Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Ryan - SIGNED FOR CLUB RECORD TRANSFER FEE

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If he was taller, he'd have caught it, sprung to his feet and quickly sent us away on a counter-attack.

As it was, he barely touched it, was lucky to see it rebound off the bar and then he conceded a corner.

Ryan out.

Has [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] hacked your account?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How does that taint it? If he played less passes his % would still be the same!? Even then his long ball pass % is the highest. What do people want? Him not to make ANY passes?

Oh you're preaching to (I would say converted) but loyal fan would be more accurate.

Nevertheless his overall number is boosted by the little stuff.

Pickford's distribution is almost the exact opposite, I'm suggesting his numbers would be higher if he were playing for us (shudder!)

Pope's 800 long kicks. :ohmy:

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
13 inaccurate short passes are potentially 13 goals let in. If the plan is to distribute short from the goalie, then you have to get it right every time.

nobody gets it right all the time when you play that kind of football, not even Liverpool or city (arsenal's second goal vs liverpool the other night a prime example).
perhaps we are over-relying on short passes somewhat, that's an entirely different debate, but I don't think people can blame Ryan for having a few stray passes when he plays over 100 more short passes than the next keeper down. it's all relative. now, this is obviously a hallmark of the potter style, but may well be tweaked as potter smooths out just how he wants us to play.
for what it's worth, my biggest problem with Ryan (who I believe is a top 10 keeper who went through a dip in form) is his handling from crosses, he's liable to the odd 'spill', shall we say.
but again, there's nothing here for much concern imo.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Not sure if it has been explored yet, but does he have an issue to his left hand side? Even last night's amazing save was his right hand coming across. He seems vulnerable to shots low to his left. Might just be me seeing what I want to in order to support a theory.

Just look at the goals conceded this season, and you'll have your answer. If the shot is on target to his left, there's a good chance it's going in. It was a good save last night to his left but as you rightly say, it was with his right hand. To me, that suggests it wasn't as tough as it's being made out to have been as he had the time to twist his body to try and get there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just look at the goals conceded this season, and you'll have your answer. If the shot is on target to his left, there's a good chance it's going in. It was a good save last night to his left but as you rightly say, it was with his right hand. To me, that suggests it wasn't as tough as it's being made out to have been as he had the time to twist his body to try and get there.

I'm not entirely sure today is the day for this.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Just giving an honest opinion. If Che Adams had scored from the blunder last night, the conversation would be very different today and that's the fine line between success and failure. For the benefit of fully articulating my opinion on Ryan, he's the best we have right now. But it wouldn't be a big surprise to me if we sign an alternative this summer.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s all about opinions... but I am absolutely baffled if anyone can’t see how key Maty is to us, how good he is and how much he cares - genuinely cares. There are so many positions we need to potentially improve on - GK Is not one. Dunk - Maupay - Ryan are the only 3 who should be automatically on the team sheet for me 100%.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s all about opinions... but I am absolutely baffled if anyone can’t see how key Maty is to us, how good he is and how much he cares - genuinely cares. There are so many positions we need to potentially improve on - GK Is not one. Dunk - Maupay - Ryan are the only 3 who should be automatically on the team sheet for me 100%.
With the exception of Barrow Boy you might have to wait a little while longer to get a further explanation.

In fairness to [MENTION=17389]DarrenFreemansPerm[/MENTION] when we did discuss Ryan, properly without other agendas chipping in, I felt he put too much emphasis on the then lack of 'worldies", while he thought I overplayed the reflex stuff.
But I think the middle ground was there are so many positions we need to potentially improve on - GK Is not one of them.

I'd add Webster to the trio of undroppables.

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

It would indeed have been a tougher save if he'd taken the time to do a triple salko and saved it with the big toe on his LEFT foot, which is of course further away from that upper corner of the goal...Ryan, eh, always taking the easy option, the slacker

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
With the exception of Barrow Boy you might have to wait a little while longer to get a further explanation.

In fairness to [MENTION=17389]DarrenFreemansPerm[/MENTION] when we did discuss Ryan, properly without other agendas chipping in, I felt he put too much emphasis on the then lack of 'worldies", while he thought I overplayed the reflex stuff.
But I think the middle ground was there are so many positions we need to potentially improve on - GK Is not one of them.

I'd add Webster to the trio of undroppables.
Having watched the Southampton game I’m sill undecided about Ryan, not that it matters of course. He’s had two and a half good seasons for us but has been off the boil in the second half of this season, but he’s definitely had a confidence knock or something in recent games. THAT SAVE against Southampton was incredible, proper world class stuff, but it’s the dropping and fumbling of shots/crosses straight at him that alarms me. Watching him talking to himself, shaking his head, slapping his hands together in frustration, it’s like he’s got the yips and doesn’t know how to sort it out. Possibly I’ve been a victim of living in the present, and I’ve magnified Ryan’s mistakes, but be assured I was absolutely delighted for him when he made that save.
Ultimately, could he be upgraded? Yes. But with a bit of an off season and time to clear his head, is he still good enough to be our number 1? Yes, absolutely.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having watched the Southampton game I’m sill undecided about Ryan, not that it matters of course. He’s had two and a half good seasons for us but has been off the boil in the second half of this season, but he’s definitely had a confidence knock or something in recent games. THAT SAVE against Southampton was incredible, proper world class stuff, but it’s the dropping and fumbling of shots/crosses straight at him that alarms me. Watching him talking to himself, shaking his head, slapping his hands together in frustration, it’s like he’s got the yips and doesn’t know how to sort it out. Possibly I’ve been a victim of living in the present, and I’ve magnified Ryan’s mistakes, but be assured I was absolutely delighted for him when he made that save.
Ultimately, could he be upgraded? Yes. But with a bit of an off season and time to clear his head, is he still good enough to be our number 1? Yes, absolutely.

Something we haven't touched on, but reading that you've instantly bought to my mind:-

I'll Eden a guess that with not much happening at the other end, the precarious position the team were in and the appalling pre-lockdown record, Maty was feeling under immense pressure to keep a clean sheet and earn the team a point.

Much like many of the team, Propper, Mooy, Trossard and Biss instantly spring to mind, the 'freedom' of a mythical 2 goal lead would do wonders for their all round play.

Maybe, if he's not injured, we'll get a more relaxed Ryan for the last two games.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The fact is if he was a bit taller he would have caught it and not given away a corner

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why Ryan saved and Kepa didn't:-

[tweet]1284911853022388226[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was just having a rummage around looking for some Solly March magnificence.
Naturally I went to West Ham away, but of his superb 20 minute cameo (word up) they only showed his last free kick.

I was going to leave it there until it occurred to me:-

Perhaps some on NSC would have a higher opinion of Ryan if the defenders in front could hold a STRAIGHT line and stop shooting past him.

The little fella was robbed of another clean sheet by his own teammates.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another Albion 'own goal' for Maty to pick out of the net.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here