Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minecraft - Is it worth playing?

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
It's the crack cocaine of video games. Its a mix of Lego, Sims and Dungeons & Dragons.

You start off building a house, then a castle, then you give a wolf a bone and you have a pet dog and you think.... yeah this is alright but I'm starting to get bored.

Then you dig a big hole (or go exploring and find a big hole) and f*ck me, there are massive underground cave systems with zombies and skeletons; and waterfalls and hot lava; with hidden chambers and collapsing ceilings.

And next thing you know its 6am on monday morning, the weekend has disappeared and the missus is f*cking fuming!

At least that's what happened to me! :blush:

Same :)

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It's the crack cocaine of video games. Its a mix of Lego, Sims and Dungeons & Dragons.

You start off building a house, then a castle, then you give a wolf a bone and you have a pet dog and you think.... yeah this is alright but I'm starting to get bored.

Then you dig a big hole (or go exploring and find a big hole) and f*ck me, there are massive underground cave systems with zombies and skeletons; and waterfalls and hot lava; with hidden chambers and collapsing ceilings.

And next thing you know its 6am on monday morning, the weekend has disappeared and the missus is f*cking fuming!

At least that's what happened to me! :blush:
This. Exactly this. All this 'it's for kids' is like saying that football is 'just a game'.

Strictly speaking, both assertions are correct, but...you know...they're not really.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Minecraft is for people who can't have sex - so basically children under 16 or fat ugly adults!

Seriously, how shit must a persons' life be if they want to play this after they've grown their first pube :facepalm:

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Minecraft is for people who can't have sex - so basically children under 16 or fat ugly adults!

Seriously, how shit must a persons' life be if they want to play this after they've grown their first pube :facepalm:

When you get a wife and kids and the base unit and large keyboard for proper games goes out the window, and you only have an iPad or a Laptop which sucks for first person shooters and such. Last time I entered a multiplayer game I got killed instantly and frequently on it.

Minecraft is like the best 80's game you never had.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Utterly pointless and daft.

Insanely addictive and fun.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I've never really got it. But then I can't really comment as I haven't played it.

This however did blow my mind...

Some one builds working 1kb Hdd in minecraft

I find that almost literally mind blowing!

Got to admit didnt understand the hype but just picked up a ps4 and want a game to play during insomnia and find that most games just over-work my brain eg concentration of 1st person shooters etc but maybe this is not it as I will just be thinking of new stuff to make.

My daughter is addicted to it. I can understand the addiction to playing it, why not after all? But it's the addiction to watching youtube videos of other people playing it that I find a bit weird

On a similar theme, watching youtube video of folks opening bags of Moshi Monsters.

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
Ok at first look it's Lego on a PC, but like most things when you look a bit deeper they get far more complicated and interesting.

My Grandson (11) 'plays' it and his grasp of how things work has improved beyond belief. He's a normal guy, plays football, rides his bike, goes to the youth club and the skatepark, with his mates. But Mincraft has opened his mind to truth tables and logic gates and how they can be used to control processes.

I'm not saying he up to the level of understanding, let alone constructing the1KB memory block, but he and his mates have constructed machines that work.

Minecraft isn't just a game it's a game that encourages learning and if you enjoy learning you progress far more quickly.

Google 'Minecraft escalator' for an example of what kids can achieve.

Sent from my iPad

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It's nothing short of a phenomenon. Personally I've never got into it (in fairness I've not really given it a proper go) but I've heard largely good things about it. The only real limit on what you can build is your creativity and patience

I know that it has been used in schools and that I've heard that, as it's a sandbox to get creative in, it is a big help for kids with autism that otherwise struggle to express themselves

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here