[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This, crazy how many "I told you so" nut jobs are out all proclaiming they know best....

Yes Sanchez had a good game, let us see over a run of games, before we make a fair comparison, all players go through a dip in form.
To cast out and casticate players seems a little rash, they don't go out onto the field to play shite on purpose.
They are all professionals and a damn site better than you or me and a great percentage of professional players throughout the world. Ryan is not shit.
He plays in the toughest league probably in the world, he has been a legend here, I would never take back him running the length of the pitch to celebrate with team mates, that is pure class and everything you want from a keeper in commitment, sadly time will tell if he is surplus to requirements, it will be a sad day, but come on folks he is not shit...

Absolutely this, obviously. Sanchez played well in the last EPL game against Fulham. Ryan played well in the last World Cup and - given proper protection - remains a solid gold asset to the Albion.

Same level of gormless revisionism at play here that forced Ashley Barnes out of the club. Barnes would 'of' got that one that scudded across the goalmouth last night btw

:goal:

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
This, crazy how many "I told you so" nut jobs are out all proclaiming they know best....

Yes Sanchez had a good game, let us see over a run of games, before we make a fair comparison, all players go through a dip in form.
To cast out and casticate players seems a little rash, they don't go out onto the field to play shite on purpose.
They are all professionals and a damn site better than you or me and a great percentage of professional players throughout the world. Ryan is not shit.
He plays in the toughest league probably in the world, he has been a legend here, I would never take back him running the length of the pitch to celebrate with team mates, that is pure class and everything you want from a keeper in commitment, sadly time will tell if he is surplus to requirements, it will be a sad day, but come on folks he is not shit...

100%. Sanchez played well last night and against Tottenham, but has not really come under serious pressure.
Ryan has been playing under pressure for 3 seasons its got to grind you down, and he will know that the mood amongst the fan base has turned which cant help.
He has needed taking out of the firing line but I think he will come back stronger.

Sanchez deserves a run of games, but he will get the same stick if he starts making mistakes.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We can all do that one. Doesn't really add much to the debate tho eh? :shrug:

What debate? I explained it very precisely: I thought Potter would stick with Ryan but that I personally would have preferred to have him benched and you were apparently unable to grasp what I told you. Its no more than that. Not a debate.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
How do we know that there's nothing going on in Matty's private life which is affecting his performance?

You don't go from great to out of sorts over night.

I think the bloke is great and don't deserve half the shit he gets on this board, yet people want him gone without a second thought. Clueless.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
How do we know that there's nothing going on in Matty's private life which is affecting his performance?

I think the bloke is great and don't deserve half the shit he gets on this board, yet people want him gone without a second thought. Clueless.

Its the Brighton way. We hounded Barnes and Stephens while they were here doing their best, and now its Maty's turn.

He has been dropped so I'm guessing from what I've seen it is going to be Welbeck, Maupay or Trossard next.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

No thats pure theatre not pure class. I like Ryan but using his goal celebration as a reason to keep him is stretching it a little!

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I wouldn’t be surprised if Ryan has played his last game for the club.

I wonder if we will be back in for that Turkish keeper (Cakir?) in January.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Every players form peaks and dips for all sorts of reasons, I don't think anyone sensible has suggested MR is crap, just had a dip in form. a few weeks/month whatever to train hard and find his mojo, and give Sanchez a chance to bed his PL gloves in is a good thing. 2PL keepers with big game experience is a positive asset.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
No thats pure theatre not pure class. I like Ryan but using his goal celebration as a reason to keep him is stretching it a little!

Nope, I suggested he showed passion and clearly loves it here, that goes along way in team harmony. I did not suggest that is the reason to keep him, just an attribute he has. I wonder why people always seem to look for a narrative that was never suggested, maybe it is what people do now.

It could be I put my point of view over not very well, did I suggest that ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I wouldn’t be surprised if Ryan has played his last game for the club.

I wonder if we will be back in for that Turkish keeper (Cakir?) in January.

Whatever makes you think he has played his last game for the club? That seems to be a gross over reaction to him being dropped for lasts night game. Every player, quite rightly, if they suffer a dip in form risks being left out of the team.

Maty Ryan is a good goalkeeper, though l have to say not a great one, as some others on here have suggested. It is an opportunity too for his understudies to get some game time, so l really don't see that as a bad thing.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Ryan has been crap for about 2 seasons now. He was never right after he came back from the middle East and then came straight back into the team to let in 4 against Fulham.

He's done incredibly well to get 3.5 seasons out of the club and a few Milly.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Whatever makes you think he has played his last game for the club? That seems to be a gross over reaction to him being dropped for lasts night game. Every player, quite rightly, if they suffer a dip in form risks being left out of the team.

Maty Ryan is a good goalkeeper, though l have to say not a great one, as some others on here have suggested. It is an opportunity too for his understudies to get some game time, so l really don't see that as a bad thing.

I said I wouldn’t be surprised. Different from saying he SHOULD have played his last game for the club.

There were plenty of rumours in the summer that Ryan was looking for a way out and we were linked with other keepers. If Sanchez gets a good run in the team now, and Ryan moves on, then he may well have played his last game for the club.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Every players form peaks and dips for all sorts of reasons, I don't think anyone sensible has suggested MR is crap, just had a dip in form. a few weeks/month whatever to train hard and find his mojo, and give Sanchez a chance to bed his PL gloves in is a good thing. 2PL keepers with big game experience is a positive asset.

Ryan has been crap for about 2 seasons now. He was never right after he came back from the middle East and then came straight back into the team to let in 4 against Fulham.

He's done incredibly well to get 3.5 seasons out of the club and a few Milly.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Ahem.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's really interesting. The thing is Maty himself is still young, he's not the old bear batting the young cub down. He's still learning his trade himself at the top level. I agree Sanchez should get a run, just wonder what is going on with Maty in your theory

Sanchez has a comparatively easy run of games to keep the shirt.
Obviously any mistake now could be very very expensive, but like last night they ought not be too taxing.

If he goes from strength to strength then Maty is superfluous and they'll be no point keeping him, as nobody will ever convince me keeper's need competition.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sanchez has a comparatively easy run of games to keep the shirt.
Obviously any mistake now could be very very expensive, but like last night they ought not be too taxing.

If he goes from strength to strength then Maty is superfluous and they'll be no point keeping him, as nobody will ever convince me keeper's need competition.

Hmmm you are presupposing though, that Sanchez will be between the sticks again on Sunday, that may not be the case. Ryan was dropped earlier in the season, but came right back for the very next game.

Let's wait and see.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

For most people 2020 has been an absolute shitter of a year. For someone living 8,000 miles away from close family and presumably unable to
travel and see them as frequently as his lifestyle has previously afforded him must have been quite the struggle for him and therefore it’s natural that one’s mind might wander to thoughts of other priorities.

The fact we were looking at keepers in the summer suggests we either had doubts about his abilities or he has sounded the club out about a move closer to home for some time.

Either way all of the above would be enough to impact on performance in the one position where there is nowhere else to hide when things go wrong.

Doesn’t make me view him in a bad light and I feel some time out of the spotlight is best for all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports