[Help] Moved house and previous owners left a shite load of old shite

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I honestly can’t fathom the kind of person that would leave that for someone else to deal with. I almost wish I cared as little about others as they obviously do, how easy would life be.

Yep, take anything you need then contact the solicitor to arrange them coming back and clearing it. If they arrive in person do be sure to crack open a beer and spectate as they lug it all into a van. With the occasional “ooh, that looks heavy” and “mind the roses there please”.

In Stat Towers I, I left 2 really nice display cabinets, attached to the wall in the recesses either side of the fireplace.

I mithered on about it for weeks.

Finally saying 'f**k it they're staying'.
My rational was, they've been on the wall for 10+ years.
I can't guarantee getting them off cleanly.
Pretty sure the wall behind is a mess/different colour.

All that for 2 nice cabinets, only for 3 hours later to be confronted by a filing cabinet at the top of the stairs!!!

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
In Stat Towers I, I left 2 really nice display cabinets, attached to the wall in the recesses either side of the fireplace.

I mithered on about it for weeks.

Finally saying 'f**k it they're staying'.
My rational was, they've been on the wall for 10+ years.
I can't guarantee getting them off cleanly.
Pretty sure the wall behind is a mess/different colour.

All that for 2 nice cabinets, only for 3 hours later to be confronted by a filing cabinet at the top of the stairs!!!

What part of West Sussex you moved to SB???

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
When I bought my house it had been a squat and full of crap, including 6 TVs. I put it all in the front yard so people could take it, including tons of booze. Two weeks later I got a letter from the council apologising for not removing the rubbish as I had requested, but they will try in the following 72 hours. I also received a letter from the same office, dated identically saying that if I didn't remove the rubbish from the front in the next 72 hours I would be prosecuted!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I’m guessing you visited the property on the morning of exchange? Any decent solicitor would advise you to do this. It’s worth doing day before completion too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is there a small woodworking lathe in that lot?

If so I will have it off you!

I build wooden ships and am taking this to the next level by creating my own masts!

8290C64D-A642-422A-9068-1B1200D01A2E.jpeg
4BE27805-B90E-4637-9A23-F18391F59587.jpeg
1947FF44-A56E-458B-BACD-A79CAF818969.jpeg

My latest efforts….the tram is the San Francisco cable car

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
What if any recourse do I have?

I've photographed the house.
I'll send them off to my excellent solicitor, later.

Just wondering what he's likely to come back and say.

They filled in the form saying the house would be clear

We're talking:-

Filing cabinet.
Clothes.
Bookshelves.
Plants.
Bedside cabinets.
Tat on the walls (amulets and wind chimes!)
An entire shed is completely full.
Curtains etc.
3 wardrobes.

It's all been slung in the garden but it's going to cost a small fortune in skips to get rid of it all.

Have you checked the loft yet?

BTW I'd hold fire on the shed contents, there could be treasure there!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dazzer, I've been meaning to ask.

Have you got any idea what Jack Hargreaves had on all those reels in his shed? Is it fishing line, sorted by type of fish he wants to catch?

It's been bugging me and I've got to find out.

They’re film reels, nothing to do with fishing line. Seems as though he had a collection of films he edited to use clips in his own programmes that were filmed in the famous shed - maybe that’s what they are :shrug:

From Wiki :

Hargreaves had worked with Steve Wade on How before Southern Television lost its franchise. In 1985 Hargreaves worked with Wade to make 27 new Out of Town episodes for video release. Instead of the studio 'shed' that had been a mainstay of the earlier series, these episodes were made in Hargreaves's real shed at his last home - Raven Cottage, Belchalwell, Dorset.[citation needed]

Using original cut film inserts he had bought from Southern, Hargreaves acquired a Steenbeck editing machine and, with Wade, selected films to be inserted into the new series with new links shot in the shed. They were distributed by Primetime, later Endemol, as VHS tapes and later DVDs[citation needed].

Hargreaves also authored a number of audio-tapes and long play records on his favourite subjects.[citation needed]

In 2004, a full-length edition of Out of Town, first broadcast on 23 May 1980, was included on a DVD released by ITV Meridian to mark the closing of Southern Television's Southampton studios. Until 2012 this remained the only one of Hargreaves' original broadcast programmes to have been published in any format. The whereabouts of the remaining master tapes was unknown for many years but 34 complete original episodes of Out of Town – broadcast in 1980 and 1981 – eventually came to light, and were made available on DVD.[citation needed]

Hargreaves' stepson, Simon Baddeley, bequeathed rights in his stepfather's books, film and sound footage, purchased Out of Town DVD rights from Endemol, restoring and re-releasing many more broadcasts via his licensee, Network on Air.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
They’re film reels, nothing to do with fishing line. Seems as though he had a collection of films he edited to use clips in his own programmes that were filmed in the famous shed - maybe that’s what they are :shrug:

From Wiki :

Hargreaves had worked with Steve Wade on How before Southern Television lost its franchise. In 1985 Hargreaves worked with Wade to make 27 new Out of Town episodes for video release. Instead of the studio 'shed' that had been a mainstay of the earlier series, these episodes were made in Hargreaves's real shed at his last home - Raven Cottage, Belchalwell, Dorset.[citation needed]

Using original cut film inserts he had bought from Southern, Hargreaves acquired a Steenbeck editing machine and, with Wade, selected films to be inserted into the new series with new links shot in the shed. They were distributed by Primetime, later Endemol, as VHS tapes and later DVDs[citation needed].

Hargreaves also authored a number of audio-tapes and long play records on his favourite subjects.[citation needed]

In 2004, a full-length edition of Out of Town, first broadcast on 23 May 1980, was included on a DVD released by ITV Meridian to mark the closing of Southern Television's Southampton studios. Until 2012 this remained the only one of Hargreaves' original broadcast programmes to have been published in any format. The whereabouts of the remaining master tapes was unknown for many years but 34 complete original episodes of Out of Town – broadcast in 1980 and 1981 – eventually came to light, and were made available on DVD.[citation needed]

Hargreaves' stepson, Simon Baddeley, bequeathed rights in his stepfather's books, film and sound footage, purchased Out of Town DVD rights from Endemol, restoring and re-releasing many more broadcasts via his licensee, Network on Air.

[MENTION=21215]Dazzer[/MENTION], thank you for taking the time and trouble to post that. It's all news to me. I knew he was into his hunting shooting and fishing, hence my theory of it being fishing line. From what you say, film reels are much more likely. In spite of my not being into any of those country pursuits, I always found his programmes interesting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
[MENTION=21215]Dazzer[/MENTION], thank you for taking the time and trouble to post that. It's all news to me. I knew he was into his hunting shooting and fishing, hence my theory of it being fishing line. From what you say, film reels are much more likely. In spite of my not being into any of those country pursuits, I always found his programmes interesting.

Always interesting to follow up….you’re welcome. I loved his programmes as a kid, there wasn’t much fishing on TV then and I was a bit obsessed. He was also the inspiration for ‘coughing’ Bob Fleming on the Fast Show (Paul Whitehouse being a very keen angler who’d watched the programmes years ago).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I moving (soon) and I would have loved to posted some pictures of what I've seen but didn't out of respect for the previous owners families.

Right in the middle of London, some serious serious hoarding going on.

Went to one place very near Clapham South, right opposite the common. Absolutely packed to the ceiling with collected electronic testing equipment going back to the 60/70s.

Imagine your shed but times that by a hundred. Seriously....

Some rooms were inaccessible. I've seen others similar.

20 years ago I would have viewed that as "a project", not now.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Always interesting to follow up….you’re welcome. I loved his programmes as a kid, there wasn’t much fishing on TV then and I was a bit obsessed. He was also the inspiration for ‘coughing’ Bob Fleming on the Fast Show (Paul Whitehouse being a very keen angler who’d watched the programmes years ago).

That's more stuff I didn't know. The inspiration for coughing Bob Fleming - brilliant. I've actually gone and googled Jack on YouTube - there's one from the 70s I guess - the cars are a trip down memory lane!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Have a look at this - 23:30 onwards…..

https://youtu.be/rSWCkVdXpC4

I'd forgotten how good the Fast Show was. I'm going to find more of them when we settle down for dinner and the TV tonight.

As a further digression, Mark Williams, who played several characters in the Fast Show, has just split from his wife and bought a house in Piddinghoe. His wife complained that he spent too much time.......in his shed. True story.
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], sorry for derailing your thread. Back to your most excellent shed and it's not so excellent contents....

matey

Mar 16, 2014
Is there a small woodworking lathe in that lot?

If so I will have it off you!

I build wooden ships and am taking this to the next level by creating my own masts!

My latest efforts….the tram is the San Francisco cable car

I'm about to start on building the Berlin tram from OcCre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports