Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minecraft - Is it worth playing?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Like other's, my 6 and 4 year olds were all over it, without us understanding it fully.

I then watched a BBC documentary on it which showed parallels with lego/Mecano as a building tool.

Architects/surveyors etc of today, largely had Lego/Mecano previously as kids, and they think Minecraft is the modern day equivalent for tomorrow's Architects..

Made the Missus feel better about it anyway.. :lol:

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
My 6 year old son absolutely loves it. Everything is football and Minecraft nowadays!

Have to admit... I'm also partial to a spot of Minecraft every now and then too. Very addictive and you can lose hours and hours, with not really a great deal to show for it!

I think it is pretty good for my sons development, gets his creative juices flowing, and the advantage it has over lego is that it gets you thinking about how things are made, rather than simply making things out of bricks. You get a real sense of achievement knowing you've gathered the materials to make your house!

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
vanilla (original) minecraft is OK. Fun for the kids. Modded minecraft is something completely different. extremely technical and diverse. heaps and heaps of fun if you have the time to learn the mods and their many functions.

edit: If you're an adult and want to play minecraft, you need a PC. the console generic versions are as standard. all the tech mods are for PC only. there are many sites that build "mod packs" for people to enjoy. FTB launcher fore example.

And for those wanting to learn the technical side of thing i suggest watching some of Direwolf20 lets play on youtube. very clever man who does all the testing for mods before they are released.

Last edited:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Via a mac it says £17 to download. For this is it playable without add ons for a good period or does It need more cash thrown at it every day? Other thoughts ?Thanks

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I got started and it's giving me wood.

Seriously though, 4 hours in and all i've been doing is building a house and feeding my dog with some occasional mining.

It is quite fun :)

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
My (12 year old) daughter is on it ALL the time, but does use it to help with her Product Design stuff at School.

On the youtube thing, it's funny watching videos of Minecraft trolls destroying worlds built by 8 year old kids, then hearing them completely meltdown. Cruel, but funny

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
My son played incessantly for months. He got his own server set up and had people joining his game to play on it. He made loads of money on it - people would buy upgrades and special skills to use in the game. I don't understand it but he loved it.

He is now at college doing a business and computing course.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I dip into it now and again. Like others have said, you really can lose hours and hours without really even achieving anything. I'm currently starting a new "project" now it's on Xbox One, so have spent a few hours here and here this week gathering materials. Sounds massively sad I know but i find it rather relaxing just sitting there digging.

Oh and the 5 year old loves it. Been burning my houses down for 2 years now.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Okay, so how do I stop now?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Love it or hate it, Microsoft has just bought the makers of Minecraft for $2.5BILLION

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here