MOTD2, BBC One 22:30

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not another thread of needy 'Please say something nice about us' again...

Anyway, I really like Jermaine Defoe on there. Very articulate and understands the game well. I'd like to see him as a regular.

Could save the BBC a mint on Alan Shearer.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Not another thread of needy 'Please say something nice about us' again...

Anyway, I really like Jermaine Defoe on there. Very articulate and understands the game well. I'd like to see him as a regular.

Could save the BBC a mint on Alan Shearer.

..... Whose only contribution to the analysis was that West Ham shouldn't be `tired at this stage of the season`.

ffs.

How much does he get per word?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I really don't get the obsession with our coverage/lack of coverage across all forms of national media...

1. We are a small club. Big clubs have more fans, attract more interest and when you're in the game of generating paper sales, webpage visits, viewers or listeners, you are always going to err on the side of content that is going to bring the most people your way.

2. Despite the above, I think we very much punch about our weight in terms of media coverage. I've long thought we are media darlings, of sorts, relative to comparable clubs. Maybe it's our rags-to-riches story. Maybe we're a media-friendly club. Maybe we're close to London so easy to reach. Maybe lots of media types are from and/or live in Brighton. Regardless, we seem to do better than OK most of the time.

3. Regardless, why does anyone care?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
..... Whose only contribution to the analysis was that West Ham shouldn't be `tired at this stage of the season`.

ffs.

How much does he get per word?

He did talk about how brave Newcastle were the week after they parked the bus at the Amex. Earned his fee there, I guess.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I really don't get the obsession with our coverage/lack of coverage across all forms of national media...

1. We are a small club. Big clubs have more fans, attract more interest and when you're in the game of generating paper sales, webpage visits, viewers or listeners, you are always going to err on the side of content that is going to bring the most people your way.

2. Despite the above, I think we very much punch about our weight in terms of media coverage. I've long thought we are media darlings, of sorts, relative to comparable clubs. Maybe it's our rags-to-riches story. Maybe we're a media-friendly club. Maybe we're close to London so easy to reach. Maybe lots of media types are from and/or live in Brighton. Regardless, we seem to do better than OK most of the time.

I agree with this. They love us now. It took a while after hughton went because his mates in the media were not happy about us “getting above ourselves” or “be careful what you wish for” etc etc. the media all love us and the way we play (although still seem a bit shocked when we do well).

As you say. It doesn’t really matter though.

el punal

Because when you travel for hours to see your team play, and play well, and win, return home knackered but happy it’s lovely to read all the praise. For me the world seems a much better place. :drink:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I didn’t watch this week but I see an article on BBC Sport where Shearer is getting very excited and praising recruitment, Howe and unbelievably raving about how brilliant the new owners are with no reference at all to being a little uneasy about who and what they are.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

It’s simply the feel good factor

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
So much of a fan’s perception of TV favouritism is subjective.

I agree that smaller clubs should get a bigger share of the coverage but demand drives supply and the likes of West Ham, Leeds etc have greater fan bases whether we like it or not.

I’d also wager every fan of every club will say their club are hard done by…(eg City fans will say there’s an obsession with Klopp, Arsenal say an obsession with Kane etc)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think our media representation is pretty decent now, what we have are some very good players but no real outstanding ones.

Coached by Potter and when collectively on song becomes a quality team.

Teams with Stella big signings will always get more media attention as the expectation level rises.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As far as fan base is concerned we’re still a small fish in a big pond and have to accept that, for now at least. Every season in the PL builds our support beyond Sussex so we will get bigger, but it’s going to take a long time. Just enjoy the fact that we still get a few more Saturday 3pm KOs than the clubs with big fan bases.

For those feeling needy, just strike up a conversation with any football fan. Everyone I speak to is well impressed with our players and how GP creates a synergy.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I agree with this. They love us now. It took a while after hughton went because his mates in the media were not happy about us “getting above ourselves” or “be careful what you wish for” etc etc. the media all love us and the way we play (although still seem a bit shocked when we do well).

As you say. It doesn’t really matter though.

Graham Souness said he'd buy a season ticket if he lived here. Tony Gale said before the game yesterday that we were one of his favourite teams to watch and people on here have highlighted the praise on MOTD2 last night.

Its safe to say the genie is out of the bottle. Even the laziest of pundits realise how good we are.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

All of this. MOTD are almost always throwing praise at us……

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm more than happy if nobody talks about us. They can just keep prattling on about Leeds and Newcastle all the like. Meanwhile we can just keep on merrily tiptoeing up the league

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Graham Souness said he'd buy a season ticket if he lived here. Tony Gale said before the game yesterday that we were one of his favourite teams to watch and people on here have highlighted the praise on MOTD2 last night.

Its safe to say the genie is out of the bottle. Even the laziest of pundits realise how good we are.
Souness has a season ticket at bmuff so wouldn't read too much into that comment !!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm needy and my most eagerly anticipated visit after we win, is the Media Review on the Albion website. All the best comments in one handy place.:albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports