Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Morrisey at The Palladium

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Powerful stuff from Brendan O’Neill, but does Morrisey make a valid point?

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Thanks for posting, I was a Smiths / early Morrissey fan back in the day but he seemed to have gone wayward in recent years.

I don't disagree with what he says but making a song about it is something else and I'm not sure what to make of that right now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have no idea who the author is, but if he thinks there's a lack of 'rock and roll rebels' in music then he knows little about the subject. I could rattle off numerous boundry pushing, free-thinking and thought provoking artists at the drop of a hat, all who are far more interesting and 'rebelious' than Morrisey is these days...and probably ever was.

Pushing a trite agenda, as both Moz and the author are doing, by the very definiton, is not rebelion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What I will say though, is that he was on a flight I was on a short while ago..... he had a lovely Prada bag,

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Out of curiosity, do you think he makes a valid point?

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
Isn't the whole point that we can't instantly recall the Manchester bomber's or accomplice's name all about not giving them the notoriety that they craved?

No surprise that the right-wing Spectator magazine celebrates the views of a rich, white performer with right-wing political leanings, though. Almost as if clutching at the coat tails of a "pop star" gives the magazine currency and credibility by association. It reeks of neediness. As for Morrissey's view that Brexit is "magnificent", I haven't seen a shred of magnificence so far. Being rich and detatched enough from the daily reality of Brexit does not give somebody the right to proclaim magnificence from the safe distance of Los Angeles, Italy or Switzerland, where Morrissey keeps boltholes.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Isn't the whole point that we can't instantly recall the Manchester bomber's or accomplice's name all about not giving them the notoriety that they craved?

I tend to agree.

I don't think that the name of any mass murderers, irrespective of their background or motive, should live in our national consciousness.

Focus on the victims and their families, let the perpetrators rot in obscurity - it's the least they deserve.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
IMO the point is valid (we remember Hindley, we don't register modern day monsters), but the agenda is not.

The reality is that back in 1963 the Moors murder was the biggest news item for months and continued to be news-worthy for decades.
In 2017 the Manchester Arena bombing was one of 3 UK terrorist attacks within a year.

Our levels of interest, in the perpetrators of modern-day atrocities, is minimal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I tend to agree.

I don't think that the name of any mass murderers, irrespective of their background or motive, should live in our national consciousness.

Focus on the victims and their families, let the perpetrators rot in obscurity - it's the least they deserve.
It's not just about not knowing the murderers name though....there's a subtext at play here. Just like there is with the author of the Spectator article and also the OP.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well, he played that song in Brighton, to a backdrop of red lights, all I can say is that it was powerful and my young daughter thought so too, as did nearly every person in there.
Freedom of speech and all that, I don’t agree with a lot of what he says or thinks.
I actually don’t think he is a racist, he has championed various wonderful causes, he was revolutionary in bringing vegetarianism to the limelight. His songs about the countries and people he loves are open to interpretation, that’s what talented people do. He was lambasted for going on stage with a union jack at Madstock in about 93, he was bottled off stage by skinheads as he sung “National Front Disco” which is a song actually taking the piss out of NF skinheads.
The press focused on the song, not the content, and him waving the flag around.
fast forward too 96 and Brit Pop, everyone was waving the Union Jack or even wearing it.
The press love someone to hate, he’s an easy target, we all know people who voted for Brexit, have opinions we dont agree with, but that’s what makes us different and challenges our opinions and opens discussion.

Given his stance of meat eating, sexuality, the environment and the Royal family, I would have thought he would still be one of the most relevant musical artists still alive.

there I’ve said it I like him & his music.
possibly in my opinion one of the best lyricists of our time.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's not just about not knowing the murderers name though....there's a subtext at play here. Just like there is with the author of the Spectator article and also the OP.
Indeed.

You could make exactly the same point about the IRA Warrington bomb. I can tell you it killed Tim Parry but not the name of the bomber and that's the way it should be. There's a subtle difference between the cases though, isn't there?

The irony, of course, is that Mozza's "magnificent Brexit" has to all intents and purposes seen the end of power sharing in Northern Ireland and may yet lead to a restarting of The Troubles. That is actually moronic.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm sure this discussion has already happened but the point of those people singing "Don't Look Back in Anger" wasn't to minimise or forget the tragedy in any way shape or form. It was something to bring people together in mourning, to help an entire city work through grief.

And I think Morrisey knows that. Which just makes him a f***ing contrarian bellend.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Good question Frutos, I’d never thought of it quite in this context.

Harty Junior knows who Peter Suttcliffe was, Bishop, Huntley, Whiting and Bellfield, but like me without google he didn’t have a clue who the Manchester Bomber was despite killing more people in total than the aforementioned list of murderers, and more recently.

Is this the media world we live in, they process/educate us into what they want us to take in?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

I think there are far more interesting Rock and Roll rebels than Morrissey these days, I love the smiths, but he’s past it now, the tunes don’t stack up and he’s become an obsession for Right Wing grifters. It’s about him, not the message or the music, and that’s when I get bored of him. It also needs to emphasised that Brendan O’Neill is a thick idiot, who contributes nothing to society.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good question Frutos, I’d never thought of it quite in this context.

Harty Junior knows who Peter Suttcliffe was, Bishop, Huntley, Whiting and Bellfield, but like me without google he didn’t have a clue who the Manchester Bomber was despite killing more people in total than the aforementioned list of murderers, and more recently.

Is this the media world we live in, they process/educate us into what they want us to take in?
But those are all people who were subject to long running police investigations, person hunts and long trials. They were repeatedly in the news.

Manchester was a single, one off event, over in seconds in which the perpetrator died. It's good that his name died with him. He got neither his virgins in paradise nor the notoriety that might inspire others.

Why has Morrisey not written about 9/11? Higher death toll surely? Except that the people who ran that operation were known, hunted down and killed.

How many IRA bombers can you name without googling?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here