Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think its possible he has played his last game for us

I suspect a new keeper will arrive in Jan

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Pointless question.... Matt Ryan is one reason we are still in the Prem.
He does great saves week after week. No point nit picking when we concede..

Where are all the fanboys now? The ones who said we couldn’t do better than Matty? Who called us not being good fans for daring to criticise?

Well I have one word for you.

SANCHEZ [emoji123]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Where are all the fanboys now? The ones who said we couldn’t do better than Matty? Who called us not being good fans for daring to criticise?

SANCHEZ [emoji123]

You had better hope Sanchez doesn’t let in a howler against Sheffield. Far too early to be so smug imo and I wanted Ryan replaced :shrug:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed. Sanchez hasn't had to much to do in either of his games. I'd be keen to see him facing a few more corners, few more shots.

He got a bit lucky with the one yesterday when he went the wrong way, but hit his legs. Although I'm convinced the double save in the second half, would have gone in with Ryan in goal

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed. Sanchez hasn't had to much to do in either of his games. I'd be keen to see him facing a few more corners, few more shots.

He got a bit lucky with the one yesterday when he went the wrong way, but hit his legs. Although I'm convinced the double save in the second half, would have gone in with Ryan in goal
No chance.

That close in third ball stuff is where Ryan is blooming good.

As said on Bitchin Around Ryan thread #26.

RL-C would have smashed his chance into the top corner, if he was bearing down on Ryan.

Those of us with one agenda will say "presence'.
Those of us with another will say 'thats why he's playing for Fulham'.

But we'll never know.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wouldn't be in the least surprised if Maty just thought enough is enough and told his representative to seek out an opportunity in China a la Mooy. Far easier commute to play for the national team, another decent payday, slightly lower level of challenge. Europe? Been there. Done that. Secured financial future. Fantastic memories.

Wishing Maty all good things for the future, whatever he decides to do. He's a top professional and a real good guy. We've been lucky to have him

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You had better hope Sanchez doesn’t let in a howler against Sheffield. Far too early to be so smug imo and I wanted Ryan replaced :shrug:

I’m half joking of course.. but genuinely delighted that Sanchez got another chance, he performed and got a clean sheet.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I think the first one goes in as well, the ball would've cleared Maty's tiny legs by a number of inches.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Amazing! So stopping the ball going into the back of the net on most occasions when there is a shot on target is no longer a priority ................ okey doke, whatever! Thankfully Sanchez appears to be able to play without bouncing the ball up to the edge of the penalty area and booting it as far as possible!

Christ, talk about unnecessary tone.

Having a 'shot-stopper' clearly isn't the priority for a lot of teams, and clearly it wasn't for us until Ryan's poor shot-stopping became too much of an issue and outweighed the positives he brings to the team- we wouldn't have bloody signed him in the first place if our focus was on him saving shots over his ability to play as a sweeper. Having a keeper like Sanchez over a keeper like Ryan undoubtedly means changing the system. I didn't say that's a bad thing, just that it means we have to change the way we play. You've probably just had a few too many at this point and read what you wanted to read in order to feel justified in doing a bizarre rant about something I said a month ago.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m half joking of course.. but genuinely delighted that Sanchez got another chance, he performed and got a clean sheet.

I felt so much more confident with him in goal, I was accepting of a defeat if Ryan had played, that is how shot my faith is in him. Sad to say I won’t care if he never plays for us again :down: which is not a nice thing to say about a player who has been great for us in the past

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

SANCHEZ [emoji123]

It's far too early to say that. However, I can't help thinking Sanchez saved us two points last night. In the same way Areola did for them.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I like Ryan, but I also like healthy competition in all positions including goalkeeper. What I find interesting is the utter lack of faith in Steele (who did well in the League Cup) and Button before him. Sanchez went from third choice to #1, much like the situation with Adrián/Kelleher at Liverpool.

If Sanchez was so incredible in training/behind the scenes why wasn't he on the bench for Ryan? Seems very odd.

Sanchez did well again though and looked solid all round.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

EMBARRASSING :tosser:

And some.
Writing that twaddle still proves he's not read a single word written by a 'fanboy'.

So sad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I like Ryan, but I also like healthy competition in all positions including goalkeeper. What I find interesting is the utter lack of faith in Steele (who did well in the League Cup) and Button before him. Sanchez went from third choice to #1, much like the situation with Adrián/Kelleher at Liverpool.

If Sanchez was so incredible in training/behind the scenes why wasn't he on the bench for Ryan? Seems very odd.

Sanchez did well again though and looked solid all round.
Maybe it was a case of keeping them apart to take some pressure off Ryan.
It might me easier for #1 warming up etc with someone who isn't a threat to the position.

Fingers crossed Sanchez had 'further to go', what with him being a young upstart.

Always felt Ryan was good enough to be 'midtable' and he might have been, in such a tight league, had the other end been better.

Maybe Sanchez is a player capable of kicking on again, assuming we ever get to the dizzying heights of 10th, 11th or 12th.

Be nice if he was, would certainly save Tony £20m+

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well that's a change of tune considering yesterday you said you doubted Ryan would be dropped at Fulham.

Now, with the benefit of hindsight, it's the perfect decision from Potter and "Ryan is probably done". :mad:

It's a long peddle back from that one for the boy [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] :lol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's a long peddle back from that one for the boy [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] :lol:

It goes beyond your ability, but I'm able to have two thoughts in my head at the same time: believing that Ryan would continue to get the chance while hoping for someone else.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Maybe it was a case of keeping them apart to take some pressure off Ryan.
It might me easier for #1 warming up etc with someone who isn't a threat to the position.

Fingers crossed Sanchez had 'further to go', what with him being a young upstart.

Always felt Ryan was good enough to be 'midtable' and he might have been, in such a tight league, had the other end been better.

Maybe Sanchez is a player capable of kicking on again, assuming we ever get to the dizzying heights of 10th, 11th or 12th.

Be nice if he was, would certainly save Tony £20m+

That's really interesting. The thing is Maty himself is still young, he's not the old bear batting the young cub down. He's still learning his trade himself at the top level. I agree Sanchez should get a run, just wonder what is going on with Maty in your theory

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A long way to go before we can judge anything.

But Sanchez has earned the right to have a run of games.

This, crazy how many "I told you so" nut jobs are out all proclaiming they know best....

Yes Sanchez had a good game, let us see over a run of games, before we make a fair comparison, all players go through a dip in form.
To cast out and casticate players seems a little rash, they don't go out onto the field to play shite on purpose.
They are all professionals and a damn site better than you or me and a great percentage of professional players throughout the world. Ryan is not shit.
He plays in the toughest league probably in the world, he has been a legend here, I would never take back him running the length of the pitch to celebrate with team mates, that is pure class and everything you want from a keeper in commitment, sadly time will tell if he is surplus to requirements, it will be a sad day, but come on folks he is not shit...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports