Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Go on the Holiday, just make sure you get to one of the friendlies at the amex

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
How much does the first game at Falmer matter to those youngsters who never went to the Goldstone, Gillingham etc?
Not having a dig, just interested to know...

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You've dropped a bollock there, but don't miss out on a lads holiday just to go to the first game.

Do everything in your power to get back for the game but if it ain't possible don't miss out just for a day at football.

Of course-it's so obvious now. 2 weeks on the piss with a bunch of lads will be way better than THE most memorable experience an Albion fan could ever wish for.

If it's anything like any of the moronic 'lads holidays' I've been unfortunate enough to encounter on my travels then the opening day at The Amex has no competition.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Personally I'd miss the holiday and try and get the deposit back, failing that I'd suffer the loss and make sure I got my own back on a so called mate for shafting me so badly. It'd be different if it was a once in a lifetime holiday, trekking across china with 3 21 year old swedish au pairs who are all obsessed with no strings sex with slightly overweight 42 year old blokes for example but a bog standard piss up to Zante - nah I'd rather see the footy and have the opportunity to watch grown men cry at finally really coming home.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Of course-it's so obvious now. 2 weeks on the piss with a bunch of lads will be way better than THE most memorable experience an Albion fan could ever wish for.

If it's anything like any of the moronic 'lads holidays' I've been unfortunate enough to encounter on my travels then the opening day at The Amex has no competition.

Wow, I'm so glad you're here to enlighten me with your logic, how would I get through life without it :shrug:

I'm guessing the OP is about 18ish, you lot are telling him to miss out on what will be one of the highlights of the year for him and his group of friends. Put yourselves in the position of someone that age who might not have been to "just another greek island" or on a "moronic" holiday with his friends, it's a different question for someone who's middle aged and probably been there and done it/never had any interest in the first place.

Fast forward to next august - you've been to a couple of the ramp up events and the first game and it's now the second game at home which isn't that different to how the first game was, the weather has been piss awful all summer and it's raining again, your mates have returned from holiday with endless stories of the good time they had - that will be the point when you regret not spending a week in Zante.

It's obviously a very subjective question, but there's more to life than the Albion and people need to ditch the blue and white tinted specs.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I am planning on flying back in August at a cost of 1,500 notes for this one and it's just occurred to me that it might actually be difficult to get a match ticket given that I haven't been to a game for over 4 years.

:dunce:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I've also somehow convinced myself that I will get a ticket for this one, planning flights and leave already.

and now I'm thinking its going to be damn hard to get one..

Is there anything one can do to get priority, other than buying a season ticket or camping outside the ticket office?

As for the original point, there is more to life than footy. It will be a damn fine day at Falmer though

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Wow, I'm so glad you're here to enlighten me with your logic, how would I get through life without it :shrug:

I'm guessing the OP is about 18ish, you lot are telling him to miss out on what will be one of the highlights of the year for him and his group of friends. Put yourselves in the position of someone that age who might not have been to "just another greek island" or on a "moronic" holiday with his friends, it's a different question for someone who's middle aged and probably been there and done it/never had any interest in the first place.

Fast forward to next august - you've been to a couple of the ramp up events and the first game and it's now the second game at home which isn't that different to how the first game was, the weather has been piss awful all summer and it's raining again, your mates have returned from holiday with endless stories of the good time they had - that will be the point when you regret not spending a week in Zante.

It's obviously a very subjective question, but there's more to life than the Albion and people need to ditch the blue and white tinted specs.

nice try, but this is a once in a lifetime moment. I don't know who the OP is planning on going with but it does sound like a bit of a piss up holiday.

You've got the rest of your life for that.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
:

Fast forward to next august - you've been to a couple of the ramp up events and the first game and it's now the second game at home which isn't that different to how the first game was,

I will be in tears at the first game and I suspect many others will be, I probably wont be at the second game. People will be proud that they were at the opening game for the rest of their lives something I am pretty sure they wont be of a piss up in Zante.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
How much does the first game at Falmer matter to those youngsters who never went to the Goldstone, Gillingham etc?

Well I went to the Goldstone but I really don't remember it, I had two seasons tickets at the priestfield that I do remember then the withdean years.

So at 21 I've never had a home ground to call home, this is what the AMEX provides. A home to be proud of.

Id guess its a little like this for them.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I am planning on flying back in August at a cost of 1,500 notes for this one and it's just occurred to me that it might actually be difficult to get a match ticket given that I haven't been to a game for over 4 years.

:dunce:

my beloved has also booked our family hols next year and we come back 7th August. I have permission to change the flights by 1 day to be at Falmer, problem is I reckon we're nailed on to be home 1st game & live on SKY as no premiership that week, so we could be Friday night, Saturday lunchtime, Saturday teatime or Sunday lunchtime. The fixtures normally come out June and god knows when SKY announce their plans............who needs a holiday anyway!!!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

As it's my son who is the original poster here I guess I can answer this.

He was 3 when we left The Goldstone - on the day of the Doncaster game I took him along to see the ground from outside (I didn't get a ticket for him) before I went in. My wife was waiting outside for me with him in his push chair when the game finished and I came out with my piece of turf.

I took him to Gillingham about half a dozen times I guess - I think we only won one of the games we went to.

He went (was dragged) on at least two marches along the seafront, and he wrote his own letters to Prescott etc...

He's had a ST at Withdean for 6 years, and goes to as many away games as a 17 year old with a part time job can afford.

I guess the first game at Falmer means an awful lot to him.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
BTW - I told him to make his own mind up, but that I thought he should be going on the holiday.

Obviously he doesn't listen to his father.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
could just miss the first couple of days of the hol and fly out after the game on the sat night or the sunday?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
To update you all. I went to Thomas Cook today, and swapped my name on the booking for another of my friends who wants to go. Depoisit stayed with TC so my mate paid me the £75. So money back in full , and Falmer bound.
:amex:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here