Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MEP Nigel farage

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The logic is based on the real world of the entirely legitimate concerns of the UK population expressed through the ballot box and polling evidence. He was never going to be in a position to form an alternative government or propose policies guaranteed to be enacted so why would you expect this to be the case?

The (dubious) ... ( cop out) joy of being on the left of politics is assuming a majority agree with or will soon agree with your pov ..... which is constantly disproved by reality/numerous elections.

He should have been in a position to propose what these policies should be, he had enough time to think about them. I am on the left (a pragmatist not an extremist) but I do not think for a minute that we have majority support or, at present, a clear position that deserves one but it is a much harder argument to get across than looking for scapegoats. However my points here have not been about the merits of a left or right (leave or remain) argument but about Farage's position and I struggle to have any respect for it. I have felt the same about left wing campaigners that focus on what they are against and not what they are for.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
He should have been in a position to propose what these policies should be, he had enough time to think about them. I am on the left (a pragmatist not an extremist) but I do not think for a minute that we have majority support or, at present, a clear position that deserves one but it is a much harder argument to get across than looking for scapegoats. However my points here have not been about the merits of a left or right (leave or remain) argument but about Farage's position and I struggle to have any respect for it. I have felt the same about left wing campaigners that focus on what they are against and not what they are for.
If he did as you suggest and started proposing this and that policy regarding how things would shape up, he would be derided. Most opponents of UKIP would be outraged as he clearly wouldn't have a democratic mandate for such a position and would rightly call for him to back off. Those who supported him would for the most part think he was overstepping the mark. You may think he should have a plan, and indeed be involved with implementing it, but you opinion does not give him a democratic mandate to act in this way. This is how democracy works.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He should have been in a position to propose what these policies should be, he had enough time to think about them.

No he shouldn't. He was leading a pressure group, not a power-seeking political party. You really need to understand that simple fact.

Did the French revolutionaries in 1789 have a ten year economic growth plan and as clear set of targets to be met on an annual basis? No, they didn't. Did the Bolsheviks in 1917? No. Or the Americans in the 18th. century? Or Ghandi? Or Nelson Mandela No - they all had one aim. To free their people from a place they didn't want to be in. The details of how it works out after that is a job for others - thankfully we're doing Brexit without the bloodshed that many previous freedom campaigns have had to go through.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That would be the Conservative party, no?

You have me check mate there- for any contrary reply means I have to defend them.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don't think so. Some of the far right have been given a legitimate back stage role in a homogeneous and slightly sanitised political grouping.

You don't change people by re-ordering the political framework of society. You do give them legitimacy by playing the apologist through indifference to their re-worked rhetoric- which UKIP is most guilty of.

Far from being emasculated the far right is most healthy and gaining in strength.

Intolerant elitist garbage ... legitimacy for an alternative pov that it is incomprehensible to the ideological intolerant extreme left which you may surprisingly .. sadly belong to.

The views of Front National in France and other European extremists is not the same as UKIP despite your leftist extremist interpretations to suggest otherwise.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
No he shouldn't. He was leading a pressure group, not a power-seeking political party. You really need to understand that simple fact.

Did the French revolutionaries in 1789 have a ten year economic growth plan and as clear set of targets to be met on an annual basis? No, they didn't. Did the Bolsheviks in 1917? No. Or the Americans in the 18th. century? Or Ghandi? Or Nelson Mandela No - they all had one aim. To free their people from a place they didn't want to be in. The details of how it works out after that is a job for others - thankfully we're doing Brexit without the bloodshed that many previous freedom campaigns have had to go through.

A very disparate set of examples; some took power, some used their influence to help ease the transition; some sought election. I am not sure how many just cleared off. I am thankful that there has been no bloodshed but I am not sure that Farage played any role in that being the case. I just don't get why he is being deified by the Leave supporters; he is letting you down more than anyone else. However I guess this is something about which we will never agree.

Does this mean that if we ever debate the House of Lords or Monarchy in future all us lefties needs to do is to point out the flaws without the need to propose alternatives? Hope so, as it will be so much easier.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Does this mean that if we ever debate the House of Lords or Monarchy in future all us lefties needs to do is to point out the flaws without the need to propose alternatives? Hope so, as it will be so much easier.
'Us lefties'? - a very interesting concept. What many from the remain campaign still cannot grasp is that massed ranks of 'us lefties', core Labour voters in labour heartlands actually switched to UKIP - just temporarily, we hope - and also voted in large numbers for leave.

The Labour Part is particularly inept here - while faffing about trying to oust Corbyn - or trying to re-introduce Militant Tendency under another name - depending on which side they're on, they're making themselves unelectable. What they ought to be doing is to realise that the Executive Committee has got out of touch with many of the ordinary party members, and the union bosses who bank roll Labour haven't got a clue (and don't really care) what their rank and file feel. Labour now needs to come out and say, OK, we didn't want Brexit, but now it has been democratically decided, we'll fully embrace it and work to make the UK a better place, under a Labour government, outside the EU. Might just be a better vote winner than the road they're stumbling down now.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
'Us lefties'? - a very interesting concept. What many from the remain campaign still cannot grasp is that massed ranks of 'us lefties', core Labour voters in labour heartlands actually switched to UKIP - just temporarily, we hope - and also voted in large numbers for leave.

The Labour Part is particularly inept here - while faffing about trying to oust Corbyn - or trying to re-introduce Militant Tendency under another name - depending on which side they're on, they're making themselves unelectable. What they ought to be doing is to realise that the Executive Committee has got out of touch with many of the ordinary party members, and the union bosses who bank roll Labour haven't got a clue (and don't really care) what their rank and file feel. Labour now needs to come out and say, OK, we didn't want Brexit, but now it has been democratically decided, we'll fully embrace it and work to make the UK a better place, under a Labour government, outside the EU. Might just be a better vote winner than the road they're stumbling down now.
I used the examples of The House of Lords and Monarchy as they are issues where fit is much easier to identify their failings than identify alternatives not because I see them as any kind of priority. Regarding the Labour Party I am a member and I agree that the party needs to look very carefully at what it stands for as we have lost touch with many traditional supporters.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm starting to see now that by taking us out of Europe, Nige is giving people the opportunity to build something better.

Bit like Archer selling off the Goldstone ground to give us the opportunity to build something better ???

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm starting to see now that by taking us out of Europe, Nige is giving people the opportunity to build something better.

Bit like Archer selling off the Goldstone ground to give us the opportunity to build something better ???

Well we did build something better and we are in a better position than ever. Time will tell if the uk makes the best of said opportunity.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

Think you need to understand what the definition of a Pressure Group is.

"an interest group organized to influence public and especially government policy but not to elect candidates to office"
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pressure group

UKIP has always been a political party since its foundation in 1993 as its purpose was to run candidates in elections.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Think you need to understand what the definition of a Pressure Group is.

"an interest group organized to influence public and especially government policy but not to elect candidates to office"
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pressure group

UKIP has always been a political party since its foundation in 1993 as its purpose was to run candidates in elections.
One dictionary's rather casual definition. I'm fully aware of what makes a pressure group, thank you - and running candidates in elections is a perfectly valid tool towards achieving their aims. UKIP has been very successful as a pressure group in using this tactic.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
One dictionary's rather casual definition. I'm fully aware of what makes a pressure group, thank you - and running candidates in elections is a perfectly valid tool towards achieving their aims. UKIP has been very successful as a pressure group in using this tactic.

A dictionary which happens to be a very respected publication of the English language, I think they know a bit more than you. You'll find that definition in most standard Political Dictionaries too where you might want to look up the meaning of single issue political party which is what the Anti-Federalist League set up as way back in 1991 prior to evolving into UKIP. Since Farage became leader a decade ago their manifesto has included a number of other non-EU policies such as health and education, unless of course you're going to tell me these are just a sham that didn't mean anything.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What's Nigel Farage doing growing a moustache and appearing on television stations funded by the Russian government anyway? I thought he wanted his life back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here