Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
….quite some distance

D855F12F-C16C-4974-BF61-2DF85FA328E8.jpeg

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Looking at the highlights there, I think he doesn’t send him off, because he thinks that Raya may very well save it - this he’s NOT denied a goal.
I do think that's right. It's a judgement call and opinion will vary. In any event being down to 10 for just a few minutes is unlikely to be significant. By that time they were in total defensive mode anyway.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
With the non-red card, could it possibly be because they thought the keeper would save it? Does that in some way make it a not-goal-scoring-opportunity if the keeper would clearly have stopped it?

Or was it because it was Brighton at the Amex where red cards for the opposition are illegal?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It doesn’t matter if Raya might’ve saved it. It’s still a mandatory red card offence.

“Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence, the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)”.

Exactly the same as a mandatory red card for bringing someone down bearing in on the goalie.

Certainty a goal would’ve been scored plays no part in the law or decision.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
He wouldn’t have been the only one to think it was going over, I was in mid rant about Undav’s finishing when I realised all our players were demanding a penalty!
This was me too - it was looking like it was the third consecutive home game Undav has missed a sitter from that position !

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
With the non-red card, could it possibly be because they thought the keeper would save it? Does that in some way make it a not-goal-scoring-opportunity if the keeper would clearly have stopped it?

Or was it because it was Brighton at the Amex where red cards for the opposition are illegal?
Just on that have we had any player from either side dismissed at the Amex this season to date….I don’t think so…wonder how many grounds that applies too.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I’m starting to think it’s not actually the ref’s that are useless but more they have been told to completely ignore things.
Every single week and in most games you have players flopping to the floor and feigning injury and the officials do nothing to stop it. It’s is spoiling the game (not just our games)
I'm sure that's the case. The problem arises that on that one occasion in a hundred when a player goes down seemingly feigning serious injury . . . and yet the ref waves play on.

Then all too late it is discovered that he is seriously hurt, cue possible court case . It is a problem though that somehow needs to be overcome.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It doesn’t matter if Raya might’ve saved it. It’s still a mandatory red card offence.

“Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence, the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)”.

Exactly the same as a mandatory red card for bringing someone down bearing in on the goalie.

Aren’t you supposed to be somewhere 😉

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
in my opinion every PL referee is as bad as each other for the way they consistently give cheap free kicks for players going to ground at the slightest bit of bodily contact to break up an attack or flow of the game. It is becoming the biggest disease in the modern game and it is because the refs always give a free kick that players keep doing it ! This could so easily be stopped if the PGMOL wise up to it and stopped giving free kicks like this, players would soon stop it. Players going down now holding their heads is now taking the con to a whole new level. This is the single biggest thing that gets me so wound up at every game I watch.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I think on this point it comes down to semantics. The handball occurred after Undav took the shot, so the opportunity wasn't denied. If he handled the ball and it stopped the ball getting to Undav centre of the goal one yard out, that would be denying the opportunity. So it goes to the bit a couple of words earlier 'denies the opposing team a goal'. On that point it does matter if Raya would save it, because if he was going to save it, the handball didn't deny us a goal.

Forgot to multiquote while catching up:

On the second handball, Oliver was quick to indicate he felt the arms of the defender were by his side/in a natural position, he didn't say the ball didn't hit the arm. VAR would need to show that the arms were nowhere near the defender's sides or a clear movement toward the ball for it to be deemed a clear error.

To the point someone mentioned earlier about him not getting the penalty decision right, he did. It may have taken two attempts, but it's been made clear that the decision following the monitor review is the referee's to make. So it was Oliver that decided to give the penalty (once he had a second look).

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This was Oliver's 11th time refereeing the Albion. We have yet to win when he is in charge.
Is that a fact? No wonder I always think he gives us nothing. He had no intention of giving a blatant penalty until sent to the monitor yesterday and even them it took him an age to spot a nailed on penalty

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here