message to reading fans

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
Ours was 60,855 v Swansea, also in 1949, but I don't like to brag..... [/B][/QUOTE]

Not suprising concidering Swansea are pikeys and you couldn't get any fans to pay on the gate, so you all rioted and got in for free.

Cookie

Oct 6, 2003
North Berks
eiregull
We all know mate.

Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with

Oct 5, 2003
Captain Sensible said:
Message to Reading. Your club is boring. We've had more entertainment in the last 8 years than your club has had in its entire existance. You are boring, You are nothing, There is no point to Reading fc. Might as well be Slough fc. Readingfc? whats the point?

.....and the point of Brighton FC is?

Nobody outside of the Reading area gives a toss about Reading.
Nobody outside of the Brighton area gives a toss about Brighton. That's the way it is. I've no problem with that, but you seem to think the back page headlines of the Brighton local paper are replicated in the tabloids across the country.

And I wouldn't wish the 'entertainment' you've had in the last 8 years on my worst enemy. I'd rather have our last eight years (even if it includes a relegation, two play-off final defeats, a record home league defeat, having two managers poached, setting a club record 7 consecutive league defeats (and equalling that run 8 games later), a club record 15 consecutive away defeats, a club record 9 consecutive draws to almost blow promotion, and tommy burns spending (wasting) so much money that it caused a raise in the national interest rate) than yours.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Rev Algenon Huffleeligong said:
.....and the point of Brighton FC is? Nobody outside of the Brighton area gives a toss about Brighton.

You're wrong. I do. And Wilts does. As does Watford O. And Whitley Dennis. So that's four of us for starters.....

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
.....and the point of Brighton FC is?

Nobody outside of the Reading area gives a toss about Reading.
Nobody outside of the Brighton area gives a toss about Brighton. That's the way it is. I've no problem with that, but you seem to think the back page headlines of the Brighton local paper are replicated in the tabloids across the country.

And I wouldn't wish the 'entertainment' you've had in the last 8 years on my worst enemy. I'd rather have our last eight years (even if it includes a relegation, two play-off final defeats, a record home league defeat, having two managers poached, setting a club record 7 consecutive league defeats (and equalling that run 8 games later), a club record 15 consecutive away defeats, a club record 9 consecutive draws to almost blow promotion, and tommy burns spending (wasting) so much money that it caused a raise in the national interest rate) than yours.

Nobody outside of Brighton gives a toss about Brighton??
Thats bollox!
I think you'll find Brighton have fans all over the country and abroad. I travel the world as a living and the amount of people i meet in the middle of nowhere that know of Brighton or support them or have seen them play is unbelieveable.
2 weeks ago, in an outside hot sweaty bar in Singapore met a bloke that used to live in Brighton 15 years ago. A chinese guy by the way. He supports brighton and even subscribes to seagullsworld!!??!! As the barman heard us chatting he said something like "ahh yes, they play Man U in Final who was man with white band on head?". He remembers Steve Foster. Bet your life if I said Reading to him, he'd probably say "reading what?"

Last edited:

The Laughing Bluebird said:
36,342 against Fulham, but that was back in Xmas 1958!

Reading's record crowd was 29,134 v Notts County in 1949.

Ours was 60,855 v Swansea, also in 1949, but I don't like to brag.....

Can I just be a touch pedantic here, and point out that Reading's record attendance is actually 33,042 v Brentford in (I think) 1932.

I'm sure you all really wanted to know that.

AJ~

Oct 8, 2003
:nono:

Where is the love?

We're all just football fans at the end of the day. I feel sorry for you that you might be losing your manager, I wish you the best of luck, and hope you go up this year and get your new stadium.

All this slagging off about us (Reading) being nothing, nobody caring about us, etc. blah blah is pointless. As is trying to drag up attendances of the past.

The year is 2003, and quite frankly neither of us are going to be drawing in 40,000 + fans anytime soon. Neither of us are massive clubs either, and you're just fooling yourself to think otherwise. :(

Come on people, spread the footballing love....

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
No f*** off!
Go spread love on your message board. Oh yes thats right. All you Reading lot seem to be on here, your board only has 5 or so members.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
To be frank I doubt there are many Reading fans who don't feel decidedly uneasy about the whole business. We may have gone about it in the proper way rather than the slimy underhand way West Ham conducted themselves, but the end result is still the same. At least you didn't have to put up with media comments about being stupidly stubborn for not wanting our manager to leave, as if losing our manager to glamorous big boys West Ham was some kind of honour, but that's little consolation I'm sure.

As for the 'plastic' comments - well really I'd have hoped you'd have been above that. It's the sort of drivel spouted by teams we used to be on a par with 10 years ago who seem unable to accept we have moved on. Inverse snobbery in its worst form, saying how we should know our place. Mark my words, when Brighton get their stadium, and your crowds shoot up to levels unheard of at the Goldstone for 25 years, you'll get no end of complaints about how crap your new 'soulless' stadium is, and how they remember when you were only getting 5000 at the Goldstone, and how these 10,000 or so new fans will desert you the moment you have a bad season. The fact of the matter is you'll be in Div 1 (probably) pulling in 18,000-20,000 on a typical saturday (all of whom will claim to have been among the 2500 who watched you at Gillingham) and on bad days against unattractive opposition (as in teams, not luke chadwick) crowds will drop to 13,000-14000 and fans will moan that your fans aren't as loyal as they used to be. You will also have a new breed of fan, the type that probably never saw you at the withdean, let alone the Goldstone who'll be convinced that Brighton 'ought' to be in the premiership and you should spend millions to try and get there and slam anyone who says your club can't afford it of lacking ambition.

Welcome to your future.

I think that's the best away post I've ever read on here. Mind you, not hard to outdo Twatty...

AJ~

Oct 8, 2003
Captain Sensible said:
No f*** off!
Go spread love on your message board. Oh yes thats right. All you Reading lot seem to be on here, your board only has 5 or so members.
The Royals.org Forum has 2199 registered members?

All this anger and hate is so unhealthy. We're just two small clubs at the end of the day, both trying to be as successful as possible in a very difficult environment. We're not close rivals, I've absoutely no reason to hate Brighton.

As I said before, I wish you the best of luck this season and hope you go up. I'm sure fans like this guy are in the minority, and most of you are pretty decent chaps.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
New Reading fans are plastic and Brightons will be people that used to go from time to time but can't get into our games.
At the Goldstone the crowd figures given by the club were at least 2-3000 below what they actually were. Anyone remember the 4-4 v Orient. Official figure was 9500. Even the Orient manager Titty Taylor at the time said it was more like 14000.

PLASTIC FANTASTIC!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
AJ~ said:
:nono:

Where is the love?

We're all just football fans at the end of the day. I feel sorry for you that you might be losing your manager, I wish you the best of luck, and hope you go up this year and get your new stadium.

All this slagging off about us (Reading) being nothing, nobody caring about us, etc. blah blah is pointless. As is trying to drag up attendances of the past.

The year is 2003, and quite frankly neither of us are going to be drawing in 40,000 + fans anytime soon. Neither of us are massive clubs either, and you're just fooling yourself to think otherwise. :(

Come on people, spread the footballing love....

I refer the learned gentleman to my post entitled "Is it me?"

This na na na na na na bollocks is a bollockload of bollocks. As AJ says-this is 2003. What crowds each club attracted in 1931 when they were playing in the mud with no floodlights is irrelevant.

This is now. 2003. The Albion (like it or not) do not have the financial clout that RFC do-that's not putting the Albion down but it is a painful truth. For now.

With Falmer we will once again enjoy an income stream and Ecovert can f***ing die for all I care after ripping us off for these last few years.

It's getting to be the on-line equivalent of the school playground on here lately for crying out loud.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Yeah but its fun and people can't stop talking about it. Last week everyone was moaning that NSC was boring and there was nothing to write about and most subjects weren't about football. Give the people a Football thread and now its childish.

Captain Sensible said:
Nobody outside of Brighton gives a toss about Brighton??
Thats bollox!
I think you'll find Brighton have fans all over the country and abroad. I travel the world as a living and the amount of people i meet in the middle of nowhere that know of Brighton or support them or have seen them play is unbelieveable.
2 weeks ago, in an outside hot sweaty bar in Singapore met a bloke that used to live in Brighton 15 years ago. A chinese guy by the way. He supports brighton and even subscribes to seagullsworld!!??!! As the barman heard us chatting he said something like "ahh yes, they play Man U in Final who was man with white band on head?". He remembers Steve Foster. Bet your life if I said Reading to him, he'd probably say "reading what?"

Great stuff, Captain. It'll be "Bigger than Barcelona" next!

You may be as mad as a march hare, but you're still a damn fine punk rock bass player.

Good night.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Respect to ya Dennis, not your fault you support Reading. At least you support your local team. Yeah thanks. But Den, I'm not the real CS. He's a twat and a Palarse fan. see ya!

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Shall we get some Man United or Chelsea fans on NSC? Then they can put both Reading and Brighton in our places.

Incidentally, the new Falmer stadium will be built with the possibility of having extra tiers added if necessary. Top capacity, which probably will never be reached, will be around 60,000.

So Steve Coppell walks. So we get a new manager. So we might lose a few games while he settles in. So we might win all the games and stay top. It's called life. What's the point of belittling Reading. We'll play them again one day, hopefully next season and we'll show Steve Coppell what he walked out on.

And now for something completely different...
Come on England!!!!!

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Oh yeah, in case it wasn't clear, I'm bored of all this Reading, Steve Coppell, my club is bigger than your club stuff. Before this Coppell nonsense and Sidwell defected Reading were just our rivals for the title, just like Chesterfield the year before.

Can't be arsed slagging them off. If Coppell goes, sod 'im.

A Reading FC fan

Oct 5, 2003
yo, fair points.

brighton it seems does have the potential to be bigger. i didn't know that. cool. as i said in my thread which disappeared ( :( ) at the moment we're separated mainly because we happen to have been successful with stadium plans.

as a regular chantboy of elm park i can tell you i cant think of any ground in the country which could beat our passion and intimidation and this was commonly commented on by visiting teams. but then we moved into the soulless madejsi and now things are different. the passion has disappeared and all of a sudden we get random people who give u weird looks when u speak too loudly cos theyve never been to a footy match before. basically i agree with rev - the same thng will happen to you but i hope it doesnt cos footy is about passion, not plastic.

all i can say as ive said before (and i think this echoes the feelings of many other rfc fans) is good luck to the seagulls and im sorry we seem to be screwing you over.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
We're all the spreading the love.

See, there are quality Reading fans out there too. We're a realistic bunch. We have more fans spread over the UK than I have seen from any other Southern team, including those in the Premiership, so I can live with that. Its all up and up for RFC at the moment and we're pleased about it.

I think a lot of this board has deluded people (those I haven't met) who think that all will be fine once Falmer is built, and that there will be loads of fans and loads of money. Its not as simple as that. There will be 12,000 crowds for a while (about right for Div 2 if you're there) and little atmosphere. I don't remember seeing or hearing any Brighton fans chanting at Withdean so I presume you'll have the same problem we have where the away fans are quality but the home fans less so.

Brighton can be every bit as big as Reading, with similar sized places and catchment areas, with success greater than ours, could probably overtake us at some stage. Most of us Reading fans want similar sized clubs like Brighton, Bristol City, etc to catch us up. So we all wish you well, of course we do. If the board doesn't then the fans do.

Anyhow, I don't even reckon Coppell is coming... personal opinion.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
A Reading FC fan said:
yo, fair points.

brighton it seems does have the potential to be bigger. i didn't know that. cool. as i said in my thread which disappeared ( :( ) at the moment we're separated mainly because we happen to have been successful with stadium plans.

as a regular chantboy of elm park i can tell you i cant think of any ground in the country which could beat our passion and intimidation and this was commonly commented on by visiting teams. but then we moved into the soulless madejsi and now things are different. the passion has disappeared and all of a sudden we get random people who give u weird looks when u speak too loudly cos theyve never been to a footy match before. basically i agree with rev - the same thng will happen to you but i hope it doesnt cos footy is about passion, not plastic.

all i can say as ive said before (and i think this echoes the feelings of many other rfc fans) is good luck to the seagulls and im sorry we seem to be screwing you over.

We must all make sure that when we go to falmer that this never happens to us. They need to locate sining sections behind each goal or in one of the main stands, or ideally all 3. We don't want a situation where people that want to scream and shout are sat behind a grandad and his grandaughter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports