MOTD2, BBC One 22:30

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Carragher was awful yesterday. Even after we had taken control of the game he was still trying to make a point of us being open and stretched and looking a bit un organised. Did he not watch our system last year ? He seemed to have a narrative in his head how it would go and due to the first 10 mins became fixated on this viewpoint. He eventually gave up his narrative but must of been the last person to realise what was actually happening on the pitch.

More bollocks followed in 2nd half.

Awful punditry from him yesterday

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah, I spotted that too. Was wondering if Martin Montoya had somehow come back from a loan deal we didn't realise he was on!

But I'm going with Mitoma and some dodgy predictive text system at the BBC

I'm guessing Montoya and Andone used to be 21 and 22? And they just hadn't updated who it should've been for those squad numbers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Heard a post match via BBC Football Daily podcast this morning where Ten Haag said "teams like Brighton will kill you" if you switch off/don't work hard enough.

Nice to hear #teamslikebrighton being used in the positive sense for once.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
In that screenshot posted above - you can see the ref's VAR monitor at the bottom. Even if not an outright overturn of the on-field decision, I would have thought both the McT challenge and the Welbeck pen is a "Paul, we think you might have missed the force of the contact on this one" and let him decide if he did or not. Like you say, VAR now just looks like another clandestine process without any real oversight, impartiality or anything else.

100%. Exactly the type of foul you want the referee to look at on the monitor. If he still thinks that's not a penalty then someone needs to ask him to read the rules of the game again.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Chappers: "Before we praise Brighton to the hilt..."

Murphy: "The reason they were able to play this way was because they had Danny Welbeck up front."
"Intelligent runs...look at this for hold-up play...what you want from your striker, you want him to get in there...getting in between those centre-halves."
"He led the line as well as I've seen him."

Murphy: (On the penalty) "They got away with one there."

Chappers: "If you look at the evidence should you be surprised about the result?"

Understandably a fair amount of analysis on United with a new manager, but plenty of praise of us from Chappers and Murphy.

Dublin was a little less forthcoming and spoke more about United, but he said this on 5 Live after the game today.

"Brighton were better, outstanding in the first half."

"All of them put in sturdy performances, 8 out of 10 today. Brighton's win was fully deserved..."

My only issue with the punditry was Dublin saying on paper the Man Utd players are better..... not many I'd take out of that Utd side, Bruno, Eriksen, probably Ronaldo. Sancho not shown enough yet in the PL, Rashford's confidence is shot, but the back 7 - Goalkeepers, defence and McTominay and Fred I wouldn't want anywhere near our team.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Anyway back to MOTD2. Amongst all the chatting I picked up on one of DIon Dublins comments. He said "On paper the Man Utd players are better"

Would I take Maguire over Dunk? De Gea over Sanchez? Shaw over Solly (Yeah, I know he played on the right)? There's no question Webster and Moises are better than Mctominay and Martinez. There's no way i'd pick Fred over Alexis. On yesterday's evidence there is a case for Welbeck over Ronaldo.

Man for Man - at best - it is at best debatable if they are better players on paper. I don't accept Dion's wisdom that they are. We've beat them at their place, smashed them 4-0 at ours and were really unlucky not to get a point with 10 men last season. Anyone blindly backing Man Utd for their acca needs their head examined. They are a shadow of the 90s team. If it wasn't for the bias they get at their place, I'd be having the lot on us finishing above them this season.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Carragher was awful yesterday. Even after we had taken control of the game he was still trying to make a point of us being open and stretched and looking a bit un organised. Did he not watch our system last year ? He seemed to have a narrative in his head how it would go and due to the first 10 mins became fixated on this viewpoint. He eventually gave up his narrative but must of been the last person to realise what was actually happening on the pitch.

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that Carragher is a complete tw*t, best ignored.

:wanker:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
My only issue with the punditry was Dublin saying on paper the Man Utd players are better..... not many I'd take out of that Utd side, Bruno, Eriksen, probably Ronaldo. Sancho not shown enough yet in the PL, Rashford's confidence is shot, but the back 7 - Goalkeepers, defence and McTominay and Fred I wouldn't want anywhere near our team.

Anyway back to MOTD2. Amongst all the chatting I picked up on one of DIon Dublins comments. He said "On paper the Man Utd players are better"

Would I take Maguire over Dunk? De Gea over Sanchez? Shaw over Solly (Yeah, I know he played on the right)? There's no question Webster and Moises are better than Mctominay and Martinez. There's no way i'd pick Fred over Alexis. On yesterday's evidence there is a case for Welbeck over Ronaldo.

Man for Man - at best - it is at best debatable if they are better players on paper. I don't accept Dion's wisdom that they are. We've beat them at their place, smashed them 4-0 at ours and were really unlucky not to get a point with 10 men last season. Anyone blindly backing Man Utd for their acca needs their head examined. They are a shadow of the 90s team. If it wasn't for the bias they get at their place, I'd be having the lot on us finishing above them this season.

Great minds!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Indeed, he was writing us off as being too open from the off. He's a dickhead and fortunately I don't understand half of what he's saying.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun

And the interesting comment frm the Sky commentator at the start of the game - 'De Gea is one of only two players on the pitch who have won the premier league with Manu U - the other one is Danny Welbeck'. Man U no longer have a team packed with serial winners so #TeamsLikeBrighton have no need to be afraid of them

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Dermot Gallagher, Stephen Warnock and Sue Smith all agreed that Welbeck's shove was a penalty, and that McTominay was a "Lucky Boy" to get away with a yellow his studs up tackle on Caicedo on Ref Watch/Sky. Yet more United bias in the media. .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The defence is rank, but I'd suggest there are a fair few Utd players who in ISOLATION would improve our team.

Their problem is they are now all so toxic, and so shitehouse as a collective, we can no longer see the trees for the wood.

Team v Individuals, as already proven Team wins.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

It feels like that, but we should note that this same group of United players, with dreadful management, poor morale and so on, still finished 6th in the league last season. So it's probably fair to say they are better than ours on paper

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sloghtly off topic, but if MOTD didn't dwell on the refereeing shockers, Ref Watch on SSN was scathing - Dermot, the presenter and the pundits all 100% it was a penalty, and three out of four called it a red caid (including Dermot; the presenter was 50/50).
Of course, Dermot couldn't quite bring himself to use the word 'wrong' - the ref and the VAR may have seen it differently!!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

I thought that as well. I think pundits get confussed with the perceived value, just because United over paid for them it does not make them better.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The defence is rank, but I'd suggest there are a fair few Utd players who in ISOLATION would improve our team.

Their problem is they are now all so toxic, and so shitehouse as a collective, we can no longer see the trees for the wood.

Team v Individuals, as already proven Team wins.

I think you'll find that under GPs tutelage, all of the Utd players would improve massively but still might not get in our team!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports