Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin Keown

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Keown was retained in the home league match in the number 9 shirt and scored again. Unfortunately, we lost 3-5.

To Charlton I believe. I was three months into my first real foray into supporting the Albion and this game sealed it for me. Okay, we lost, but what a game.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
To Charlton I believe. I was three months into my first real foray into supporting the Albion and this game sealed it for me. Okay, we lost, but what a game.

Oops, yes. I left out the opponents - you remember it well - Charlton.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Check out the names on here. Plenty of Brighton legends playing in red that day as well!

Saturday 19th October 1985. Brighton & Hove Albion 3 (1) (Saunders 44, Keown 47, Wilson (pen)78) Charlton Athletic 5 (1) (Curbishley 26 90, Shipley 53, Lee 69, Flanagan 87). Goldstone Ground. Att: 11,543

Brighton: Digweed, Hutchings, Pearce, Wilson, Oliver, O'Reilly, Jacobs, Saunders, Keown, Biley, Mortimer (O'Reagan 70).

Charlton: Johns, Humphrey, Reid, Curbishley, Thompson, Pender, Shipley, Lee, Pearson, Gritt, Flanagan. Unused sub: Stuart.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In October 1985, the absence of Mick Ferguson led to Keown playing in the number 9 shirt in the Full Members' Cup at home to WBA. We lost 2-1.

Later that month, Keown also played as number 9, away at Crystal Palace in the same competition. We won 3-1 and Keown scored. Keown was retained in the home league match in the number 9 shirt and scored again. Unfortunately, we lost 3-5.

In his loan spell, Keown also started other matches in the number 2 shirt.

I'd have played almost anyone up front rather than Ferguson even when he was fit.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
More importantly has he had a hair transplant?

martin-keown-balding-215x300.jpg

keown_1437541a.jpg

Has he had BOTOX :eek:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure how good the memory is but think we could have bought him for about £45k but couldn't afford it. He then went back to Arsenal, played a few games and went to Aston Villa for £200k and then Everton for £750k and eventually back to Arsenal for £2m.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No trolling just pointing out yes it was a good win but they were a very poor side who Brighton should have created more chances than they did agaist

It was because not all Newcastle were bad. Just the Amoebes and the midfield, Williamson kept tabs on Macca for the whole game and did not give him a chance, Santon made life difficult for LuaLua, Perch cleared off the line and Elliott held the Lopez shot better than Ankers would have dealt with it.

The Newcastle defence probably played better than it had at home to Everton and away to Arsenal, both games which I saw on my computer. Williamson is getting slated. I actually thought he was good!

Or should we have scored seven?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'd have played almost anyone up front rather than Ferguson even when he was fit.

Apart from his goal at millwall - the old den, one Tuesday night. There was only about 150 of us there that night....that was a very scary night.

I wonder how many of the 24k people at the Amex against forest were in that crowd that night......... Not having a pop, but It would be interesting how many people in today's crowds remember those heady days when it was actually dangerous to go to some grounds.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Apart from his goal at millwall - the old den, one Tuesday night. There was only about 150 of us there that night....that was a very scary night.

I wonder how many of the 24k people at the Amex against forest were in that crowd that night......... Not having a pop, but It would be interesting how many people in today's crowds remember those heady days when it was actually dangerous to go to some grounds.

We stopped Millwall taking the all-time unbeaten home record that day, something like 50 games. Think it was (may well still be) held by Forest. The natives were not happy! Your memory slipped up in one respect - it was a saturday afternoon game (I've just looked it up to confirm, saturday 14th september 1985).

I was there!

PG

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
In October 1985, the absence of Mick Ferguson led to Keown playing in the number 9 shirt in the Full Members' Cup at home to WBA. We lost 2-1.

Later that month, Keown also played as number 9, away at Crystal Palace in the same competition. We won 3-1 and Keown scored. Keown was retained in the home league match in the number 9 shirt and scored again. Unfortunately, we lost 3-5.

In his loan spell, Keown also started other matches in the number 2 shirt.

Going increasingly off-topic, but I couldn't resist looking up the games around that period (in Tim Carder's book). The crowd at Palace that night was....2,207!!
WBA/Palce and us were in a FMC round-robin group and I suspect WBA had already qualified so the game was irrelevant to the competition.

PG

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
No Brighton fan has yet decided to piss themselves with joy and demand the club bring a DVD out, ammiiright Palace trolls?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
ITV couldn't even be bothered to research the formation we have played in every game this season and just said we were playing 442 with Hanmond right wing.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
No Brighton fan has yet decided to piss themselves with joy and demand the club bring a DVD out, ammiiright Palace trolls?

Won't we be bringing a DVD out as per all home games?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here