[News] Morgan Stanley begins move away from London

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Good riddance I say.

I don't mind helping them pack.

Do brexiters like anything? So much hate... Why don't u all just find an island together, make far age ur leader and stop all foreigners and businesses. Talk about going backwards... Evolution my arse

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Look at all the lefties shitting themselves over job losses. British tradesman have had to put up with this shite for the last ten or more years only to be told its healthy competition. Karma is a bitch lol.

Presumably British tradesman have also benefitted in other ways from the lower prices we've all enjoyed thanks to healthy competition?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Moving jobs not necessarily the people who do those jobs.

"So we've moved your role to Frankfurt. You can either move or you can quit. What's that? What sort of relocation package are we offering? I'll say it again: you can move or you can quit."

Surely it will also be very difficult to move now that free movement is pulled.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Whenever the issue of bankers' bonuses came up, Boris was the first to say the govt couldn't intervene due to how important it was that London remained a financial hub. I could never see why that this "hub" was so important and frankly, thought that if they wanted to they could bugger off to Frankfurt/Dublin/wherever.

It looks as if now, I'm going to find out whether this "hub" is indeed important to us; and Boris is going to rue the day he sided with Farage in his xenophobic rhetoric.

Everyone's a winner.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
many bank operations are already outside the EU. they offshore to Bangalore and Manila for labour intensive jobs while keeping the systems in the UK accessd remotely. so the mostlikely thing to move to Frankfurt, Dublin, Paris, or elsewhere in EU will be some servers. if they need to have an office for "passporting" services, they'll operate a brass plate address with a few company HQ positions nominally based there, while maintaining actual analysts to executive in London. companies already do this where local legislation requires a local presense to operate, so there's little reason this will change for the finance sector now.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We make most of our money from the square mile and when it is empty life will not be good for the country
We are still paying the price from there last **** up, its just a bunch of ego maniacs gambling millions of pounds each day hoping they pick the right way more than they pick the wrong way.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Strange question. Self-evident surely. When the cost of living is lower, we all save money.

Ignore Justice, she's a curtain twitching LOON.

Report just out shows that London contributes 30% of all the tax raised in the UK. This won't be the case of course if the finance sector relocates some of its operations to Frankfurt, Paris, Dublin (and possibly Edinburgh if they join the EU).

Dec 29, 2011
Ignore Justice, she's a curtain twitching LOON.

Report just out shows that London contributes 30% of all the tax raised in the UK. This won't be the case of course if the finance sector relocates some of its operations to Frankfurt, Paris, Dublin (and possibly Edinburgh if they join the EU).

The report counted headquarters of companies, so all supermarkets HQed in London count as London GDP

Dec 29, 2011
I work in Pharma and my site is at risk of moving into the EU and shutting up shop here, 800 jobs. There are two other sites just as big also in the same boat.

Not only are there more clients in the EU, there are more skilled workers. Can't believe people thought this wouldn't happen.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Not only are there more clients in the EU, there are more skilled workers. Can't believe people thought this wouldn't happen.

We could have stayed in the EU where there is no unemployment!!

Current unemployment rate is some of the EU county's:-

Spain = £23%
Italy = £12%
France = 11%
EU average = £9.6%

UK is about 5% - We will be OK out of the EU. But there will be a lot of bumps along the way (I am not trivializing if anyone loses their job).

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Spain = £23%
Italy = £12%
France = 11%
EU average = £9.6%

UK is about 5% - We will be OK out of the EU. But there will be a lot of bumps along the way (I am not trivializing if anyone loses their job).

So despite those wicked Europeans we still had only 5% unemployed. Strikes me when all is said and done, we were doing rather well IN Europe.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Spain = £23%
Italy = £12%
France = 11%
EU average = £9.6%

We won't get much lower than 5% IN or OUT. Back the argument of Brexit, risk versus reward I'm afraid

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
My business - construction related - suffering a massive downturn already. Unlikely we will survive it. A hundred or so jobs gone. Many of whom voted for Brexit and are going to be outraged.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports