Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Missing submersible.

Nibbler

710 77345
Aug 12, 2014
Westdene
I don't know why anyone would want to spend vast amounts of cash to visit the resting place of the Titanic. If you are interested in that sort of thing there are 3D scans and VR experiences which show more detail than you could see from a submersible with a tiny window.

I suppose some people have so much cash they don't know what to do with it? It's like that billionaire who died on the operating table as they were trying to give him a bigger penis.

Hopefully they will be rescued, and will use their wealth on less self indulgent projects in the future.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
I don't know why anyone would want to spend vast amounts of cash to visit the resting place of the Titanic. If you are interested in that sort of thing there are 3D scans and VR experiences which show more detail than you could see from a submersible with a tiny window.
Yeah I mean there are already long videos of the Titanic relict underwater and it's not like by being in that submarine you'd have a more "direct" experience than that, since you'd still be at a distance and separated by a screen/window plus tons of metal. You'd still only experience a metal cubicle and a window where hopefully you'd see a bit of the Titanic underwater. There really is no reason to do it. I could have maybe understood it if that was the only way to see the current state of the Titanic and there weren't any available videos or pictures of it, but that's not the case.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Well it isn't as simple as just going up and down, there's strong underwater currents that can cause huge drift, especially if they have power or manoeuvring problems. The wreck of the Titanic is scattered over a huge area and when you're searching in the dark it's worse than a needle in a haystack. The only thing I thought they'd have would be an independently powered beacon that would help pinpoint their location, even that deep under water, but maybe that tech doesn't exist.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Good news! It does actually have a toilet (no, really).
Literally sitting on the bottom of the seabed shitting themselves in front of one another. Grim

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Any decent conspiracy theories doing the rounds yet?
Prime suspect.

IMG_8901.jpeg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Well it isn't as simple as just going up and down, there's strong underwater currents that can cause huge drift, especially if they have power or manoeuvring problems. The wreck of the Titanic is scattered over a huge area and when you're searching in the dark it's worse than a needle in a haystack. The only thing I thought they'd have would be an independently powered beacon that would help pinpoint their location, even that deep under water, but maybe that tech doesn't exist.
Or perhaps it wasn't in 'Camperworld' when they were kitting it out...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Or perhaps it wasn't in 'Camperworld' when they were kitting it out...

Some expert was saying earlier that GPS doesn't work that far down.

I saw the CBS documentary, and realised just how rudimentary that sub is. There aren't even any seats in it: they're all just sat on the floor, and asked to take their shoes off on entry. If you paid me £195,000, I still wouldn't get in that thing. Terrifying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here