lol: Danns foot is planted and he's further away from the ball and in that shot Murphy is about to kick the ball. So not trying to tackle / challenge really. Thanks.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
we won't need any help we'll be reet when we get a striker in, mid-table to top 10 is my guess.

Yes. Because come January when you're lingering around the bottom of the table, you'll have the pick of all strikers.

Every team will be desperate for goalscorers, and Bolton will be quite a long way down the pecking order for most decent ones.

I think you'll be relegated, as will Rotherham and Bristol City.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Haven't read the whole thread so this may already have been discussed but shouldn't the ref just hold his hand up and say he got it wrong? Quite a few people have said that, on first sight, they thought it was a dangerous tackle but TV evidence says different so an understandable mistake. Maybe refs can't admit to making mistakes??

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Haven't read the whole thread so this may already have been discussed but shouldn't the ref just hold his hand up and say he got it wrong? Quite a few people have said that, on first sight, they thought it was a dangerous tackle but TV evidence says different so an understandable mistake. Maybe refs can't admit to making mistakes??

I think that they would probably create pressure on them selves for other decisions if they admitted making a mistake.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think that they would probably create pressure on them selves for other decisions if they admitted making a mistake.

I have noticed that most refs are small men, so I guess it's par for the course, takes a big man to admit he's wrong :smile:

What extra pressure can there be, it's clear the ref ****ed up, it's clear to anyone who watches the evidence, so he might as well admit it and do right by the player..imo

ALL refs make mistakes, that is a FACT.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Surely, it's reaching the stage where we are being punished twice. CH must presumably want to name a team at least internally and work with that team on set pieces and the like. How can he do that if he doesn't know if Murphy is available?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here