Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Michael Oliver

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Shocking today, inconsistent, missed a lot of dark arts, missed a lot of time wasting, missed toney’s elbows, failed to play advantage, just utterly clueless.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I rate him normally, but thought he was poor today.

The one I didn’t get was in injury time when he failed to play the advantage, when we were breaking.

Would like to see the second hand ball again.
Yes because while clearly attacking what we really wanted was a free kick for offside bought back halfway into our own half. What a ****.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Thought he was really poor. No two ways about it, he let far too much Time-wasting happen. Fell into the trap of giving extremely soft free kicks all game against both sides. Didn’t let the game flow at all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Looking at the highlights there, I think he doesn’t send him off, because he thinks that Raya may very well save it - this he’s NOT denied a goal.
Ok. Looked deliberate though, and does it have to stop a guaranteed goal?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Seeing it in MOTD, I’m not sure if Gross touched him when he went down to be given the free kick that led to the third goal.
1.png

'Tis but a scratch'

:ROFLMAO:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Three major gripes with Oliver today.

1) his positioning was awful. Constantly in the way and interferes with play a lot. Three passes deflected off him today.

2) The inconsistency with the advantage rule. Got it incorrect to Brighton’s disadvantage twice IMO

Which also not helped by his speed at decision making. Felt he was very slow at giving decisions, which allowed play to continue slightly when a foul was obvious, which essentially allowed Brentford to waste additional time. In one incident he went to talk to a Brighton player for a Brentford freekick which Raya spotted, and just booted the ball to no man’s land knowing he’d likely be asked to take it again as the ref wasn’t watching.

I know allowing play to continue a little is also for seeing if any advantage can be gained, but he was slow for generic decisions were no immediate advantage play could be gained.

3) he booked the Brentford player following the VAR review for the penalty. Correct me
If I’m wrong, but refs are not meant to book players following VAR reviews unless it’s for correcting mistaken identity. But to give a yellow and penalty indicates he thinks it’s hand ball and thus denying a goal scoring opportunity (Undav shot on target in the 6 yard box) which is a red.

I’m more annoyed at VAR today. It’s a clear error for the first penalty incident which was eventually overturned, but it was a clear error that should have skipped the monitor process and also send the Brentford error. The second penalty incident looked a lot closer on the MOTD highlights. In real time the ref immediately pointed for a corner and it seemed by Oliver’s actions that no check happened / was complete. Surely it was worth further investigation? His arm was fully extended as he starfished himself to block the cross.

VAR also needs updating to correct freekick decisions. Tony dived and IMO Gross made little to no contact. Don’t blame Oliver though as his angle was impaired.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I thought he was really good until the 89th minute. Played advantage well, got everything right and kept a frantic game from boiling over.

He then had two unacceptably poor moments. Firstly, the handball. To not see that was amateurish. A top referee needs to be in a better position for a big moment like that. Thank god for VAR. Secondly, soon after the penalty, he stopped a clear advantage when a Brentford player was offside. We had 4 on 4 and a load of momentum, and he brought it back 40 yards for an offside. Dreadful and not acceptable at this level.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
He seemed to become the boo boy but I thought he was alright. Only the sending off I cam think of. And he was tapping his watch every time they went down so wasn't falling for all that.
He may well have done that , but doubt they actually added that time on for timewasting , The goals , Substitutions and VAR would have amounted to the 9 minutes total added time

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
3) he booked the Brentford player following the VAR review for the penalty. Correct me
If I’m wrong, but refs are not meant to book players following VAR reviews unless it’s for correcting mistaken identity. But to give a yellow and penalty indicates he thinks it’s hand ball and thus denying a goal scoring opportunity (Undav shot on target in the 6 yard box) which is a red.
I’m afraid you’re wrong. VAR looks at goals, penalties, direct red cards and mistaken identity. If any of those decisions are deemed “errors” then the correct punishment can be given after a VAR review. For example, a red card can be overturned and downgraded to a yellow and a penalty can result in a yellow. Whereas a foul where the referee should have given a yellow for cannot be upgraded to a second yellow because it doesn’t fit one of the 4 criteria for revisions.

The only logical explanation for the yellow however is that he feels it wasn’t a DOGSO but instead a deliberate handball. If Oliver felt that there was enough evidence to say that it wasn’t an obvious goal scoring opportunity but “a promising attack” he will have got that correct. If that’s the case, he’ll feel he got it spot on. I’m not sure he got it right though, it seems a real stretch to say that the shot wasn’t a clear opportunity to score.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
He was terrible. I cannot believe the amount of posters defending such a poor officiating performance. I am sick and tired of the low standard of refereeing in this league. Oliver is meant to be one of the good ones yet he allowed himself to be hoodwinked by the play acting of Brentford time and time again. I hate criticising refs, but every week we get another masterclass in one eyed buffoonery from the man in the middle.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
If anyone thinks the second penalty shout is a pen then you really don’t know football , if that’s given we all might as well pack up and go home

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here