Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murphy's red card

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Annoying, but entirely predictable. The FA never want to be seen to be "undermining" the referee. Unless he's made a complete and utter horlicks, like sending the wrong player off, then its extremely rare to see the FA uphold an appeal from the club. It was down to the referees interpretation of the incident, and if he's standing by his decision and saying "nope, I got that spot on", then the FA will always back that. They close ranks.

One door closes, another one opens. Lets see what Elvis has got.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
http://www.bha.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=557369

Hughton's opinion on the unsuccessful appeal.

From the Argus

The Seagulls used evidence in their submission of other players also slipping on the heavily watered pitch at the Macron Stadium during Saturday's 2-2 draw.

Hughton said: "I find it very hard to understand. I was very confident our appeal would get the decision we felt and still feel now would be the right decision.

"It seems incredibly harsh for a lad that has never been sent-off before in a challenge where you can see there is no intent or nothing malicious.

He slipped, as did many players on the day on what was a very good pitch, slippy in some areas.

"There was no obvious intent, no strong contact apart from sweeping the lad (Danns) away, no studs up, no legs raised.

"I find it very hard to understand why it hasn't been overturned and I think to miss three games for that is incredibly harsh."

Hughton sounds very upset by it, unsurprisingly. Dreadful decision.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
and if he's standing by his decision and saying "nope, I got that spot on", then the FA will always back that. They close ranks.

One door closes, another one opens. Lets see what Elvis has got.

I am not sure its even that. They ask the referee if he saw it, he says yes. They review it and say has the referee got that totally wrong. He didn't.

I can see why the referee gave it in real time, and I can see why it has been upheld unfortunately.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Poor decision then and an even worse one on appeal. Murphy is VERY unlucky. But, yeah, bring on Elvis.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I've clearly missed the bleedin obvious but what's wrong with Kaz?

Groin injury. The Argus said earlier in the week that he picked it up in training, but I watched the Wolves game online and he clearly indicated to the bench shortly before he came off that he had a problem with his groin, so I think it originated at Molineux.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am not sure its even that. They ask the referee if he saw it, he says yes. They review it and say has the referee got that totally wrong. He didn't.

I can see why the referee gave it in real time, and I can see why it has been upheld unfortunately.

Well they know he saw it, so they wouldn't have bothered asking him that.
I would assume that during the review they would ask his opinion on it again, having had the benefit of seeing it on a reply ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Well they know he saw it, so they wouldn't have bothered asking him that.
I would assume that during the review they would ask his opinion on it again, having had the benefit of seeing it on a reply ?

They wouldn't. The referee would have submitted a written report straight after the game about the incident and that is used as evidence

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hopefully Elvis will be one for the money

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
From comments by other people the ref had a poor game overall ..todays decision just compounds it...time to move on now with 11 on the pitch and beat Cardiff!

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
In that case ANY slip is an automatic red card as you are deemed not to be in control.

Correct
Apart from the most important bit omitted from your Sentence!. Slip that can result in severe injury!.

Last edited:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Appeal not upheld? Clowns

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Correct
Apart from the most important bit omitted from your Sentence!. Slip that can result in severe injury!.
Any slip could result in an injury, if you happen to collide with someone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here