Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MEP Nigel farage

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Here's what he says:

... he's a bit down in the dumps after this whole Brexit mess.

If I may add my two cents: I really doubt that many of the 52% who voted leave did so because of Spanish fishermen, French farmers and "financial audits".

What a load of nonsense.....'it's the best we have so get over it and agree to us all becoming one federal state or we're all at war again'? Crikey, not even the remainers would have had the nerve to say anything like that.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
When the Scots voted to stay in the UK, not even the most wildly ambitious Brexiter thought we'd actually vote to come out. I wouldn't have thought it even crossed their minds.

So why did less than 70% of them turn up to vote on EU membership if they are so committed to it?
Does Glasgow get to vote on ceding from Scotland as it voted out of UK but was overruled by the rest of Scotland?
Can Hove and central Brighton leave when we elect Tory governments?

The referendum question for the Scots was "stay or go", not "stay as long as we're in the EU otherwise go".

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So why did less than 70% of them turn up to vote on EU membership if they are so committed to it?
Does Glasgow get to vote on ceding from Scotland as it voted out of UK but was overruled by the rest of Scotland?
Can Hove and central Brighton leave when we elect Tory governments?

The referendum question for the Scots was "stay or go", not "stay as long as we're in the EU otherwise go".

I repeat, when the Scots voted to remain in the UK, they wouldn't in their wildest dreams have thought we'd come out of the EU. I don't think it's an outrageous question for them to be asking given the result.

Whether it's in their ultimate interests or not is another matter altogether.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I repeat, when the Scots voted to remain in the UK, they wouldn't in their wildest dreams have thought we'd come out of the EU. I don't think it's an outrageous question for them to be asking given the result.

'Leave' was always a strong option in a referendum - which is why governments don't like giving them unless they can be sure of the result. Cameron's mistake (and why he will ultimately be seen as a weak PM) was to offer something in the belief that the circumstances (an overall Tory majority) would never happen.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
'Leave' was always a strong option in a referendum - which is why governments don't like giving them unless they can be sure of the result. Cameron's mistake (and why he will ultimately be seen as a weak PM) was to offer something in the belief that the circumstances (an overall Tory majority) would never happen.

Well it was clearly a strong option in hindsight!

However, as recently as 2 months ago there were polls giving large leads to remain. I might be wrong but I'm not sure it was even considered as part of the Scots decision making process. We can argue whether that was wise or not until the cows come home.....

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Well it was clearly a strong option in hindsight!

However, as recently as 2 months ago there were polls giving large leads to remain. I might be wrong but I'm not sure it was even considered as part of the Scots decision making process. We can argue whether that was wise or not until the cows come home.....

When the independence vote was taken I don't think Cameron had promised the referendum if they won. But UKIP were definitely very strongly supported and the likelihood was that they would be the deciding factor in a hung parliament. That didn't happen but it led to the promised referendum. All of this should have been in the minds of those voting for independence. The idea of applying to join the EU (and the Spanish refusal) was certainly discussed.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)

But imperfect knowledge of the future is a fact of life - and of elections. They voted to retain a say in the future of the U.K., and by a very sizeable margin. The fact that the future looks different to what they thought it was is no reason to cry foul now.
Anyway there's not really a great deal of evidence that I've seen that the Scots or the northern Irish actively like being in Europe. The sham is being played out predominantly from anti-English feelings rather than truly pro-European ones IMHO.
In a way they're going to replicate what would have happened if they voted out of UK anyway, but with a stronger negotiating position backed by the English demand for EU goods and retention of the Barnett formula for good measure. They would never have been accepted into EU on their own - Germany doesn't have the cash to bail out yet another pauper state, particularly one that hasn't got a currency, a credit rating or a central bank, even if it is a tiny one.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
You and your German mate are talking utter nonsense!!!

Perhaps we are, only time will tell.

However, Billy, as I am a bit of a gambling man (one has one's weaknesses) I propose a bet:

If in one year after the actual Brexit (formal leaving the EU) the UK is better off economically (faster GDP growth, stronger pound in relation to euro, lower unemployment, more exports etc.) than it is today, then you win the bet and I shall send you a crate of best Polish vodka. If the opposite happens, then I win and you will find this thread, quote this post, and write three words "I was wrong". Sounds fair, doesn't it?

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
However, Billy, as I am a bit of a gambling man (one has one's weaknesses) I propose a bet:

If in one year after the actual Brexit (formal leaving the EU) the UK is better off economically (faster GDP growth, stronger pound in relation to euro, lower unemployment, more exports etc.) than it is today, then you win the bet and I shall send you a crate of best Polish vodka. If the opposite happens, then I win and you will find this thread, quote this post, and write three words "I was wrong". Sounds fair, doesn't it?
Can I jump in on that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here