Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minute's applause for Mandela ?

Jan 30, 2008
A great show of appreciation for a wonderful man. I understand why some do not see the need to do it before a match but there are not many more deserving of such a tribute.
how did you work that one out , it was being forced upon people entering a sports stadium what the **** is that all about :nono:
regards
DR

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
how did you work that one out , it was being forced upon people entering a sports stadium what the **** is that all about :nono:
regards
DR

How did I work that one out? Hmmm, maybe it was the fact he was one of the most significant people in recent history and fought for the freedom of the oppressed? I saw no stewards marching up and down ejecting anyone who didn't clap! If you didn't agree with it and didn't clap then that's up to you.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
How did I work that one out? Hmmm, maybe it was the fact he was one of the most significant people in recent history and fought for the freedom of the oppressed? I saw no stewards marching up and down ejecting anyone who didn't clap! If you didn't agree with it and didn't clap then that's up to you.

very eloquently put, but just what did he have to do with the football club I support ? Sport and politics do not mix.....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It wasn't compulsory. Most people round me clapped but one didn't and no one had a go at him or even pointed it out. I happen to think Mandela is one of the most inspiring people to have ever walked the planet. I happen to KNOW not everyone agrees. I also happen to think it's a bit of a stretch doing a minute's applause for him at an English Championship game. Just didn't see the relevance. But it's not like anyone was holding a gun to your head and forcing you, unlike apartheid era SA.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
There's been more time spent moaning about not clapping on here than what the minute took anyway ???

Let's spend a couple of days talking about not clapping :lolol:

tbh it warmed my hands and got the blood circulating.

Jan 30, 2008
what a shocking state of affairs that some people seriously think i can't be arsed to give a minute of my time as " he had nothing to do with football ", " he was not from sussex " " he did not support bhafc " balls to it. Quite incredible really.
you wouldn't have had to clap if it hadn't been forced upon the occasion of a football match......... Think about it ???
regards
DR

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
very eloquently put, but just what did he have to do with the football club I support ? Sport and politics do not mix.....

Cheers :thumbsup: You're right he had nothing to do with Brighton but not joining in the clapping simply because he had nothing to do with football does seem a bit silly, he hasn't been remembered in this fashion for just any old achievement.

Jan 30, 2008
Cheers :thumbsup: You're right he had nothing to do with Brighton but not joining in the clapping simply because he had nothing to do with football does seem a bit silly, he hasn't been remembered in this fashion for just any old achievement.
still missing the point :rolleyes:
regards
DR

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

He is probably the greatest leader of people in my living memory and others would do well to take a leaf out of his book.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

sorry, have to take issue with you, I'm not 'silly' , just do not think it was wise of the FA to make such a dictate , if I felt that strongly about his passing , instead of driving 110 miles to the Amex, I would have driven the same distance to sign the book of condolence at the South African Embassy .

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
sorry, have to take issue with you, I'm not 'silly' , just do not think it was wise of the FA to make such a dictate , if I felt that strongly about his passing , instead of driving 110 miles to the Amex, I would have driven the same distance to sign the book of condolence at the South African Embassy .

Didn't mean it personally, sorry if I've offended. I can understand where you're coming from with regards to the FA, it should have been down to the clubs.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have already spent my own time in reflective thought about Nelson Mandela and what he achieved, a greater man will probably not walk this earth whilst I am alive.

When the minute's applause was announced I left my seat and went to the concourse. I REFUSE to be told when I should or should not show respect, it has no place in football, other than a continuation of the overall control culture.

Football fans, change that, society, needs to grow some balls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here