Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Morrisey at The Palladium

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
But those are all people who were subject to long running police investigations, person hunts and long trials. They were repeatedly in the news.

Manchester was a single, one off event, over in seconds in which the perpetrator died. It's good that his name died with him. He got neither his virgins in paradise nor the notoriety that might inspire others.

Why has Morrisey not written about 9/11? Higher death toll surely? Except that the people who ran that operation were known, hunted down and killed.

How many IRA bombers can you name without googling?
Agree, why does his name need to be remembered? He can be forgotten about and never spoken of again, not giving him the legendary status he wanted. I suspect there’s another motive for Morrissey and O’Neill as why they want that particular name remembered.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good question Frutos, I’d never thought of it quite in this context.

Harty Junior knows who Peter Suttcliffe was, Bishop, Huntley, Whiting and Bellfield, but like me without google he didn’t have a clue who the Manchester Bomber was despite killing more people in total than the aforementioned list of murderers, and more recently.

Is this the media world we live in, they process/educate us into what they want us to take in?
Now now. Are you suggesting that the media has a pro Islamic Terrorist agenda? If not, what is the agenda?

You should read some of the other replies. People who kill strangers in the name of their madness are not people whose names we remember. The little shits who killed classrooms of kids in Dunblane and Hungerford. And the Lake district rampage (12 dead) in 2010. Celebrating the name of this sort of arsehole isn't what we do anymore :shrug:

The Spectator always has an agenda.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brendan O’Neill is a thick idiot, who contributes nothing to society.
I had never heard of him so looked him up. I have come across his type many times before. someone who picks obvious topics to have a simple 'controversial' but hackneyed opion on. In fact, I read a similar piece many many years ago in the NME....at least that journo can probably look back and say 'I was only 18 at the time.' I'm sure some will find this article thought provoking......most will just roll their eyes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think there are far more interesting Rock and Roll rebels than Morrissey these days, I love the smiths, but he’s past it now, the tunes don’t stack up and he’s become an obsession for Right Wing grifters. It’s about him, not the message or the music, and that’s when I get bored of him. It also needs to emphasised that Brendan O’Neill is a thick idiot, who contributes nothing to society.
On the topic of Morrissey, he was finished in 1986. I stopped listening to him long before he turned into Gammon. Somehow, I find it difficult to imagine the OP being a lifelong fan, and he has, not for the first time, fallen into a right win bear trap set, one can't help suggesting, for people with his susceptibilities......the fear that the nation is under attack by woke, trained Marxists hidden in plain sight.

The wit and wisdom of Steve Morrissey:

• "Of the Norway massacre in which 77 people died, Morrissey heralds to a Warsaw crowd, “That is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried shit every day.”"
  • Discussing animal cruelty in China, Morrissey tells The Guardian, “You can’t help but feel that the Chinese people are a subspecies.”
  • When asked about an incident in which an Australian student shot a starting pistol at the Prince of Wales, Morrissey responds, “I wish that Prince Charles had been shot. I think it would have made the world a more interesting place.”
  • Morrissey laments the failed assassination attempt on Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher after the Brighton hotel bombing. “The sorrow of the IRA Brighton bombing is that Thatcher escaped unscathed.”

Were you aware of all this, Ian? ???

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Someone who described Chinese people as a 'sub-species' and promotes the Fascist group Britain First is definitely a racist and he was hiding in plain sight all along.
when he was asked his thoughts about animal cruelty and live dog/cat farms in preparation for food, he replied that any people that do that are clearly a sub-species. Now I would imagine many many many people would agree with that in context.

as for his promotion of Britain First, I will have to read up on that, and if indeed he did then obviously that is something of dubious and narrow minded, seeing as he is from an immigrant family and championed Mexican social issues in America when he lived there, and is idolised by millions of Mexican Americans.

he is indeed contrary, I think it makes him interesting though.

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
But those are all people who were subject to long running police investigations, person hunts and long trials. They were repeatedly in the news.

Manchester was a single, one off event, over in seconds in which the perpetrator died. It's good that his name died with him. He got neither his virgins in paradise nor the notoriety that might inspire others.

Why has Morrisey not written about 9/11? Higher death toll surely? Except that the people who ran that operation were known, hunted down and killed.

How many IRA bombers can you name without googling?
Precisely. There are LOADS of reasons as to why her name is more widely known that his, to wit; time elapsed, contemporaneous reporting practices and salacious tabloiding, the 'fewer channels' theory, the fact she was a woman, the notoriety and ongoing use of her mugshot, etc and so on. BoN seems to think that it's one of life's great mysteries, which says more about him tbh.

"Five years after the bombing, Morrissey is still furious about it." is a laughable thing to write. Who isn't?

It's pretty clear given how BoN ends the article what his main thrust is, and it's the same old anti-woke schtick. And I say this as someone who still loves Mozza despite him being somewhat of a demented goon these days. He was dripping with irony back in the 80s and 90s and it can't all have oozed out yet. Can it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I say this as someone who still loves Mozza despite him being somewhat of a demented goon these days. He was dripping with irony back in the 80s and 90s and it can't all have oozed out yet. Can it?
Personally I find it quite difficult to like him these days. It's sad though, as he has penned some excellent songs and You Are the Quarry is one of the greatest come backs of all time. That album, and period, was quite majestic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On the topic of Morrissey, he was finished in 1986.

I disagree with this, You Are The Quarry was a superb comeback. The album itself is the strongest of his solo stuff and it had a bunch of b-sides which were worthy of being singles in their own right.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I disagree with this, You Are The Quarry was a superb comeback. The album itself is the strongest of his solo stuff and it had a bunch of b-sides which were worthy of being singles in their own right.
Is that the one with Vini Reilly on? I must confess I haven't heard it. I went from 86 to 91 without listening to any new music owing to personal circumstances. Happy to retract my hyperbole.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Yes, and also Ringleader of the Tormentors.

But in the last decade or so, he really has become an obnoxious ultra-Right-wing racist bore; a garrulous Gammon. The Oscar Wilde-style humour and bon mots of his early career - when interviews with him were both intelligent and often hilarious - have been replaced by bitterness and bile.

The tragic irony is that he used to be a voice for the discriminated against, the geeks and various minorities who didn't 'fit in' with mainstream society, yet now he associates with fascistic elements and other 'hard men' (his obsession with East End gangsters and boxers!) who would persecute and beat-up those who once looked up to Morrissey as a spokesman or role model.

He sickens me now, although I like his music up util the mid-2000s

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I still adore much of his music. SM, much of it with Marr, was a music genius.

I’ll able to detach that from political views that polarise it seems everyone else. That’s the same for me (almost) wherever the artist sits almost anywhere on issues.

That said, I love his championing of animal rights, a trailblazer.

He’s often a target for the haters. I find twats like Le Tissier and that prick from Pink Floyd abhorrent, but they escape the fury.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Interesting.

The musician recently faced condemnation after wearing a badge featuring the logo of far-right anti-Islam political party For Britain during a recent TV appearance on Fallon.

The performance led to posters for his new album ‘California Son’ to be removed at Merseyrail stations and for his music to be banned from the worlds oldest record shop amid other criticism.
Asked by Rayner why he has not sued The Guardian, who were among the titles to publish critical articles about him in the aftermath, Morrissey said: “As a so-called entertainer, I have no human rights… apparently… because you put yourself ‘out there’. If I were a postman I would have won a Harassment Case against The Guardian and been awarded 10 million pounds in damages by now.”

Later, he added: “The Guardian have pestered and relentlessly harassed musicians in my life urging them not to work with me again. In these days of casual knife crime and hurling of acid, you’d expect The Guardian to maintain a certain careful morality. But no. If I suffered physical harm as a direct result of the Guardian’s tyranny, you can imagine cheers and champagne exploding through their offices… it chills the blood. The Guardian fully believes it is a political party.”
Rayner asked Morrissey to clarify his political position. The musician says he has “never” been a supporter of UKIP or of Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage, but says that “it’s obvious that [Farage] would make a good Prime Minister.”

He also maintained that he “absolutely” supports For Britain, saying: “The UK is a dangerously hateful place now, and I think we need someone to put a stop to the lunacy and to speak for everyone. I see [For Britain leader] Anne Marie Waters as this person. She is extremely intelligent, ferociously dedicated to this country, she is very engaging, and also very funny at times.”
When asked about being called a racist, Morrissey said: “If you call someone racist in modern Britain you are telling them that you have run out of words. You are shutting the debate down and running off. The word is meaningless now. Everyone ultimately prefers their own race … does this make everyone racist?”
He later referenced David Bowie, who at one point in his career expressed admiration for Adolf Hitler and fascism. Morrissey said: “Someone made the point the other day about David Bowie’s famous ‘England would benefit from a fascist government’ comment… and his admiration for Hitler… and how Hitler was as stylish as Jagger… and how the UK needed a ‘complete right wing leader’. Could you imagine if I’d said THAT!
Morrissey said “Now, of course, I sat privately with David many times, and he wasn’t remotely fascist… although it has been said that he’d visited Hitler’s bunker. But, how many writers at The Guardian have David Bowie albums? All of them, probably! Hypocrisy?”

he has a very valid point about Bowie, let’s not forget Claptons racist outburst live on stage about immigration.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Interesting.

The musician recently faced condemnation after wearing a badge featuring the logo of far-right anti-Islam political party For Britain during a recent TV appearance on Fallon.

The performance led to posters for his new album ‘California Son’ to be removed at Merseyrail stations and for his music to be banned from the worlds oldest record shop amid other criticism.
Asked by Rayner why he has not sued The Guardian, who were among the titles to publish critical articles about him in the aftermath, Morrissey said: “As a so-called entertainer, I have no human rights… apparently… because you put yourself ‘out there’. If I were a postman I would have won a Harassment Case against The Guardian and been awarded 10 million pounds in damages by now.”

Later, he added: “The Guardian have pestered and relentlessly harassed musicians in my life urging them not to work with me again. In these days of casual knife crime and hurling of acid, you’d expect The Guardian to maintain a certain careful morality. But no. If I suffered physical harm as a direct result of the Guardian’s tyranny, you can imagine cheers and champagne exploding through their offices… it chills the blood. The Guardian fully believes it is a political party.”
Rayner asked Morrissey to clarify his political position. The musician says he has “never” been a supporter of UKIP or of Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage, but says that “it’s obvious that [Farage] would make a good Prime Minister.”

He also maintained that he “absolutely” supports For Britain, saying: “The UK is a dangerously hateful place now, and I think we need someone to put a stop to the lunacy and to speak for everyone. I see [For Britain leader] Anne Marie Waters as this person. She is extremely intelligent, ferociously dedicated to this country, she is very engaging, and also very funny at times.”
When asked about being called a racist, Morrissey said: “If you call someone racist in modern Britain you are telling them that you have run out of words. You are shutting the debate down and running off. The word is meaningless now. Everyone ultimately prefers their own race … does this make everyone racist?”
He later referenced David Bowie, who at one point in his career expressed admiration for Adolf Hitler and fascism. Morrissey said: “Someone made the point the other day about David Bowie’s famous ‘England would benefit from a fascist government’ comment… and his admiration for Hitler… and how Hitler was as stylish as Jagger… and how the UK needed a ‘complete right wing leader’. Could you imagine if I’d said THAT!
Morrissey said “Now, of course, I sat privately with David many times, and he wasn’t remotely fascist… although it has been said that he’d visited Hitler’s bunker. But, how many writers at The Guardian have David Bowie albums? All of them, probably! Hypocrisy?”

he has a very valid point about racist Bowie, let’s not forget Clapton.
I don't think Bowie actually held or regularly expressed those views, he made the comments in an interview which he later explained away as either being in character or heavily drug influenced or both.
I also completely reject the remark "Everyone ultimately prefers their own race" quoted in that article. It's simply not true.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't think Bowie actually held or regularly expressed those views, he made the comments in an interview which he later explained away as either being in character or heavily drug influenced or both.
I also completely reject the remark "Everyone ultimately prefers their own race" quoted in that article. It's simply not true.
Oh I don't know. Who WOULDN'T pick a night out with Baker Lite over one with Idris Elba?

:moo:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Good question Frutos, I’d never thought of it quite in this context.

Harty Junior knows who Peter Suttcliffe was, Bishop, Huntley, Whiting and Bellfield, but like me without google he didn’t have a clue who the Manchester Bomber was despite killing more people in total than the aforementioned list of murderers, and more recently.

Is this the media world we live in, they process/educate us into what they want us to take in?
I don't know who half those people are.

I don't know the name of the Manchester Arena bombing either, nor do I wish to.

As well as that I couldn't tell you who perpetrated the Dunblane shootings.

As Guinness Boy says, I couldn't name one of the many IRA bombers either.

In fact I could name more Smiths songs than I can mass murderers.

Why would we want to remember the names of murderers?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I agree with you on his race comment, utter tosh.
Bowie would of course defend or blame drugs or not himself, once his promoters and management pointed the error of speaking his mind, and it could affect his bank balance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, and also Ringleader of the Tormentors.

But in the last decade or so, he really has become an obnoxious ultra-Right-wing racist bore; a garrulous Gammon. The Oscar Wilde-style humour and bon mots of his early career - when interviews with him were both intelligent and often hilarious - have been replaced by bitterness and bile.

The tragic irony is that he used to be a voice for the discriminated against, the geeks and various minorities who didn't 'fit in' with mainstream society, yet now he associates with fascistic elements and other 'hard men' (his obsession with East End gangsters and boxers!) who would persecute and beat-up those who once looked up to Morrissey as a spokesman or role model.

He sickens me now, although I like his music up util the mid-2000s
This, 100%

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I agree with you on his race comment, utter tosh.
Bowie would of course defend or blame drugs or not himself, once his promoters and management pointed the error of speaking his mind, and it could affect his bank balance.
From what I understand (I'm not particularly into Bowie, or Morrissey for that matter) Bowie will have lost far more fans and money for his anti racist statements over the years, than he did for remarks made in a couple of interviews in the early 70s.

It doesn't matter anyway, whether some journalists who claim to not like Morrissey while liking [insert artist here] are hypocrites. It doesn't make any difference to how I or anybody else should view Morrissey or anything he says.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here