Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Skalak

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Totally agree. His dead ball delivery and ability to set up chances is very good. What does one expect from a championship wide man /winger, the ability to go round defenders, run with the ball, not look for another player to pass to the whole time. When Solly is back Mr Skalak will be spending a lot of his time on the bench. Don't get me wrong, I do actually like him. He does do a very good impersonation of NormanWisdom

Complete rubbish. We've covered this already. People are remembering March for five or six games last season. Not the poor start he had to the season when LuaLua was destroying teams. Frankly if a player has three assists in a match, I don't care if he doesn't do much else.

He does run with the ball and try to go round defenders but also cuts inside to offer Bong room (see Bong's cross for the goal against Wolves). In our last three games we've scored seven goals of which he has four direct assists and a pass to give Bong the space to cross against Wolves. March came close to that over his good run last season but that was by far his best performances in his time at the club. Skalak on the other hand still hasn't played a year in English football and has numerous assists as well as a couple of brilliant goals. I don't understand the need to criticise and, frankly, if you like him then I'd hate to see your reaction to someone you don't like.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Agree. Problem is that he is inconsisent, brilliant one minute and embarrssingly falling over the next, hence the Marmite reactions on here. Personally, I go for his cracking delivery. Two assists yesterday, seems pretty reasonable.

he's been given 3 assists for yesterday. the knockeart goal goes down as his assist too. 6 assists this season.
He had 6 assists last season (from only 12 appearances) and 2 goals.

Knockeart has 6 goals this season but oddly no assists.
Bong has racked up 4 as he's started to find his form.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
he's been given 3 assists for yesterday. the knockeart goal goes down as his assist too. 6 assists this season.
He had 6 assists last season (from only 12 appearances) and 2 goals.

Knockeart has 6 goals this season but oddly no assists.
Bong has racked up 4 as he's started to find his form.

Forgot his clever reverse pass to AK for last. Actually not surprised AK has no assists, he tends to like to take it on himself. He should have dinked a cross instead of shooting after his mazy run.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Forgot his clever reverse pass to AK for last. Actually not surprised AK has no assists, he tends to like to take it on himself. He should have dinked a cross instead of shooting after his mazy run.

Also depends what you regard as an assist. It doesn't count but, as an example, I would give him an assist for Murray's third goal as he relentlessly chased the defence and keeper and forced the error. It doesn't count as an assist but it was selfless running that gave Murray the chance

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Our team is based around partnerships - any two from 4 in the middle, the two CBs, Murray and Baldock, Bruno and Knocky and since Bong's return to form, him and Skalak. Neither would be doing so well without the other and their increasingly good understanding. Yesterday was the best yet.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
So to sum up - your contribution here is a) to say "retarded" and b) to frantically scramble back from saying we have less threat down Knocky's wing

Great work :)

Yes, a frantic scramble it was, to go back on some words you put in my mouth.

If you were able to read and interpret, you would have seen that I said specifically over the last few games, which is indicative from Bong and Skalak's assists lately.

I do understand why you have gone on the offensive though, as your original point of view is entirely indefensible. If you are going to suggest that Skalak is "bang average" and that your "heart sinks" whenever the ball is played to him then of course i'm going to call you out on talking absolute shit, but i'll leave it to others from now on.

Says the failing-in-life perma-wrong smug rabid racist that no one likes.

Lovely that you can't let it go that I called you out on your disgusting comments about Australian aboriginals. Putting the wind up blatant racists like you is one of the great pleasures of using this site. I guess my racism is racism against white people??, can't work out what your are dribbling on about but if so, you can stick that up your EDL arse :)

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes, a frantic scramble it was, to go back on some words you put in my mouth.

If you were able to read and interpret, you would have seen that I said specifically over the last few games, which is indicative from Bong and Skalak's assists lately.

I do understand why you have gone on the offensive though, as your original point of view is entirely indefensible. If you are going to suggest that Skalak is "bang average" and that your "heart sinks" whenever the ball is played to him then of course i'm going to call you out on talking absolute shit, but i'll leave it to others from now on.

There's literally no point in arguing with him. Everyone else knows what you meant. He is clueless, as this thread illustrates perfectly.

Also noticeable that the OP has not come back with his follow up after yesterday. Maybe he's seen the light.

If only he could run with the ball, take player on and tackle, he'd be quite good. Great at crossing though.

lol he can tackle to be fair

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The point that I would make about Skalak is that he could get an assist in every game. His crosses are impeccable, his corners always go into places to be attacked. We have players who want to be on the end of crosses and the quality to match their intent. We have Murray, Dunk and Duffy specifically who want to be on the end of his crosses and if we get him into positions to put in deliveries, we're going to score goals. He was just as important as Knockaert was from January onwards last season because he made us a threat from EVERY set piece. Adding players like Murray and Duffy who live to head the ball, he becomes even more dangerous.

I like players who impact games, and nobody can argue that Skalak doesn't because simply having him on the pitch means that when we get corners and free kicks, we're a threat.

There's literally no point in arguing with him. Everyone else knows what you meant. He is clueless, as this thread illustrates perfectly.

Also noticeable that the OP has not come back with his follow up after yesterday. Maybe he's seen the light.

Here's another saddo grinding an old personal axe rather than deal in good faith with a potentially interesting debate about a player.

You can instantly disregard anything this guy says because he won't criticise any player, as that would tarnish his trainspotting superfan credentials.

Can remember wasting my time not so long ago on his ravings about Chris O'Grady was going to make an great contribution to our problems up front :facepalm: :lolol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You see this is nearer the mark. Murphy and Skalak bring different skills to the table and they are both excellent players on their day. Murphy is a better player running at full backs and can come inside as well as going wide whereas Jiri's attacking game is all about his delivery. The fact is, we wouldn't have beaten Norwich 5-0 yesterday had Murphy been playing.

And this is even nearer the mark. They're different players with different strengths, who just happen to play for the same club, in the same position. We're lucky to have them both. When that Murphy or Skalak poll was doing the rounds a few weeks back, I voted for Murphy, but Skalak's been bang on form in the last few weeks, and I'd be tempted to switch to him now.
Yesterday, and contrary to what others said, he had three assists -- the left-footed cross for Murray's header, the corner for Dunk's, and the through ball for Knockaert. Beyond those, and other dangerous crosses, corners and deliveries, he got through his normal work rate, and also had a number of flair touches, feints, good link-ups, etc. I'd say it was comfortably the best game I've seen him play for us.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Here's another saddo grinding an old personal axe rather than deal in good faith with a potentially interesting debate about a player.

You can instantly disregard anything this guy says because he won't criticise any player, as that would tarnish his trainspotting superfan credentials.

Can remember wasting my time not so long ago on his ravings about Chris O'Grady was going to make an great contribution to our problems up front :facepalm: :lolol:

If you mean I think people should support players rather than slating them, then yes I do that. This doesn't mean no debate. It means that starting threads like this (which I realise wasn't started by you) turning on a particular player is not constructive.

There are clear examples this year including Duffy (who was written off after two games), Bong and Stockdale. These three have all played their part in the best defensive record in the football league yet have come in for heavy criticism this season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
And this is even nearer the mark. They're different players with different strengths, who just happen to play for the same club, in the same position. We're lucky to have them both. When that Murphy or Skalak poll was doing the rounds a few weeks back, I voted for Murphy, but Skalak's been bang on form in the last few weeks, and I'd be tempted to switch to him now.
Yesterday, and contrary to what others said, he had three assists -- the left-footed cross for Murray's header, the corner for Dunk's, and the through ball for Knockaert. Beyond those, and other dangerous crosses, corners and deliveries, he got through his normal work rate, and also had a number of flair touches, feints, good link-ups, etc. I'd say it was comfortably the best game I've seen him play for us.

Absolutely. When all are fit, we have five wingers who all offer something different. This is a good thing. We should be looking at what each of them offer but it seems to end up with players being criticised for what they don't offer e.g. Skalak not taking on players when he has other qualities that more than make up for that.

If you mean I think people should support players rather than slating them, then yes I do that. This doesn't mean no debate. It means that starting threads like this (which I realise wasn't started by you) turning on a particular player is not constructive.

There are clear examples this year including Duffy (who was written off after two games), Bong and Stockdale. These three have all played their part in the best defensive record in the football league yet have come in for heavy criticism this season.

Oh my god report me to the mods and the Amex stewards for criticising a player :lolol:

What is it about free speech on a relatively unimportant subject as player form that churns your guts out? Come on, arguing the toss about players and occasionally getting it wrong is one of the great pleasures of being a football fan, enjoy it and lighten up!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Oh my god report me to the mods and the Amex stewards for criticising a player :lolol:

What is it about free speech on a relatively unimportant subject as player form that churns your guts out? Come on, arguing the toss about players and occasionally getting it wrong is one of the great pleasures of being a football fan, enjoy it and lighten up!

Surely then it is my right to disagree with people. I don't think it is constructive. Someone has a right to do it but others have a right to comment on it and say they are wrong. However, apparently that means they don't criticise players.

Do you not see the stupidity of writing off a player two games after they sign?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here