Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Morrisey at The Palladium

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh I don't know. Who WOULDN'T pick a night out with Baker Lite over one with Idris Elba?

:moo:
Last I heard, Baker Lite was touring around Yorkshire in a caravan....Idris was DJing in Ibiza. Decisions decisions

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree with you on his race comment, utter tosh.
Bowie would of course defend or blame drugs or not himself, once his promoters and management pointed the error of speaking his mind, and it could affect his bank balance.
He did blame the Hitler salute from the back of a Merc on the bugle. There but for the grace of god :lolol:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He did blame the Hitler salute from the back of a Merc on the bugle. There but for the grace of god :lolol:
Reminds me of philip anemelso excuse after shouting white power during a gig.

he claimed he had been drinking white wine back stage, and simply was drunk and meant white wine….

knowing him, and having meet him loads of times, I can tell you….

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Reminds me of philip anemelso excuse after shouting white power during a gig.

he claimed he had been drinking white wine back stage, and simply was drunk and meant white wine….

knowing him, and having meet him loads of times, I can tell you….
ive never seen him drink white wine, back stage, on his tour bus or at his house.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I loathe Morrissey - always have done - just loathe him a bit more now. The Spectator is a spineless, semiliterate piece of toilet paper for thick right wing upper class twits, a Sun for Rees Moggs and Softy Walters. I met former editor Matthew d'Ancona once around the time of the collapse of capitalism (aka 'the credit crunch') and he dared ('commissioned')me to write an article for them. So I did. They didn't have the guts to print it :)

Varndean VI Form College

Jul 29, 2011
Hove

Powerful stuff from Brendan O’Neill, but does Morrisey make a valid point?

Varndean VI Form College

Jul 29, 2011
Hove

Powerful stuff from Brendan O’Neill, but does Morrisey make a valid point?
Saw him play Ally Pally a few years ago which was great in quite a few ways (eg 2 pint glasses) and icon visuals. However, left the gig disillusioned after observing a fight seemingly being carried out on racial grounds. A few too many union jacks being waved in the crowd didn’t auger well. Very sad when someone with so much talent and influence turns out to be a racist prick.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Hate Morrisey, just detest him, his music and his views. Always thought he was a vain, narcissistic prick. Now turns out he's a vain narcissistic racist prick.

I want to university in the north of England in tbe late 80's and there was a group of students that worshipped morrrisey and the ground he walked on. They were just the worst people. Self obsessed, over grown teenagers. Shallow, lacking in self awareness and convinced that they 'felt' things in a way that nobody had ever 'felt' things and that only Morrisey could speak for them. Because he was so deep.

They also had stupid hair.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I attended an incident at his gig in Brighton recently.
He has some very young, very strange fans. I think his stance on animal rights and veganism attracts an element.
Either way, he still seems relevant to a young audience.
I saw him live about 4 years ago. He was somewhere between a cartoon and an old Irish priest.

I thought it was all very dull.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Interesting.

The musician recently faced condemnation after wearing a badge featuring the logo of far-right anti-Islam political party For Britain during a recent TV appearance on Fallon.

The performance led to posters for his new album ‘California Son’ to be removed at Merseyrail stations and for his music to be banned from the worlds oldest record shop amid other criticism.
Asked by Rayner why he has not sued The Guardian, who were among the titles to publish critical articles about him in the aftermath, Morrissey said: “As a so-called entertainer, I have no human rights… apparently… because you put yourself ‘out there’. If I were a postman I would have won a Harassment Case against The Guardian and been awarded 10 million pounds in damages by now.”

Later, he added: “The Guardian have pestered and relentlessly harassed musicians in my life urging them not to work with me again. In these days of casual knife crime and hurling of acid, you’d expect The Guardian to maintain a certain careful morality. But no. If I suffered physical harm as a direct result of the Guardian’s tyranny, you can imagine cheers and champagne exploding through their offices… it chills the blood. The Guardian fully believes it is a political party.”
Rayner asked Morrissey to clarify his political position. The musician says he has “never” been a supporter of UKIP or of Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage, but says that “it’s obvious that [Farage] would make a good Prime Minister.”

He also maintained that he “absolutely” supports For Britain, saying: “The UK is a dangerously hateful place now, and I think we need someone to put a stop to the lunacy and to speak for everyone. I see [For Britain leader] Anne Marie Waters as this person. She is extremely intelligent, ferociously dedicated to this country, she is very engaging, and also very funny at times.”
When asked about being called a racist, Morrissey said: “If you call someone racist in modern Britain you are telling them that you have run out of words. You are shutting the debate down and running off. The word is meaningless now. Everyone ultimately prefers their own race … does this make everyone racist?”
He later referenced David Bowie, who at one point in his career expressed admiration for Adolf Hitler and fascism. Morrissey said: “Someone made the point the other day about David Bowie’s famous ‘England would benefit from a fascist government’ comment… and his admiration for Hitler… and how Hitler was as stylish as Jagger… and how the UK needed a ‘complete right wing leader’. Could you imagine if I’d said THAT!
Morrissey said “Now, of course, I sat privately with David many times, and he wasn’t remotely fascist… although it has been said that he’d visited Hitler’s bunker. But, how many writers at The Guardian have David Bowie albums? All of them, probably! Hypocrisy?”

he has a very valid point about Bowie, let’s not forget Claptons racist outburst live on stage about immigration.
What I'm getting from all that is that Mozza is a bit of a prick.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, I think it was Viva Hate. I stand to be corrected though
It was all a long time ago now, though. Bros have come and gone. Madonna. Jeremy Paxman. Friday Night Dinner.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
when he was asked his thoughts about animal cruelty and live dog/cat farms in preparation for food, he replied that any people that do that are clearly a sub-species. Now I would imagine many many many people would agree with that in context.

as for his promotion of Britain First, I will have to read up on that, and if indeed he did then obviously that is something of dubious and narrow minded, seeing as he is from an immigrant family and championed Mexican social issues in America when he lived there, and is idolised by millions of Mexican Americans.

he is indeed contrary, I think it makes him interesting though.
Contrarians are interesting. Peter Hitchens. Former communist, now aggressive right wing iconoclast. Nicholas van Hoogstraten. José Mourinho.

None of them appear to be very nice, though.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Any article by Brendan O'Neill is likely to be tiresome
Yes, he was the dullard who tried to drag The Pogues into a culture war over the edited version of Fairy tale. They had no truck with it, referring to O'Neill's fellow sad old Tory pretending to be relevant, Laurence Fox as a 'herenvolk shite'.

He's a poisonous golf club bar stirrer with nothing of interest to say to anybody who isn't terrified of all change. In other words, he writes for The Spectator.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here