Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes applause for the Albion fan who sadly passed away at Falmer.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If You don't join in public shows of grief do people have a go? That is the question in need of an answer. Interestingly, We've had more of these during the Amex era than goldstone and withdean combined. Why is that? Marks a significant change in human behaviour. One for the sociologists - any on here?

Who is going to notice if you don't clap during the 5th minute? And why would they care anyway??

As an aside... the 5th minute is when the clock shows 00:04... I suspect people will applaud, if they are going to, during the 6th minute, when the clock shows 00:05. Or perhaps a bit of both?
or maybe the club will do the sensible thing and put a picture/message up on the screen when they want us to applaud?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Who is going to notice if you don't clap during the 5th minute? And why would they care anyway??
not necessarily to do with tomorrow, I'm talking any such occasions. Anyone not complied and been confronted etc? But more interestingly why has this become the norm when many do not feel at ease with?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

As an aside... the 5th minute is when the clock shows 00:04... I suspect people will applaud, if they are going to, during the 6th minute, when the clock shows 00:05. Or perhaps a bit of both?
or maybe the club will do the sensible thing and put a picture/message up on the screen when they want us to applaud?

I am sure they will put a message on the screens - just like when Don Lock was killed at the start of the season or for Tony Langridge

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not quite sure what the significance of the 5th minute is either.

I'll join in with the applause of course, but it does leave this gesture at the mercy of whatever is happening on the pitch at the time.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Because it was 5-0!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm not quite sure what the significance of the 5th minute is either.

I'll join in with the applause of course, but it does leave this gesture at the mercy of whatever is happening on the pitch at the time.

Its the Fulham result isn't it? Otherwise it would have been the 92nd minute when the ground is almost empty

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
When something like this is organised (by the club, rather than a fan-led thing) I honestly don't get the 'applause in the nth minute' thing, whether the 'n' is the person's age, or whatever other significance. If you really want to mark somebody's passing, with a mark of respect, why not just do a proper minute's silence / applause before kick off? Anything else seems a bit half-hearted to me.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ffs its one minute ONE minute of people clapping a fellow fan that's died why the f*** are people moaning about it? Get a life for Christ sake people its really not a big deal

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ffs its one minute ONE minute of people clapping a fellow fan that's died why the f*** are people moaning about it? Get a life for Christ sake people its really not a big deal

Who is MOANING about it?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Not sure why the club can't just do an announcement before the start sending their condolences etc ? The minutes silence (and why a minutes applause if someone has died I do not know) has now been totally devalued to the point of being worthless now.

The grief bandwagon has gone into overdrive now, everyone must be seen to parade their feelings in public and if you don't the grief police will be jumping down your throat.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

"Supporters, including those on the club's unofficial forum North Stand Chat, have suggested a minute's applause during the fifth minute of tomorrow night's match against QPR at the Amex.
This has been welcomed by Mr Caesar's family.
Mr Caesar's family asked the club to pass on their thanks to Albion fans and players, and supporters across the country, for their messages of condolences. "

When I go, I hope it's sudden, at the age of 92, celebrating a wonderful 5-0 win. And I hope you'll all applaud me, a fellow lifelong fan.

Edit: And I hope I look as good as him!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
When something like this is organised (by the club, rather than a fan-led thing)

It was a fan led thing. The thread on NSC, and these tweets shared by the players (Sidwell, Stockdale and others) are what prompted the idea.

[tweet]721675284668379136[/tweet]

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
So if the players feel that way why isn't a proper minutes silence done ?

It's fairly easy for a player to re-tweet something - it doesn't mean they want it done. Pressure on them to re-tweet it too.

Anyway, the grieving family looks like they are OK with the one-man mission.

RIP fella, anyway.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So if the players feel that way why isn't a proper minutes silence done ?

Whats "proper" ? . Clapping to mark deaths at football matches whilst they are happening is something thats just as proper, and (for some) more appropriate than a minutes silence pre-match.
The Amex has already done it once this season for Don Lock at their families request for example. And minutes applause are far more common , pre-match , these days at the request of families than silence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here