Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] More than 40,000 have crossed the channel this year.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
According to the BBC today. One hundred more today.

I am talking *migrants, not sponsored swimmers, greased and nourished, here.

What an absolute shambles, and what an indictment of a series of clueless, venal, and fundamentally useless, lying, conservative governments.

Making immigration an issue. Then, the Brexit bonus. Taking control. Feel that control. In charge at last! Free of immigrants. And, exhale.

Get in the f***ing sea.

And those of you who voted for it you get in the f***ing sea too.

There. I said it.

Now I'm off to watch match of the day.

*I have deleted the word 'illegal' after @thunderbolt pointed out that it is not illegal to seek asylum. If it were those arriving would all go straight to court and then to jail.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Whatever it is I’m against it.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London

I am talking illegal migrants, not sponsored swimmers, greased and nourished, here.

What an absolute shambles, and what an indictment of a series of clueless, venal, and fundamentally useless, lying, conservative governments.

Making immigration an issue. Then, the Brexit bonus. Taking control. Feel that control. In charge at last! Free of immigrants. And, exhale.

Get in the f***ing sea.

There. I said it.

I voted for Brexit because I lived in the USA. I saw how unwieldy multiple states can be in terms of making decisions. Accountability is passed around like pass the parcel.

When an entity becomes that large, there is little thought for local society. There is a great deal of finger pointing.

Regulation becomes very difficult, and extraordinarily costly, because it’s hard to enforce in a consistent manner.

If we don’t perform as a country, government, local government, council, who do blame as part of Europe? It removes accountability.

I think this government is pretty shit but they are absolutely 100% accountable.

So you can accuse every Brexit voter of being an imbecile but I stand by my vote.

Don’t assume we’re all morons. I, for one, read many books about this and am pretty angry about your trite comments.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's too many. Too many at a time, and uncontrolled. It's a cause for concern. Immigration is fine - people coming here to work and add to our economy, to join our community. Probably for all nations immigration is a bonus -maybe even in some cases a necessity.

But immigration unfiltered and controlled by foreign criminal gangs? No - that's something else, and a legitimate concern. What we do about it, whilst still remaining a liberal, open society welcoming genuine refugees, I don't know. It's one hell of a question.

What I do feel sure about is, we're not getting the answer right at the moment.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I voted for Brexit because I lived in the USA. I saw how unwieldy multiple states can be in terms of making decisions. Accountability is passed around like pass the parcel.

When an entity becomes that large, there is little thought for local society. There is a great deal of finger pointing.

Regulation becomes very difficult, and extraordinarily costly, because it’s hard to enforce in a consistent manner.

If we don’t perform as a country, government, local government, council, who do blame as part of Europe? It removes accountability.

I think this government is pretty shit but they are absolutely 100% accountable.

So you can accuse every Brexit voter of being an imbecile but I stand by my vote.

Don’t assume we’re all morons. I, for one, read many books about this and am pretty angry about your trite comments.
This makes me think you were not paying close enough attention to those books!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's too many. Too many at a time, and uncontrolled. It's a cause for concern. Immigration is fine - people coming here to work and add to our economy, to join our community. Probably for all nations immigration is a bonus -maybe even in some cases a necessity.

But immigration unfiltered and controlled by foreign criminal gangs? No - that's something else, and a legitimate concern. What we do about it, whilst still remaining a liberal, open society welcoming genuine refugees, I don't know. It's one hell of a question.

What I do feel sure about is, we're not getting the answer right at the moment.
Ultimately, the answer to the problem is to make people's homes safe to live in so they don't need to leave and find somewhere else.

If we look at foreign policy so we see decisions made to increase stability in the areas that people are leaving. Or are our governments' interventions motivated by something else?

As you say what we have been doing is not working so perhaps it is time to vote for something else.

Dec 29, 2011
I can't imagine how dire my life must be to leave Brighton and have to go and seek opportunities in Middlesbrough.

And now imagine how bad your life must be to leave your family, friends, travel across two continents, get on a tiny boat which has a good chance of sinking, go for weeks without food and risk the dangers of being attacked/robbed just to make it to Middlesborough. It must be rough where people are escaping, and I can't help but feel a large part of that is caused by hundreds of years of western foreign policy.

We're reaping what we've sown, and we're trying to keep the riches we've gained from generations of exploitation to ourselves. It's unbecoming of the 'great' nation that many of us wish to be perceived as. There is no simple answer but knee jerk xenophobia is definitely not the solution.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I am talking illegal migrants, not sponsored swimmers, greased and nourished, here.

Get in the f***ing sea.

There. I said it.

This government closed down all the safe routes to claim asylum, and also,turned down, President Macron’s offer of a processing centre in France (Theresa May). It suits them to have an ‘enemy’ to distract voters from all the corruption and daylight robbery going on in Westminster.
Please do not copy the propaganda from the BBC website calling them illegal, because it isn’t illegal to seek asylum, and over 80% of claims, are successful after appeal.
Even Ukrainians cannot apply on line now.
As for overcrowding, 200,000 have died from covid alone, and are still dying, and Britain is desperate for workers. Brexit was never going to,stop immigrants when the Dublin Agreement was cancelled and we couldn’t send them back to France.
If anything, this government is wooing India for migrants.
AD200E10-104F-4709-8555-4CD0C77786E9.jpeg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ultimately, the answer to the problem is to make people's homes safe to live in so they don't need to leave and find somewhere else.

If we look at foreign policy so we see decisions made to increase stability in the areas that people are leaving. Or are our governments' interventions motivated by something else?

As you say what we have been doing is not working so perhaps it is time to vote for something else.
Well yes, if we could make life safe, democratic and happy everywhere, that woud be fantastic. but.....

........we can't. So, foregn policy becomes irrelevant and powerless. OK, your move! (incidentally, there isn't one out there that we can vote for either).

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Well yes, if we could make life safe, democratic and happy everywhere, that woud be fantastic. but.....

........we can't. So, foregn policy becomes irrelevant and powerless. OK, your move! (incidentally, there isn't one out there that we can vote for either).
I agree there isn't one we can vote for but perhaps at this stage the least worst is the best we can hope for.

I disagree that foreign policy doesn't make any difference. I think that it is the foreign policies of some countries that has made the situation worse.

It all looks fairly hopeless at the moment because we have accepted it as the norm. Maybe though with small changes things can change over time. From little things big things grow and all that.

If there is a will then governments can be persuaded to make changes. They will do anything if it means getting voted in.

Voters just need to push this stuff up their priorities list.

To be fair though your argument that this is all unrealistic and pie in the sky is sadly spot on. Never the less it is the most logical answer.

Edit: just to point out, there was a scruffy bloke to vote for a little while ago with some different foreign policy. But like you say it was never going to happen.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This government closed down all the safe routes to claim asylum, and also,turned down, President Macron’s offer of a processing centre in France (Theresa May). It suits them to have an ‘enemy’ to distract voters from all the corruption and daylight robbery going on in Westminster.
Please do not copy the propaganda from the BBC website calling them illegal, because it isn’t illegal to seek asylum, and over 80% of claims, are successful after appeal.
Even Ukrainians cannot apply on line now.
As for overcrowding, 200,000 have died from covid alone, and are still dying, and Britain is desperate for workers. Brexit was never going to,stop immigrants when the Dublin Agreement was cancelled and we couldn’t send them back to France.
If anything, this government is wooing India for migrants. View attachment 153635
At least we can talk to Europol and access the Schengen database to get the low down on any potential criminals coming across …

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here