Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I just presumed in this modern day that there would be a clause in a players contract that if an EPL table topping team came in for a player, they would have to offer a minimum to buy said player. Yes there would be a sum that Tony had in mind but maybe that sum, say £80 million, was in the contract. Thus stopping a player asking to leave and going on strike for a move so that said EPL table topping club could then buy him for £27 million.
Plenty of people on here to tell you that you're wrong, what I would say is that the inflation of player prices in recent years would suggest that a ridiculous price two years ago would be a bargain now, so it is not sensible to put release clauses in contracts. For instance £50m was a ridiculous price for a BHA player two years ago whilst £80m is realistic today. Who knows what will happen in 2 more years?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Thinking about this, it only increases the chances of him going this summer.

We've seen cases where players aren't going anywhere with two years left on the contract because players and clubs know that with only one year left, you often get half the price (which means the buying club will spend some extra on wages). Arguably, this way the club lost out on maybe a total of £50m or £60m for Bissouma and Trossard. I don't think the club wants that repeated. If there was no new deal in place it is possible he would have stayed around for another year to move cheaply in the summer of 2024.

Now I think a sale in the summer becomes even more likely because with a contract until 2027 or 2028, it really puts the club in a fantastic spot when it comes to negotiations. There's no f***ing around with running down contracts and stuff - Tony can ask for pretty much whatever he wants. Normally this means a good chance the player stays for some time. With Caicedo, I think it means that some club will actually pay the obscene money needed to get him - he is that good.
I think you're right, it serves player, club and agent well if we're in a position to demand a lot of money in the summer.
The interest in him isn't going to disappear, so if the club said 'we'll let you go in the summer, let's try and get the best price going". It does make a lot of sense that a new contract would help do that.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Indeed.

The Albion are all about control, and having a player with a release clause means that control is taken away.

I must admit, I'm struggling to understand quite why Caicedo would sign another deal right now, as it weakens his hand for getting his move. He may still get his move as and when he wants it, of course, but he's ceded more power/control to the Albion and he certainly didn't like that just over a month ago.
Must be £1m extra in salary if he goes in July- won't make much difference re selling or not as already on a longish contract. Rewards and motivates him without changing opportunities for him. Makes perfect sense I'd say.

The one that really shocked me was mac allister. The timing particularly given his contract length, which I think was shorter than caceido

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was wrong wasn’t I!

I think you were wrong about it being best to let Caicedo leave, but that's no biggie and obviously not why I've bounced your post. You being rude and claiming I was only even arguing because of some weird need to be right about things is what I disagree with you about.

I hope you enjoyed feverishly looking that one up… I live to give.
I knew when you made the post that it was silly and I just thought at the time it'd be easier to wait a few weeks to bounce it rather than disagree, as you weren't accepting any sensible discussion.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Saw a lot of plastic big 6 followers on Twitter bugging up Rice as the player they’d go for over Moises. If they watched today they’d be embarrassed. Caicedo is levels ahead of him.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
There's always a release clause, it's the ammount that it is set at though. Maybe £80 million. And new contract obviously means higher wages as well. Has Tony decided to abandon the 'keep them low' plan

Sorry to interlude but there is not always a release clause in a players contract . I know on good authority Brighton are not a fan of this in contracts .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I just love how comfortable he is at receiving the ball in tight spaces. A touch, a turn, then someone has bounced off him or tries to climb all over him and he's like "f*** off", whilst slipping a ball out wide and we crack on. He's brilliant at that.

Argie Mac as well. They are just SO strong on the ball, and so good at using it. Perfect CM partnership.

I speak as someone who remembers Craig Gardner and JFC.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think you were wrong about it being best to let Caicedo leave, but that's no biggie and obviously not why I've bounced your post. You being rude and claiming I was only even arguing because of some weird need to be right about things is what I disagree with you about.

I knew when you made the post that it was silly and I just thought at the time it'd be easier to wait a few weeks to bounce it rather than disagree, as you weren't accepting any sensible discussion.
Guilty as charged.

But I’m kind of likeable really, annoying but likeable… like an over enthusiastic shower curtain ring seller.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I just love how comfortable he is at receiving the ball in tight spaces. A touch, a turn, then someone has bounced off him or tries to climb all over him and he's like "f*** off", whilst slipping a ball out wide and we crack on. He's brilliant at that.

Argie Mac as well. They are just SO strong on the ball, and so good at using it. Perfect CM partnership.

I speak as someone who remembers Craig Gardner and JFC.
We were laughing during the game…….10,000 shouting ‘man on’ as he took the ball with someone 2-3 yards away. Man on ? Bollocks, no chance they’ll get the ball :laugh: Stoke and West Ham have also realised you can’t kick him out of the game either. Hard as granite.

Caicedo was absolutely immense today. Immense.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We were laughing during the game…….10,000 shouting ‘man on’ as he took the ball with someone 2-3 yards away. Man on ? Bollocks, no chance they’ll get then ball :laugh: Stoke and West Ham have also realised you can’t kick him out of the game either. Hard as granite.

Caicedo was absolutely immense today. Immense.
And they have tried to kick him so many times.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Sorry to interlude but there is not always a release clause in a players contract . I know on good authority Brighton are not a fan of this in contracts .
I'm sure we aren't, but at the end of the day we won't get 100% of what we want when we're asking a player who is massively in demand to sign a longer deal.

Ultimately the player here has the bargaining position as he can choose not to sign.

Not that I'm claiming that I know what is in his contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here