Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Why does it serve the player? If he wanted to leave, signing a new contract only makes that more unlikely wouldn't it? I agree it serves the club to protect their asset, but mad decision for him if he is still thinking of moving in the summer.

Perhaps with a bit of soul searching, looking at what happens to some players who move to earlier to a big team, conversations with team mates and reassurances from the club about their plans, he's made a decision it is well worth staying.
He gets more money (eg quadrupling his wages) in the short-term and (if it is the case that there is no release clause in the contract) potentially still gets a big summer move if the right club and offer comes in?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Not sure if this has been mentioned already but Naylor's latest Athletic article says there is no release clause.

Screenshot_2023-03-06-14-18-25-133_com.theathletic.jpg

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Just read on the Albion site an article with him saying how happy he is here, happy with new contract and the team are aiming for Champions League! Is this the new “kissing the badge” and he’ll be off before you know it?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I imagine he’ll go to Liverpool or Man Utd. He’s massively improve either team.
With Moises under contract, the question becomes, what amount of money makes it the right deal for the club to sell him?

That rules out Liverpool. Man U maybe.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He gets more money (eg quadrupling his wages) in the short-term and (if it is the case that there is no release clause in the contract) potentially still gets a big summer move if the right club and offer comes in?
I was always baffled Bissouma never signed a better deal, especially as a relative Amex newbie when our wages were very low. But a fine balance I guess, don’t sign a deal and you’re worth £30M with 12 months left. With 4-5 years you’re potentially £80M+ I guess.

Caicedo was already £70M+ with a long deal so less impact

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Why does it serve the player? If he wanted to leave, signing a new contract only makes that more unlikely wouldn't it? I agree it serves the club to protect their asset, but mad decision for him if he is still thinking of moving in the summer.

Perhaps with a bit of soul searching, looking at what happens to some players who move to earlier to a big team, conversations with team mates and reassurances from the club about their plans, he's made a decision it is well worth staying.

I understand that it must seem mad, because potentially he's tying himself to the club. But the Albion have stated they won't stand in a players way, and have used this tactic with other players like Ben White, who they were then able to sell for a big fee.

If the club came to an agreement to sell him in the summer, it does benefit Caicedo because he earns more money in the immediate future in terms of wages etc, and then earns more money from the transfer fee because they club can demand a higher fee.

My heart would love to think its a bit of soul searching as you say. But my head says this a tactic the club have used before to the benefit of everyone but the buying club.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
32 games (since his first start, against Arsenal last spring) into the Caicedo era and since then the club is averaging 1.71875 points per game which would mean 65 points over a season. Would have meant 6th place most seasons.
Obviously many less games but I wonder what our point % is when the four M'igos have all started together.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was always baffled Bissouma never signed a better deal, especially as a relative Amex newbie when our wages were very low. But a fine balance I guess, don’t sign a deal and you’re worth £30M with 12 months left. With 4-5 years you’re potentially £80M+ I guess.

Caicedo was already £70M+ with a long deal so less impact
He cleverly planning his dream move to Spuds.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Could another factor in him signing the new contract be that he got a chunky signing fee that helps secure his future and is seen as a face saving win for the (scummy)agents?

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I can't help but think the club have changed their ideals since RDZ turned up, you got David Weir saying he wants us to be a destination club Paul Barber taking the piss out of Chelsea telling them they will never get our manager and little signs like Caicedo getting a new contract with no doubt a new pay rise. New contract for Mac new etc.I think there is surprise in how good we actually are. I guess the summer transfer window will tell all.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I was talking to my co-worker about why Caicedo would sign such a long contract which seemingly gives the club all the power for the next several years in terms of deciding when and who to sell to.

My co-worker is from Gambia and he was very confident that it's purely because the money on offer is too big for Caicedo to say no to. His argument centred on the fact that when you're from a poor/third world country being offered 70k a week is so much more than they could ever have envisioned that they can't/don't think of how much more they could earn a couple of years down the line. He said that when you're from a poor country you have not just all your family(close and extended) to look after but often a village/town to help. He pointed to Mane and what he's done in Senegal - building schools/hospitals etc.

He then said that Europeans/westerners/developed nations don't have those considerations, or at least nowhere near on the same scale, so are able to think of x years down the line and plan out their careers more fully.

I have no idea if any of that did play a part in Caicedo's signing of the new contract, I'm just happy he did and hope we get several more years out of him before the inevitable.

My co-worker is also a big Liverpool fan and would LOVE to sign Caicedo. He thinks they'll spend big in the summer and is dreaming of Bellingham and Caicedo...

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I was talking to my co-worker about why Caicedo would sign such a long contract which seemingly gives the club all the power for the next several years in terms of deciding when and who to sell to.

My co-worker is from Gambia and he was very confident that it's purely because the money on offer is too big for Caicedo to say no to. His argument centred on the fact that when you're from a poor/third world country being offered 70k a week is so much more than they could ever have envisioned that they can't/don't think of how much more they could earn a couple of years down the line. He said that when you're from a poor country you have not just all your family(close and extended) to look after but often a village/town to help. He pointed to Mane and what he's done in Senegal - building schools/hospitals etc.

He then said that Europeans/westerners/developed nations don't have those considerations, or at least nowhere near on the same scale, so are able to think of x years down the line and plan out their careers more fully.

I have no idea if any of that did play a part in Caicedo's signing of the new contract, I'm just happy he did and hope we get several more years out of him before the inevitable.

My co-worker is also a big Liverpool fan and would LOVE to sign Caicedo. He thinks they'll spend big in the summer and is dreaming of Bellingham and Caicedo...
Well that’s over £200m right there - no chance they’ll get both. Mad thinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here