Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Mundane celebrity encounters

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It's lunchtime, and it's too long until the next game so I thought I'd start a mundane thread on mundane celebrity encounters. As in, the encounter being mundane but if the celebrity is too that's also enough to pass the time. Conversation/interaction has to have taken place, so I once sat opposite Gareth Gates on a train but we didn't speak so that doesn't count. Here's mine:

Cliff Richard asked me where the tins of tomatoes were when I worked in a supermarket. Hannah Gordon once also asked me if we had any single cream. It was a supermarket near quite a posh area. (Circa 1990)

Natalie Imbruglia asked me for directions to a car park in Canterbury, and I said "I'm only visiting and came by train, sorry, I don't know anything about parking." I didn't realise it was her until my girlfriend pointed out it was, and that the singer was in the Canterbury panto at the time. (mid 90s probably)

Anthea Turner apologised when she picked up a magazine at WH Smiths in Waterloo station and the leaflets inside it fell all over the floor next to me. (around 2004-ish). (Weirdly, I saw her several times around London and also once in Brighton over a short period.)

Lily Allen asked me to get a card down from a high shelf in Paperchase in Brighton. I'm tall. She isn't. (8 or 9 years ago)
Wow that's loads!!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I held open the toilet door for David Bowie at LaGuardia airport (BA Lounge 🥂) ...and he replied "oh cheers, mate!".

No smutty jokes please...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Great thread btw.

A few seasons back before a home game vs Burnley, I got on a train at Brighton and found myself sat directly opposite Alastair Campbell. Instead of publically holding him to task over the infamous "dodgy dossier" on Iraq's capabilities of launching WOMD against the west, I instead asked some dull mealy-mouthed question about how he rated Burnley's chances against us that night.

I promise to do better if I ever find myself opposite Donald Trump on the way to the AMEX.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Sam Mendes kicked me in the shin during a game of football when I was about 12, all but ending my enjoyment of actually playing the game.

I got my revenge by getting a peck on the cheek by his then wife, Kate Winslet.

Then I had a chat with Doon from Smack the Pony, who was smoking a joint with a cast member from The Bill.

That was a surreal day.

Last edited:

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Mark Williams’s daughter was at school with my son, so have shared many mundane parents evenings together.

Rag N Bone man has held the door open for me a few times over a 6 month period, once at Chessington, one at a Kaiser Chiefs gig at the Brighton Centre and one in Churchill Square.

Spent three hours in an airport lounge at Sanford Airport with Kirk from Coronation Street while his kids were playing with our kids.

Spent a train journey back from London with Alex Pollizzi (Hotel Inspector).

Done pottery painting with Jane Torvill, again the kids were all playing so the group sort of merged.

All suitably very mundane hopefully.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Mundanely I put up some light fittings for Will Young.

Another mundane job I was taking down some light fittings for a chap who had sold his house to Kat Deeley, I was still there when the Deeley’s arrived. She asked me to put up her light fittings and when I told her the rate her dad who was a real dickhead ranted he would get someone cheaper much to the amusement of my customer as it was only £250 🤣

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Ben Crenshaw asked me where his ball had gone at the The Open at Turnberry in 1986 on the day when it was blowing a gale and pissing down. I was delighted to tell him that it had gone in the bunker. He wasn't happy.
I was working at the Open Golf the last time it was at Sandwich, monitoring the scoring at my terminal in the PGA tent (our company had the contract for the scoring system) and Craig Stadler (sp?) asked me if he'd made the cut.
I told him that he hadn't.
He offered to keep me supplied with beer if I kept him supplied with info.
I agreed and told him to be discrete as we weren't supposed to drink while "working".
That year I was the guy that told CS that he had missed the cut.
He turned to his caddie and said "we'd better get those tickets to Tokyo" (or somewhere like that), and off they went.
He'd only bought me one beer!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I got in a lift with Bruce Forsyth once. I nodded at him and he nodded back, then got off a couple of floors later.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Elle Macpherson ran into me with her little shopping trolley in a market in NYC, she said sorry in such an American accent (she is Australian like me) then went back to ordering her 1 specific sausage she wanted. Bizarre...

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I played 2 holes of golf with Nick Faldo (yes, he's a ****) and I have also played a friendly round with Erik van Rooyen when he had recently finished his golf scholarship in the US and was playing on the Sunshine Tour. He had not yet won a tournament but won his first one the following week, so I tweeted him and said I was glad my coaching had worked so quickly. He was kind enough to reply with Thanks and a laughing emoji.
I was having dinner at Fishers Restaurant in Bristol in June and Stephen Merchant was eating there.
I have played golf with Garry Bailey, Sean Pollock and Andre Watson (Rugby referee) at corporate golf events.
I was introduced to Bailey as a Brighton fan and his first comment was that 1983 must have been a bad year for me. I made the introductory speech at the evening reception, explained the history of Bailey and the 83 cup final and told the room that Brighton didn't win because he dived the wrong way and the ball hit his legs by accident. I also snuck in a comment about his nickname of Dracula because he hated crosses. Tbf, he's a nice guy and took it in good spirits.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's lunchtime, and it's too long until the next game so I thought I'd start a mundane thread on mundane celebrity encounters. As in, the encounter being mundane but if the celebrity is too that's also enough to pass the time. Conversation/interaction has to have taken place, so I once sat opposite Gareth Gates on a train but we didn't speak so that doesn't count. Here's mine:

Cliff Richard asked me where the tins of tomatoes were when I worked in a supermarket. Hannah Gordon once also asked me if we had any single cream. It was a supermarket near quite a posh area. (Circa 1990)

Natalie Imbruglia asked me for directions to a car park in Canterbury, and I said "I'm only visiting and came by train, sorry, I don't know anything about parking." I didn't realise it was her until my girlfriend pointed out it was, and that the singer was in the Canterbury panto at the time. (mid 90s probably)

Anthea Turner apologised when she picked up a magazine at WH Smiths in Waterloo station and the leaflets inside it fell all over the floor next to me. (around 2004-ish). (Weirdly, I saw her several times around London and also once in Brighton over a short period.)

Lily Allen asked me to get a card down from a high shelf in Paperchase in Brighton. I'm tall. She isn't. (8 or 9 years ago)
I was in love with Hannah Gordon when I was a kid 💖

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here