Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Mundane celebrity encounters

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
It's lunchtime, and it's too long until the next game so I thought I'd start a mundane thread on mundane celebrity encounters. As in, the encounter being mundane but if the celebrity is too that's also enough to pass the time. Conversation/interaction has to have taken place, so I once sat opposite Gareth Gates on a train but we didn't speak so that doesn't count. Here's mine:

Cliff Richard asked me where the tins of tomatoes were when I worked in a supermarket. Hannah Gordon once also asked me if we had any single cream. It was a supermarket near quite a posh area. (Circa 1990)

Natalie Imbruglia asked me for directions to a car park in Canterbury, and I said "I'm only visiting and came by train, sorry, I don't know anything about parking." I didn't realise it was her until my girlfriend pointed out it was, and that the singer was in the Canterbury panto at the time. (mid 90s probably)

Anthea Turner apologised when she picked up a magazine at WH Smiths in Waterloo station and the leaflets inside it fell all over the floor next to me. (around 2004-ish). (Weirdly, I saw her several times around London and also once in Brighton over a short period.)

Lily Allen asked me to get a card down from a high shelf in Paperchase in Brighton. I'm tall. She isn't. (8 or 9 years ago)

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I was in a lift at itv and was soaked by the rain, Jon Snow (channel 4 news was in same building) made a joke about me needing an umbrella. I don’t reply just gave him a dirty look.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I once gave Annie Nightingale some money. (I was a bank clerk at the time)

I pressed the lift button for Boris Becker in Adelaide Hilton after asking him what floor he wanted (I was a tourist, not the lift operator). Shame really - it was long ago, in hidsight would have been great to ask 'Going Down?'

Asked Prince Charles why he didn't have a name badge like the rest of us at a Princes Trust function (I also serve Annie Lennox and Frank Bruno with canapes at the same event).

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Harold Wilson once walked off with my biro after signing his autograph for me outside the Labour Conference circa 1969.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Right, I'll tell you an anecdote! In 1975 I was catching the London train from Crewe station. It was very crowded, I found myself in a last-minute rush for the one remaining seat with a tall, good-looking man with collar-length hair, it was the seventies - buckaroo! When I sat down on the chair, I looked up and realised it was none other than Peter Purves! It was at the height of his Blue Peter fame! He said "You jammy bastard!" and quick as a flash, I replied, "Don't be blue, Peter!" Needless to say, I had the last laugh, now f*** off!

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Early 80's accompanied my Dad to waterhall to see David Wilkie training with the brighton u18's (or whatever was the equivalent those days, yts?) Dad worked for Thames tv and they were filming David for a bit on a magazine type show. I wasn't interested in David Wilkie, and didn't know who any of the trainees were. All i remember is they spent most of the time running up and down the hill.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The Modfather Paul Weller nearly kicked my pregnant wife in the stomach when he took a wild swing at some pigeons as he came round a corner of a coffee hut in Kensington Gardens back in 2009, he did apologise.

I went to see Al Murray at some comedy club in London, before he made it big and I was stood next to Phill Jupitus at the urinals, he politely nodded at me and asked me "do you come here often?" silence for a few seconds and he then said "you don't need to answer that"

Jul 7, 2003
I met Michael Winner on a kids roundabout on Bognor seafront.

I also (accidentally) kicked Graeme Sharp the Scotland and Everton forward in the shins while in a shop at Orlando Airport.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I spoke to rob Beckett on the phone the other day and it was played a few days later on the radio.

I was watching an ODI on my phone on the platform at Bicester station after our train had broken down and a bloke asked if he could watch with me because he wanted to see how “stuart” got on in first game back from a knee injury. I said “sure” and glanced at him and said “aren’t you his dad” and it was Chris Broad. He was off to meet Gladstone small for a drinking session in Birmingham.

Speaking on Gladstone small. Years ago I met him when we were both battered in the Burger King at Marylebone station. He had been at an event at lords.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I followed Felicity Kendal in a toilet and she apologised as she came out that it hadn’t flushed properly!
I stood with Zoe Ball at the airport carousel chatting as we grabbed our bags.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Had a pee in the hospitality bogs at Cheltenham next to Niall Quinn.

"Alright Niall?"

Was at a meeting in a London hotel, lift door opened so I could get in and Reg Holdsworth sauntered out in a loud, flowery shirt.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I sat next to Rami Malek and Emma Corrin on the tube the other night. Everyone kept themselves to themselves and got on with their own thing.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Maybe we need a separate thread for mundane celebs you have pee'd with. Neil Morrisey for me :thumbsup:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
In 1999 or 2000, I cleared Ruby Wax's table at the Mildmay Tearoom, Glyndebourne.

Circa 2010, I bumped into Johnny Vegas in a little bar in Hoi An, Vietnam.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here