Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Most wonderful pub outside Sussex, and why?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Screenshot_20230801-195306~2.png

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Screenshot_20230802_091841_Samsung Internet.jpg

The Anchor at High Offley in Shropshire. Canalside, open 3 days a week and only has 1 beer, Wadsworth 6X. It's like nowhere I've ever been before. It's basically someone's house with a bar in one room.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Great memories of The Grey Walls Inn in Windermere. It’s near the top end so easy to get into the less busy Ambleside. But had a lovely time staying here. Long Autumn walks followed by dinner and ale by the fireside.

IMG_0307.jpeg

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've so many I'd be here all day listing them. Making trips up north on business a lot I've taken to staying overnight somewhere where a decent pint can be found. Sadly a lot of the pubs are closing down now.
On a trip west and for a great welcome, good food & ale and the required thatched roof and beams I stopped off once at The Plough Inn near Swindon. https://www.theplough.info/
Three days in Gloucester and there I found this place https://www.pelicangloucester.co.uk/
Wolves Away. Making a two day trip taking in the 12 micro pubs of Burton. But I'm looking for a lunch break pub just off the M42/Tamworth area. Any recomendations?
Greatest pub that no longer exsists. Fiddle Inn T'he Bag, near Warrington. https://en-gb.facebook.com/groups/131611524350/ This place was stuck in the 40's with 1000's of old memorabelia throughout the pub. Went twice and the guy remembered me second visit one year on!.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Found a lovely one last time I was in York. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me. Ye Old Trippe is an obvious one already mentioned. Years ago we'd frequent Sinclairs in Manchester for any away game in that area. Not sure if it even exists any more. The Taps in Lytham St Annes is great - Bill Beaumont's local, a surprisingly good range of beers for a Greene King, highly eccentric locals and it backed onto the hotel we stayed in up there.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Two similar pubs with different vibes, both on the coast...

Square & Compass, Worth Matravers. Has a fossil museum and good cider. Near the beautiful Chapman's Pool.

Pigs Nose, East Prawle. Great little quirky main bar plus music venue. Cheap and cheerful food. Near Macely Cove my favourite beach.

Just the most beautiful locations and both know the importance of a pub having character and being able to get loose. Love them both dearly.

Last edited:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Black Lion Abergorlech, old pub, river side garden, home made food, local beers (unfortunately not Harveys) not busy, middle of nowhere (Wales).

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
...open 3 days a week...
So that's why it's always closed when I try to get in :)

Sounds a bit like the pub in Burnham (Thorpe, or something) in Norfolk. Nelson's local. Last time I was there, they still brought out beer in large jugs. Not a gimmick, just the way they've always done it...

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Pigs Nose, East Prawle , South Devon. Either the current landlord or a recently previous one had ,I believe, been a roadie for The Who.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The Sheppey in Lower Godney near Glastonbury...... quirky, cool, great food, great cider, great wines,... great vibes....

The-Sheppey-6.jpg
rfff-The-Sheppey-interior-2022-09.jpg
The-Sheppey-2.jpg
3232.jpg

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The Sheppey in Lower Godney near Glastonbury...... quirky, cool, great food, great cider, great wines,... great vibes....

View attachment 164398View attachment 164399View attachment 164400View attachment 164401
New owners recently so don't know what it's like post COVID but used to go a lot.
Has this great balance of a really high end kitchen and kind of dining area and then the little pub itself that despite the former has some right Somerset oddballs in. A couple of times I've had to stay in one the rooms (very nice) because I've carried away. Great cider choice. Really good cask.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here