Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Ryan - SIGNED FOR CLUB RECORD TRANSFER FEE

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
the threads lately questioning our need for a keeper have been comical.

Way down the list of things we need.

If you had 11 payers on the pitch the standard of Matt Ryan ( in their respective positions ) , we'd be top half easily

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
His kicking is piss poor. How many times did he kick the ball direct into touch or onto the head of a Saints player? This is a regular feature of his game.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He's too short. He'll never save that.:lolol:

If he was taller, he'd have caught it, sprung to his feet and quickly sent us away on a counter-attack.

As it was, he barely touched it, was lucky to see it rebound off the bar and then he conceded a corner.

Ryan out.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
His kicking is piss poor. How many times did he kick the ball direct into touch or onto the head of a Saints player? This is a regular feature of his game.

Really?

Ryan kicking.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
LOL

Even the best player in the world won't have a 100% pass accuracy.

IF he did.
&
IF he played for the Albion

He'd still have calls to 'get rid'.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Just to show what stats can do:-

Playing a short pass 62% of the time. That's significantly higher than any other keeper on the list. 658 short passes is the highest by some way; Tim Kruul is second with the same accuracy rate as Maty.

So what do the stats tell me? We are over-doing the short passes. I get what dejavuatbtn is trying to say.

Maty 658 passes (98% success) - inaccurate passes = 13

Nick Pope 86 passes (98% success) - inaccurate passes = <2

If you have the same success % then you will have less unsuccessful passes (presenting opportunity to opponent) the fewer times you use the short pass.

So this supports what I've said before:-

1) Have more variety; don't keep doing the short tappy every time (to be fair we appeared to play more long balls last night)
2) Use it even less against sides that you know are going to press high (eg United, Liverpool, City)

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I like Mat Ryan. I like his attitude on and off the pitch and his obvious love for the Albion. Like most players he has his flaws and I feel he would improve if he had some decent competition for the keepers shirt.

I do think that this season he has made more errors than in previous ones but keepers errors always show up more than outfield players. The Albion must look to improve in all positions on the field and I am sure Ryan knows this.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Not sure if it has been explored yet, but does he have an issue to his left hand side? Even last night's amazing save was his right hand coming across. He seems vulnerable to shots low to his left. Might just be me seeing what I want to in order to support a theory.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Not sure if it has been explored yet, but does he have an issue to his left hand side? Even last night's amazing save was his right hand coming across. He seems vulnerable to shots low to his left. Might just be me seeing what I want to in order to support a theory.

Have you unraveled the reason who we’ve been playing 6’7 Burn at left back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It's too small.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This really should shut up the passing moaners. His passing stats are some of the best out there. The simple fact is most other keepers would be "giving the ball away" much more.

As said, his pass rating is tainted by 600+ 2 yard taps to Webster and Dunk.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade

I don't know if there is any weakness but for the save last night, he used the correct hand. As a general rule, you use your "top hand" to make any save above the head.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here