Murphy's red card

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
For what it's worth, the Sky Sports reporter covering the game described the sending off as "very harsh" when delivering his update immediately after the incident, so most likely based on seeing events in real time.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why do they even care? The game is done as far as Bolton ar as in this case to help Boltone concerned. In fact they should want the appeal to be successful, as one of our next 3 games is against one of their relegation rivals.

I must be one of the few people that look at a teams future opponents when deciding whether a loan etc can benefit us similarly if a players is suspended like in this case to help Bolton if I was a fan of theirs.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But he wasn't even making a tackle or a challenge was he - so by the laws of the game it wasn't a red - a pure accident. Sorted.

The ball had gotten away from him and he was trying to win it back when he slipped, so, yes, he was challenging for the ball when he slipped.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The ball had gotten away from him and he was trying to win it back when he slipped, so, yes, he was challenging for the ball when he slipped.

Was he challenging? More moving towards the ball to make a challenge, when his foot went......

MartinBWFC

Sep 27, 2015
I was sat right in front of where the incident happened, and no way was it accidental, Hughton would be incensed if it was the other way around, get over it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"It’s unfortunate, there appears to be a bit of a slip and you can say there isn’t any intent but that doesn’t matter.

“They have to prove that there is a clear and obvious error from the referee, in this case Mark Haywood.

“In my opinion, and unless there is another angle showing something completely different, it is reckless and endangering the player’s safety. Malice doesn’t come into it, I’m afraid.

“I cannot see anything other than the red card being upheld.”

These are probably the most important bits. I think the appeal is likely to be rejected on these grounds. Let's hope that if we do drop any points thanks to his suspension, that it is enough to send Bolton down. A bigger bunch of bell ends you are less likely to meet. See this prick Martin for details.

MartinBWFC

Sep 27, 2015
There isn't a snowball in hells chance the card will be rescinded, there's more chance of you finishing in the top 2 than getting it overturned.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There isn't a snowball in hells chance the card will be rescinded, there's more chance of you finishing in the top 2 than getting it overturned.

I agree, unfortunately.

Enjoy Portsmouth next year. :bigwave:

Not forgetting your arch rivals, Wigan and Bury.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
At the game, although people around me weren't surprised by the red card, what was puzzling was that it just felt as though Murphy had the ball and so wasn't actually challenging for it. It didn't look like one of those desperate lunges when the ball goes beyond you and you try to recover. To me it looked more like a simple clash.

Having watched the replays, it's even clearer that Murphy wasn't challenging or tackling. It simply looks as though he was going to kick the ball with his left foot, and his right foot slipped - and momentum took him into Danns. Danns was obviously caught, but rolled around a bit too much.

I think there's a very good chance it will be overturned. If the ref says it was for serious foul play, and the evidence is that it was a simple slip - then there's a good case for it. Gabriel's red card was overturned on the basis that the ref made 'an error of judgement' - so if that principle is applied logically....

Has there been a statement from the ref as to what the reason for the sending off actually was?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Why do you even care? We're playing 2 of your relegation rivals in our next 4 games; wouldn't you prefer that one of our first choice wingers is available for both?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here