Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] MOTD tonight

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Thought Hughton was great because he provided a manager’s tactical oversight. No matter how great a player is, I think without managing they don’t get the full tactical picture. Thought CH was a revelation.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Thought Hughton was great because he provided a manager’s tactical oversight. No matter how great a player is, I think without managing they don’t get the full tactical picture. Thought CH was a revelation.

Me too.

I also thought there was pride in the way he described us. He got us to the promised land to make this sort of performance possible.

Thanks Chris.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I don't usually watch motd, it's bias towards the big teams gets tiresome, but I watched this morning and was pleasantly surprised with the lack of focus on Spurs and praise for us.
I was expecting "Spurs were poor and should be beating #teamslikebrighton" but it was nothing but praise for how we shut them out, how good Potter's tactics were and how we controlled the game. Good to see Chris on there too, very complimentary about us.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I don't usually watch motd, it's bias towards the big teams gets tiresome, but I watched this morning and was pleasantly surprised with the lack of focus on Spurs and praise for us.
I was expecting "Spurs were poor and should be beating #teamslikebrighton" but it was nothing but praise for how we shut them out, how good Potter's tactics were and how we controlled the game. Good to see Chris on there too, very complimentary about us.

They even said ‘this is not about Spurs being poor’ and explained how we stopped them playing well.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Anyone else watching MOTD again this morning? :)

I actually peaked a little early yesterday and fell asleep before it started, can't imagine why :blush:

But watched this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. And we wouldn't have got the chance to do what we did yesterday if it wasn't for Chris :bowdown:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Understandable if it were so though. They are on for CL and we are on for nothing.

That said, I don't think they will do that, they used to - before they starting getting a social media kicking over it by smaller clubs supporters.

They'll be fawning over Potter's tactical masterclass, talking about our press and in particular Bissouma's performance, with clips and analysis.

THEN they'll say, "but we must talk about Spurs - they didn't turn up today, did they Chris (Hughton)?" and that will conclude the coverage.

£500 says I'm right.

Pay up...

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
So just the commentator being a bit of a numpty by apportioning some blame to Cucurella in ‘that’ incident

Apart from that all good

I'd imagine that if Cucurella had done what all big 6 players would have done in that situation and thrown themselves to the floor and rolled around 'in agony', then it would have been a red. By staying on his feet it made it far easier to give a yellow.

The way Tottenham players where play acting yesterday, there is no way their player would have stayed on their feet, and i'd wager that a lot of their players would then have been in the face of the ref, trying to persuade him that it's a red card offense too, which may have also meant that if the ref only awarded a yellow, the VAR ref is more likely to get the ref to review on on the pitch side monitors.

It's clearly a tactic used to try to get those fine margins that can win a game and the lower you go in this division, or down the football pyramid, the more honest the players seem.

Is that because they have played in a more physical league (like the Championship) and know they have to be stronger and battle more, or do the top sides get more protection from refs who make it easier for their players to simulate a foul because there is a bias (conscious or unconscious) that these are the top players so the lesser teams have to foul them to be competitive?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I love Lineker presenting MOTD but when it’s Chappers you get a completely different commentary as he invites the pundits to properly detail what’s been happening in an “educate me” kind of way.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I love Lineker presenting MOTD but when it’s Chappers you get a completely different commentary as he invites the pundits to properly detail what’s been happening in an “educate me” kind of way.

Chapman is a journalist. Lineker isn't. I don't mind Lineker as a TV personality, but I can't stand him presenting MotD. Its all clubby ribbing of his mates and bad jokes. It adds nothing.

Anyone with BT Sport might like to know that they are repeating our game tomorrow morning at 8am on BT3.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Chapman is a journalist. Lineker isn't. I don't mind Lineker as a TV personality, but I can't stand him presenting MotD. Its all clubby ribbing of his mates and bad jokes. It adds nothing.

Anyone with BT Sport might like to know that they are repeating our game tomorrow morning at 8am on BT3.

And if the game on last is a 0-0 he acts like he's been made to stare at paint drying. Like this is America and there has to be a winner. The big-eared pun-tastic pan-alliterative ponce.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Me too.

I also thought there was pride in the way he described us. He got us to the promised land to make this sort of performance possible.

Thanks Chris.
Exactly. He played a huge role in where we are today, a huge role that will never be forgotten. I've said before (but it may never happen now), if CH brings a team to the Amex I shall make a special effort to attend, and I shall applaud him until my hands fall off.

And yes, I never watch MoTD unless we've either won or drawn away, (and then I record it and only watch our bit), so that's two weeks running I've watched it!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Me too.

Thanks Chris.

This and this.

Add me to the list of people who prefer Chappers too. I quite liked the Lineker schtick at first but it's grown tired over the years. Having a solid pro presenter and an ex manager was a breath of fresh air compared to GL and Shearer. Time for a changing of the guard? Just so long as it's Chappers and not "Alec" Scott.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Yes, I’m fully aware that Chapman is a presenter/journalist, and that’s why, as I said, it’s a completely different show when he presents.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Exactly. He played a huge role in where we are today, a huge role that will never be forgotten. I've said before (but it may never happen now), if CH brings a team to the Amex I shall make a special effort to attend, and I shall applaud him until my hands fall off.

And yes, I never watch MoTD unless we've either won or drawn away, (and then I record it and only watch our bit), so that's two weeks running I've watched it!
This is a real thing then!?.... I definitely dont even consider watching MOTD unless we get at least a point.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is a real thing then!?.... I definitely dont even consider watching MOTD unless we get at least a point.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Depending on the point.
Liverpool yes Norwich no.
I stayed up late to watch MotD.
I was an unplanned viewer Sunday morning.
Then watched it with Jnr later in the day.

'The Run' got so bad I was struggling to tune into my other football broadcast Football Weekly.
I'll be avidly listening later today.
As well as eagerly awaiting The Tuesday Club (Arsenal pod) tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here