Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minute's applause for Mandela ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I thought the Leicester fans took it to extremes with their 90 minute silence.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
The bizarre yet all too predictable minutes applause for a world leader passing, with context utterly absent any any form. I don't remember any marking of the passing of Joe Farman earlier this year. Without his work on the British Antarctic Survey in the 1980's none of us may even be here by now. His home-made weather balloons etc found a gaping hole in the ozone layer and he was brave enough to publish research rubbishing the NASA satellites saying there was no hole ( discovered later that their software deliberately discounted "erroneous" data showing up things that shouldn't be there and there checking systems were over-ridden by their scientists who knew better). Without his work the seriousness of the situation would not have been discovered in time. All major countries producing CFCs banned them within a few years. NASA took years to fully admit the scale of their errors.

A British unknown unheralded hero working for decades in a lonely inhospitable place whose hard work produced one of the most important discoveries in human history. I take it that spare plinth at Trafalgar Square is still occupied by some art students.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That bloke from the Fast and Furious died. No applause for him. Where do you draw the line.

In honour of his life in film there should have been just 10 seconds of very intense clapping.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
What's it got to do with football?

I'm reminded of this book. Worth putting on the reading list this Christmas...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Than-Just-Game-Apartheid/dp/0007302991

Great post, no doubt the football connection will be disputed on here still.

Football-v-Apartheid_.jpg

The most important football story ever told.

`It is amazing to think that a game that people take for granted all around the world, was the very same game that gave a group of prisoners sanity – and in a way, gave us the resolve to carry on the struggle'. Anthony Suze, Robben Island Prisoner.

This is the astonishing story of a unique group of political prisoners and freedom fighters who found a sense of dignity in one of the ugliest hellholes on Earth: South Africa’s infamous Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was famously incarderated. Despite all odds and regular torture, beatings and daily backbreaking hard labour, these extraordinary men turned soccer into an active force in the struggle for freedom.

For nearly 20 years, these prisoners found the energy, spirit and resolve to organise a 1400 prisoner-strong, eight club football league which was played with strict adherance to FIFA rules.

The prisoners themselves represented a broad array of political beliefs and backgrounds, yet football became an impassioned and unified symbol of resistance against apartheid. They refused to let their own political differences sway their devotion to the sport, which allowed them to organise and maintain leadership right under the noses of their captors.

This league not only provided sanctuary and respite from the prisoners’ cruel surroundings, it kept their minds active and many credit it with keeping them alive. More Than Just a Game chronicles their story, the politics of the time, the extraordinary characters, their heroism and the thrilling matches themselves.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
Some people on here are acting as if they are having to give extra money to do this. It's one minute to respect one of the greatest political figures in the 20th century. Grow up.

This.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Was at Waterhall this morning. The game my boy played in had a minutes silence, as did the one on the pitch next to him, but I don't think there was anything on the other kids game nearby, and definitely nothing for the near by adults game. All had Sussex FA refs, so I wonder what their directive was?

Left to the refs disrection?
Ask the players first then decide?
Just do it (some refs either forgetting or choosing to disobey orders)

All very bizarre.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

very much not this. firstly it equates giving money as a negative experience (interesting as we are supposedly celebrating a man famous for his generosity, in terms of forgiveness and compassion, and work with the underprivileged and sick in his own country) , secondly it hectors people to agree with their view that people should join in a mass co ordinated display, and questioning your own part in a synchronised display is somehow immature. a scary post, to be honest. bullish and with no acceptance there are other alternative viewpoints. but morally ring fenced because of who we are discussing.

considering mandela was so generous to those who opposed him, wronged him personally, and millions around him, the irony is staggering. never, 'this'.

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Some people on here are acting as if they are having to give extra money to do this. It's one minute to respect one of the greatest political figures in the 20th century. Grow up.

It did not bother me if a minutes applause was asked for by the football league, it did not bother me that probably a vast number of people wanted to clap and many others just joined in as asked. I observed the minute quietly.

Great post, no doubt the football connection will be disputed on here still.

View attachment 49363

The most important football story ever told.

`It is amazing to think that a game that people take for granted all around the world, was the very same game that gave a group of prisoners sanity – and in a way, gave us the resolve to carry on the struggle'. Anthony Suze, Robben Island Prisoner.

This is the astonishing story of a unique group of political prisoners and freedom fighters who found a sense of dignity in one of the ugliest hellholes on Earth: South Africa’s infamous Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was famously incarderated. Despite all odds and regular torture, beatings and daily backbreaking hard labour, these extraordinary men turned soccer into an active force in the struggle for freedom.

For nearly 20 years, these prisoners found the energy, spirit and resolve to organise a 1400 prisoner-strong, eight club football league which was played with strict adherance to FIFA rules.

The prisoners themselves represented a broad array of political beliefs and backgrounds, yet football became an impassioned and unified symbol of resistance against apartheid. They refused to let their own political differences sway their devotion to the sport, which allowed them to organise and maintain leadership right under the noses of their captors.

This league not only provided sanctuary and respite from the prisoners’ cruel surroundings, it kept their minds active and many credit it with keeping them alive. More Than Just a Game chronicles their story, the politics of the time, the extraordinary characters, their heroism and the thrilling matches themselves.
The mere fact that the debate about yesterday's tribute is drawing out stories of how the anti-apartheid struggle overlapped with things that matter to us is justification for the minute spent clapping.

Yes ... it was relevant to football. And it was relevant to England, Sussex and Brighton too - although I accept that not everyone may know this. I do, by virtue of the fact that I was privileged to be a student at Sussex University's School of African and Asian Studies back in the sixties, where I shared accommodation with a number of fellow students who were "banned" back home in South Africa.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yep LB, and if we consider that racism in football has been, and still is, prevalent in many countries of the world it couldn’t be any more connected and current.

Also not forgetting that it gives all the footballers of African descent who play throughout our leagues a chance to publicly show their appreciation of the man.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The mere fact that the debate about yesterday's tribute is drawing out stories of how the anti-apartheid struggle overlapped with things that matter to us is justification for the minute spent clapping.

Yes ... it was relevant to football. And it was relevant to England, Sussex and Brighton too - although I accept that not everyone may know this. I do, by virtue of the fact that I was privileged to be a student at Sussex University's School of African and Asian Studies back in the sixties, where I shared accommodation with a number of fellow students who were "banned" back home in South Africa.

Blimey, tenuous barely does it justice. Careful not to stretch it any further or else it will snap completely.

I'm fully aware of the the School of African and Asian Studies at Sussex University. Highly regarded and a second best for those not able to gain entrance to SOAS no doubt, but to mention it here is straw clutching at it's finest.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Apologies if someone has already written this as tbh I haven't the time to read all 10 pages, but how do those who "don't want to be told" how to show their respect feel about the minutes' silence on Remembrance weekend? We had a massive thread on here PRAISING everything that was organised that day. I am aware it's perhaps more directly linked to this country, but it's the same principle/argument surely?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Apologies if someone has already written this as tbh I haven't the time to read all 10 pages, but how do those who "don't want to be told" how to show their respect feel about the minutes' silence on Remembrance weekend? We had a massive thread on here PRAISING everything that was organised that day. I am aware it's perhaps more directly linked to this country, but it's the same principle/argument surely?

If I choose to attend a Rememberence Day service, which incidentally I did, it is of my own choice. When I am at The Amex and the Football League instruct clubs to hold a minutes applause many people will feel little choice but to join in, especially if they are concerned about being seen to be disrespectful.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

It is indeed exactly the same principle/argument and, as I indicated in earlier posts, personally I don't agree with those being held at football matches either. People should go to their local ceremony/service if they wish to show their respects as that is far more meaningful. If I was ever asked to stand for a round of applause for 'Our Brave Boys' at a football match I would decline. I do however respect silences and on Rememberance Sunday I take the opportunity to think of all the innocent victims of war the world over, not just Commonwealth armed forces.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It is indeed exactly the same principle/argument and, as I indicated in earlier posts, personally I don't agree with those being held at football matches either. People should go to their local ceremony/service if they wish to show their respects as that is far more meaningful. If I was ever asked to stand for a round of applause for 'Our Brave Boys' at a football match I would decline. I do however respect silences and on Rememberance Sunday I take the opportunity to think of all the innocent victims of war the world over, not just Commonwealth armed forces.

Fair enough, just read that earlier post. Think me and you are very much on the same page on this one!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
If I choose to attend a Rememberence Day service, which incidentally I did, it is of my own choice. When I am at The Amex and the Football League instruct clubs to hold a minutes applause many people will feel little choice but to join in, especially if they are concerned about being seen to be disrespectful.

I agree completely with everything you've said there. I was just pointing out the difference in tone of this thread compared to the one 3 weeks ago over what is basically the same thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here