Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes applause for the Albion fan who sadly passed away at Falmer.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
A few years ago if a fan died there was a note in the programme if they were lucky, now it seems a minutes silence/applause whatever happens for the spurious of reasons at times which of course then devaluates it. The club have a memorial garden, anyone wanting to pay their respects can simply go there and have a few moments thought rather than try and force their opinion onto everyone else

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think it is slightly different because the fan died at the stadium, rather than in a hospital or at home.

I've just posted the latest Argus article in the other thread, and the club is organising a tribute.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Jesus Christ, I try and do something simple, like try and arrange a 1 minute applause for a sadly passed Albion fan, who died after a match, watching the team he loved. It's all over Facebook, with not 1 person thinking it's a bad idea, all over Twitter, retweeted by Naylor, Johnny Cantor, Calde, several of the Ladies players, all who think it's a great idea. I then post it on here, thinking it will give it far more of a boost, then I realise the reason why I never bother with this site any more, as some of you lot are so precious, so stuck up your own arses, and still stuck in the dark ages. Shame on you.

I'd leave it to the friends and family to organise, if I didn't know him. Seems a little odd for a stranger to do all this, don't you think? We know you mean well.

Stumpy Tim

A few years ago if a fan died there was a note in the programme if they were lucky, now it seems a minutes silence/applause whatever happens for the spurious of reasons at times which of course then devaluates it. The club have a memorial garden, anyone wanting to pay their respects can simply go there and have a few moments thought rather than try and force their opinion onto everyone else

Not that lucky really

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I think it is slightly different because the fan died at the stadium, rather than in a hospital or at home.

I've just posted the latest Argus article in the other thread, and the club is organising a tribute.

um, he died on a railway station platform, are we going to set a precedent that we have a minute's applause every time a supporter dies ? I've put a note in my will that this will not happen when I pop my clogs, merely because my wife asked me the question.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Just so i've got this right... The OP hasn't even asked the family (so obviously not part of the family, or a very, very good friend speaking on their behalf) if this is ok ?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I would strongly advise nothing is organised until the family have been consulted, it's very easy to assume "this is what they'd / he'd have wanted" but could be far removed for what they / he would('ve) actually apprecaite. Emotions will be running high at the moment and this poor chaps family really can be the only people who decide what's fitting and what's not.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've put a note in my will that this will not happen when I pop my clogs, merely because my wife asked me the question.

Likewise, I really wouldn't want this for me either. I've never got my head around the whole applause at football matches thing and it certainly all got a bit surreal with the Muamba incident at the Amex when the soldier who lost both legs in Afghanistan was on the pitch and applauding Muamba for not dying.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13

Good luck with this quote, I stated something similar a few years back about a footballer who had died, I forget his name now (there have been so many). Anyway the upshot was he was a legend up North, had never played for Brighton and because I refused a minutes silence and preferred to stay in the concourse I was lambasted and accused of not being a member of the wider football community by quite a few of the NSC keyboard warriors.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I would strongly advise nothing is organised until the family have been consulted, it's very easy to assume "this is what they'd / he'd have wanted" but could be far removed for what they / he would('ve) actually apprecaite. Emotions will be running high at the moment and this poor chaps family really can be the only people who decide what's fitting and what's not.

THIS !

As well meaning as it is, a minute's applause [or whatever] might actually be the last thing his family would want. Ask ....

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
If the Albion put it on their big screens I will stand and applaud as this will mean they have the familys approval, if they don't I'll assume it hasnt been approved by the family and will judge the situation at the time :clap2:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I agree that there shouldn't be anything done with the agreement of the family involved however, the worry now is that there will be some who will ignore this and start applause on 5 minutes as a point of principle. Common sense should prevail.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
by the time this debate draws to a close it's likely that another dozen or so Albion fans will have turned their toes up...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
by the time this debate draws to a close it's likely that another dozen or so Albion fans will have turned their toes up...

Maybe. But this one's raw and vivid. Anybody waiting for a train into Brighton immediately after the Early Leaver Express would have seen, and been affected by, the medical emergency taking place directly opposite. :down:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/family-welcome-minutes-applause-3066293.aspx

Albion will pay tribute to Dennis Caesar on Tuesday night.

The family of Brighton & Hove Albion fan Dennis Caesar, who sadly died after Friday night's match against Fulham at the Amex, has asked the club to pass on their thanks to Albion fans, players and supporters across the country, for their messages of condolences.

They have also thanked the medical staff, emergency services and club staff who assisted at the scene on Friday evening at Falmer Station.

Dennis, 92, an Albion season-ticket holder, was at the match with his family, and fell ill after the game. The thoughts of all at the club are with his family at this time.

The family made contact with the club earlier today, to say they have been touched by the many, many tributes which have poured in via social media and on the internet - from Albion fans and those of other clubs.

They also thanked Albion fans for the suggestion of a minute's applause during the fifth minute of tomorrow night's match against QPR at the Amex, and feel it would be a fitting tribute to Dennis.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/family-welcome-minutes-applause-3066293.aspx

• SEARCH
  • SEARCH

Skip to main content

image: [url]http://www.seagulls.co.uk/cms_images/team-header/bhafc-2colour-cmyk229-215485.png
bhafc-2colour-cmyk229-215485.png
[/URL]
[h=2]Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club[/h]

• Home
    • >
    • News
    • >
    • FAMILY WELCOME MINUTE'S APPLAUSE

[h=1]FAMILY WELCOME MINUTE'S APPLAUSE[/h]
image: http://www.seagulls.co.uk/cms_images/applause-l229-3066242_478x359.jpg
applause-l229-3066242_478x359.jpg

A minute's applause will be held.
Image by: Paul Hazlewood

PUBLISHED
16:00 18th April 2016
Albion will pay tribute to Dennis Caesar on Tuesday night.

The family of Brighton & Hove Albion fan Dennis Caesar, who sadly died after Friday night's match against Fulham at the Amex, has asked the club to pass on their thanks to Albion fans, players and supporters across the country, for their messages of condolences.

They have also thanked the medical staff, emergency services and club staff who assisted at the scene on Friday evening at Falmer Station.

Dennis, 92, an Albion season-ticket holder, was at the match with his family, and fell ill after the game. The thoughts of all at the club are with his family at this time.

The family made contact with the club earlier today, to say they have been touched by the many, many tributes which have poured in via social media and on the internet - from Albion fans and those of other clubs.

They also thanked Albion fans for the suggestion of a minute's applause during the fifth minute of tomorrow night's match against QPR at the Amex, and feel it would be a fitting tribute to Dennis.

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...tes-applause-3066293.aspx#KFoFXKOylsq41K1E.99

:clap2:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Pleased Club are doing applause with families support.......On a side note, would Dennis be the oldest club supporter/season ticket holder ? Anyone know anyone as old who goes ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If You don't join in public shows of grief do people have a go? That is the question in need of an answer. Interestingly, We've probably had more of these during the Amex era than goldstone and withdean combined, many nothing to do with football or the club? Why is that? Marks a significant change in human behaviour. One for the sociologists - any on here?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here