Millwall Violence

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
And this is exactly what I was saying. These away morons are putting people off from going to watch the football.

How long have you been going to football?

It is safer than it has ever been. If you are put off by away fans now then God knows what you'd have done in the 70's and 80's.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How long have you been going to football?

It is safer than it has ever been. If you are put off by away fans now then God knows what you'd have done in the 70's and 80's.
I know the modern game is over-sanitised and over-priced but I genuinely think people look at football in the 80s through very rose tinted spectacles and that a day out at the football is far superior nowadays. There were plenty of times in the 80s when going to the football was a bit of a shit experience for all but the most entrenched football fans. So in response to your question here, he probably wouldn't have gone to the football - along with about 10,000 other attendees from last night.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I know the modern game is over-sanitised and over-priced but I genuinely think people look at football in the 80s through very rose tinted spectacles and that a day out at the football is far superior nowadays. There were plenty of times in the 80s when going to the football was a bit of a shit experience for all but the most entrenched football fans. So in response to your question here, he probably wouldn't have gone to the football - along with about 10,000 other attendees from last night.

Yes I'd be inclined to agree. But, and this isn't meant to be a dig, the kind of people who wouldn't have gone to the football in the 80's because it was a bit edgy and they didn't like the away fans, are part of the reason why the atmosphere isn't as good in the grounds today. 50% that, and 50% terracing anyway.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes I'd be inclined to agree. But, and this isn't meant to be a dig, the kind of people who wouldn't have gone to the football in the 80's because it was a bit edgy and they didn't like the away fans, are part of the reason why the atmosphere isn't as good in the grounds today. 50% that, and 50% terracing anyway.
I don't think the atmosphere issue isn't as clear cut as that. I remember many a night game at the Goldstone in the 80s where the atmosphere was truly shithouse, even in 1985/6 (epic season) when we were chasing a place in the top 3.

For me, if we want a return to a better atmosphere, we simply need the safe standing option.

Stu1

Sep 21, 2004
Leeds
Jesus Christ unfortunately it is quite normal for away fans to be like that (even our own) I'm not saying I approve of any violence as it's pathetic but if you think that football will ever get to handing out animals made out of balloons and jelly and ice cream then your mistaken

Because we now have a stadium attractive to away fans we are now encountering the same problems as every other football club most weekends if you don't like it maybe you should consider watching golf or tennis or public school boy rugby where there is zero chance of trouble

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Jesus Christ unfortunately it is quite normal for away fans to be like that (even our own) I'm not saying I approve of any violence as it's pathetic but if you think that football will ever get to handing out animals made out of balloons and jelly and ice cream then your mistaken

Because we now have a stadium attractive to away fans we are now encountering the same problems as every other football club most weekends if you don't like it maybe you should consider watching golf or tennis or public school boy rugby where there is zero chance of trouble

Thats all very well but when next years game v Milwall comes around a good few will not go because of what happened or what they experienced. And can you blame them, who wants to put your kids at risk or your elderly parent. Its just how some people view Millwall fans and some fans will give it a miss.

greengu11

Sep 16, 2010
West Sussex/Surrey Border
I did not see any trouble, but clearly there was, not surprised as it is Millwall. Only issue we experienced was when a bunch of them asked my 16 year old daughter to show them her t*ts. Me and cousin (being blokes the wrong side of 40) looked at one another and could not decide if they were actually talking to us :rolleyes:. She told them to Feck Orf and they did, real men you see ???

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't think the atmosphere issue isn't as clear cut as that. I remember many a night game at the Goldstone in the 80s where the atmosphere was truly shithouse, even in 1985/6 (epic season) when we were chasing a place in the top 3.

For me, if we want a return to a better atmosphere, we simply need the safe standing option.

So actually, you think it is even more clear cut than that then? :thumbsup:

I'm not sure standing is as big an issue as people make it out to be. If the North was converting to safe standing I think it would help a bit (and I for one would much prefer it) but the atmosphere there is relatively good compared to most home grounds already. The demographics of people going to football has changed over the last 15 years, and I think that has had more of an effect on the atmosphere than standing. Especially as most of the North stands for the whole game anyway.

DBL

Banned
Sep 22, 2011

Brill. Attitudes like that & the families, older fans, newbies & I am sure many of the existing supporters will be put off in coming to watch. Back to the 80s then!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Brill. Attitudes like that & the families, older fans, newbies & I am sure many of the existing supporters will be put off in coming to watch. Back to the 80s then!

It's safer and more sanitised than it's EVER been, especially at Brighton. If some kinds of people are put off by how it is now because they think it is still too rowdy, then good, I'd rather those people didn't go, because they are the ones who will be responsible for it becoming even more sanitised and squeezing even more atmosphere out of the game.

You cannot compare the Amex experience with football in the 80's!

If rowdy away fans scare you, then don't go to games involving Millwall. It's always been the same, and it isn't going to change. 95% of the other games you will encounter no problems.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Hmmm, you're probably right.

But encourage him to give it another go. Can't see it kicking off when we play Middlesbrough!

Brian Riggs

Aug 7, 2009
Having been going to the Albion for nearly 40 years, last night didn't surprise me at all. Not saying it's right, of course it's not. But with teams like Millwall and their following now having the opportunity to take 2,300 or so instead of app. 800, you're going to get three times as many idiots making the trip which, in Millwall's case, will is quite a few.

Expect the same, but not quite as bad, for Portsmouth, Cardiff and Birmingham...

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
So actually, you think it is even more clear cut than that then? :thumbsup:

I'm not sure standing is as big an issue as people make it out to be. If the North was converting to safe standing I think it would help a bit (and I for one would much prefer it) but the atmosphere there is relatively good compared to most home grounds already. The demographics of people going to football has changed over the last 15 years, and I think that has had more of an effect on the atmosphere than standing. Especially as most of the North stands for the whole game anyway.
Spot on.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
i did laugh walking to the ground, when we played palace there were a few Palace lads giving it very large coming over the bridge, looking for a bit of trouble they were skinny pricks with spots and I reckon my mum would have floored them with out breaking a sweat. Last night walking under the underpath, there was about 6-7 Millwall lads giving it large, the differance was they looked like proper thugs, huge fuckers with shaved heads (not at all sterotyping if you happend to have a shaved head)....I dont think a Brighton fan...me included looked at them, didnt want to get eye contact!!
Yeah but our skinny pricks with spots are harder than the Millwall huge fuckers with shaven heads! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports