Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] More than 40,000 have crossed the channel this year.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Serco are desperate for accommodation. They are also desperate for asylum seekers to fill said accommodation. Perhaps to justify the whopping contract awarded despite the many failures of Serco
Never mind, just keep hiking taxes cos this has to be paid for by somebody.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Your talking rubbish , what manufacturing went to the far east that had anything to do with what i mentioned , because as far as i`m aware they never built a Leander class frigate for us , or a type 21 ,22 ,or 23 , so do you know something i don`t about this ? .
Mechanical engineering is outdated, with electronics coming to the fore. Japan was way ahead of us in electronics.
The last Leander was built in 73, nearly 50 years ago. Competition was designed to keep costs down, so the government awarded contracts to cheaper competitors.
For example, the new blue passports. The British firm’s quote was too high, so they’re made in Poland and France.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Mechanical engineering is outdated, with electronics coming to the fore. Japan was way ahead of us in electronics.
The last Leander was built in 73, nearly 50 years ago. Competition was designed to keep costs down, so the government awarded contracts to cheaper competitors.
For example, the new blue passports. The British firm’s quote was too high, so they’re made in Poland and France.
Wrong again , my point was that before we joined the EU we built 26 Leander class frigates , the reason why it was nearly 50 years ago is probably because that is when we joined the EU funnily enough in 73 ( coincidence ? i`ll leave that to you ) , after we joined we built 8 type 21 frigates to replace them , take a guess why only 8 . . As for the electronics your Wrong again , the electronics were tendered to and built by several British companies including BAE , QinetiQ part of a British consortium including Babcock International and Elbit Systems UK .

For future reference we deliver systems to Japan , which is part of why we have (since Brexit ) made the biggest Trade Deal with Japan in our history , but don`t let your lack of knowledge or your prejudices get in the way of the facts .

Have a look at youtube , Britain nukes USA twice , British designed aircraft , British designed electronics , a long time ago but relevant , but we still make some of the best electronics in the world , but thanks to the EU no longer the aircraft .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Wrong again , my point was that before we joined the EU we built 26 Leander class frigates , the reason why it was nearly 50 years ago is probably because that is when we joined the EU funnily enough in 73 ( coincidence ? i`ll leave that to you ) , after we joined we built 8 type 21 frigates to replace them , take a guess why only 8 . . As for the electronics your Wrong again , the electronics were tendered to and built by several British companies including BAE , QinetiQ part of a British consortium including Babcock International and Elbit Systems UK .

For future reference we deliver systems to Japan , which is part of why we have (since Brexit ) made the biggest Trade Deal with Japan in our history , but don`t let your lack of knowledge or your prejudices get in the way of the facts .

Have a look at youtube , Britain nukes USA twice , British designed aircraft , British designed electronics , a long time ago but relevant , but we still make some of the best electronics in the world , but thanks to the EU no longer the aircraft .
The collapse of the European ship building industry had nothing to do with EU.

Sweden didn't join the EU until 1995, but that didn't stop our shipbuilding industry (which in 1973 had the second highest output in the world, only behind Japan) from collapsing in the same decade.

The reason is the 1973-1974 oil crisis. Globally, building orders for new ships decreased by about 80%, from 73 million tons to 14 million tons. The shipyards, which had been expanding heavily pretty much based on speculation and hopes that demand would keep increasing, went bankrupt one by one (and those who didnt still had to scale down production) - in Sweden, in England, in Germany, in the Netherlands and so forth. It happened both in EU nations and non-EU nations.

Japan also struggled, but didn't pay their workers as much and did not have the same safety regulations etc. meaning that in this crisis, they were the go-to alternative for the few ones who still wanted to order new ships. Europe was left with nothing, and when the industry finally recovered some ten years later, a lot of knowledge and infrastructure was gone and Europe had started to move from industrial societies to service societies and it was just way too unprofitable and difficult to even try to catch up with Asian shipyards.

I'm absolutely no fan of EU and think the organisation causes a lot more issues than it solves, but to blame EU for the global shipyard crisis in the 70s and 80s... not much pointing in that direction.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Correlation doesnt prove causality

My lack of knowledge on this subject means I cannot decide whether it is a coincidence. Can you point me in the direction of the evidence that has persuaded you that the EU is responsible for the UK no longer manufacturing aircraft, cars and boats?

Edit: a bit of googling found these

I haven't read these carefully but the only mention of anything EU is that they offered subsidies to try and keep the industry going.

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I think the 40,000 plus one should receive automatic right to stay, or at the very least a certificate

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Apart from Badfish’s excellent post, successive governments reduced defence spending so there wasn’t the finance to build ships and aircraft. That’s why we nearly lost the Falkland Islands.
When someone tells me to look on YouTube for research and evidence, I know they are up the wrong creek without a paddle.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sorry mate but your narrative is simply wrong.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Hopefully, posting new, interesting and factual bits of information will start a new trend on this marvelous thread 👍

Good to see increased cooperation but I doubt it will.make much differnce.
Presumably more additional cost to the taxpayer, as well as the Rwanda scheme which we wouldn't have had to pay had we remained in the EU?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I voted for Brexit because I lived in the USA. I saw how unwieldy multiple states can be in terms of making decisions. Accountability is passed around like pass the parcel.

When an entity becomes that large, there is little thought for local society. There is a great deal of finger pointing.

Regulation becomes very difficult, and extraordinarily costly, because it’s hard to enforce in a consistent manner.

If we don’t perform as a country, government, local government, council, who do blame as part of Europe? It removes accountability.

I think this government is pretty shit but they are absolutely 100% accountable.

So you can accuse every Brexit voter of being an imbecile but I stand by my vote.

Don’t assume we’re all morons. I, for one, read many books about this and am pretty angry about your trite comments.

If you couldn’t see that Brexit would be a f***ing disaster you’re not as smart as you think you are sunshine

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Perhaps it`s you who should read a few books , and read about how before joining the EU we had shipyards all round the British isles building some of the biggest and best ships both Merchant and Royal Navy . You can also read about how many aircraft companies we had building al types of planes including some of the worlds best fighter planes , also how many car manufacturers we had , that we now don`t .

Due to the EU agreement we were hamstrung right up until Brexit , the current Government has made a giant balls of things yes , but can you see any better from anywhere else ? . It will take time , but we will grow our economy for the benefit of us not for Brussels . We were the go to country for funds for all those that weren`t pulling their weight , continually being told by Eurocrats what we can and cant do .

Ask yourself this , if we weren`t so important to them , why did they make it so bloody hard for us to leave ? .
Maybe those that sold it did so without plan, every Brexiteer had a different idea of what Brexit was.

Also they all chose to pretend they didn't understand the UK shared a LAND border with the EU, ie a UK and Ireland free travel area

Hence, the shitshow that is still ongoing now. Now the invoice to pay, over to you Jeremy. How do you want off us?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Having taken back " control of our borders " we have today, signed a deal, that pays France to do that for us.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Having taken back " control of our borders " we have today, signed a deal, that pays France to do that for us.
channel crossing numbers.jpg

So having managed to exponentially grow the people trafficking business across the English channel over the last 4 years, we are now going to pay the French to try and reduce it slightly.

Pure F***ing Genius :facepalm:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
Presumably more additional cost to the taxpayer, as well as the Rwanda scheme which we wouldn't have had to pay had we remained in the EU?
When we were in the EU we belonged to a scheme where we returned a very small number of migrants while getting a greater number sent here from other EU countries. The chances someone who had travelled across numerous EU safe countries to get here would be deterred from jumping in a boat by a very small chance of being sent back seems very unlikely to me. There are still safe routes open for some refugees to get here despite repeated claims we shut them all. This suggests the reasons behind the recent big increases in crossings are not as simplistic as saying Brexit..brexit..brexit.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
View attachment 153682
So having managed to exponentially grow the people trafficking business across the English channel over the last 4 years, we are now going to pay the French to try and reduce it slightly.

Pure F***ing Genius :facepalm:
At least the tone is a bit more constructive now with the French. I've been saying on here for a while, if you really piss them off they will have the last laugh.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
The most interesting point about the below tweet is that Braverman is fluent in French due to attending Sorbonne in France as part of the EU erasmus scheme

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here