Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Money saving tips - Good offers - General thread

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Happy to be shouted at that this is not needed but with all the cost of living ("COL) issues going on at the moment, I was wondering if it was worth having a single port of call, a NSC MoneySavingExpert if you will, where we can post things we are doing to help cut costs, maybe tactics we use to budget, cheap bulk meals we've stumbled upon, good financial deals out there?

This week I have been mostly:
-Making a massive Frittata earlier in the week which covered me for lunches and removed the temptation to pop to the shop.
-Called o2 to settle my phone balance. This then allowed me to move from the default £24 tariff I HAD to take with the phone and instead move onto their £10 a month sim only deal. Whilst on the phone I looked at USwitch and found o2 are doing a £5 a month sim for 10GB, fixed for 12 months. Done that. £19 saved pm (£228 per year) and freed myself up from the monthly cost of the phone device repayment.
-Switched tactics on weekly spending money and now withdraw it in cash. We try and use cash as much as possible. Any excess left is put aside to not be touched until month end when I pay it back in. Feels like free money as we'd budgeted for it to be spent.

Any ideas welcome.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have Scottish Power use their area monopoly force you to sign into a sky-high 18 month fix rate.
Then claim £1,600 back from them once the term is over.

Bit niche I know, but it's worked for me!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Are those O2 offers open to existing customers? Been looking to switch to giffgaff to save myself a tenner a month but would stay with O2 otherwise.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are those O2 offers open to existing customers? Been looking to switch to giffgaff to save myself a tenner a month but would stay with O2 otherwise.
Gifgaff would be one of my 'brand loyalty' providers, solely because it's easy.
I can't think how long Ive been with them - perhaps even 10 years.

I have a £150 Motorola phone, which must be about 3 years old now, and £10 a month to Giffgaff.

I'm genuinely amazed by how much some people have to spend on the latest phones/contracts.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
My O2 bill is £42 per month. One contract 5 phones, 4 of these have 100Gb of data a month, the other one has 20Gb of data. If you have kids with phones moving everything to one SIM only contract can add additional savings.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've been getting 90% of my fruit and veg on Too Good To Go this year, which means I spend 3 or 4 euro a week for two people. Topped up with a few quid on pasta, beans, rice etc it means my food bill is a pittance. The added benefit is the fun surprise when you open your bag as you never know what you're going to get.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cube bikes currently offering 15% off 2023 models on-line, just saved me £200

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You're kind of on O2 if you go with Giff Gaff as they piggy back on O2.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's a bit of a first world cost but to save money when I've been out of work I've used a dishwasher tablet every other wash and everything still comes out clean yet you half your spend on dishwasher tablets.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
"I've just spent over a grand on a bike" :laugh:
"Hi. Martin Lewis here with this week's best offers to help you out in a cost of living crisis.

Ferrari have 20% off all supercars when you buy 2 or more from their 2023 range. "

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"I've just spent over a grand on a bike" :laugh:
Don't be shy

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I subscribe to the MSE weekly email(Martin Lewis effectively). Arrives every Tuesday evening with all the up to date offers on cheap SIMS, switching bank accounts etc. I’ve used it several times

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Get your meter readings in now before the price cap change. It's the optimum time. My DD has dropped by £90

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Petrol at the big Tesco near Gatwick Airport seems to be at least 10p a litre under the market rate

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"Hi. Martin Lewis here with this week's best offers to help you out in a cost of living crisis.

Ferrari have 20% off all supercars when you buy 2 or more from their 2023 range. "
Hi, Bitch Hut here.

Tui are offering a free rubber ring if you buy a two week all-inclusive trip to the Seychelles. I've now got a rubber ring I don't need so I'm going to sell it for £3 on Facebook Marketplace like the shrewdy I am.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here