Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Lawrenson - the truth will out...

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
MOTD finds it impossible to live in the company of the Sky analysis of Neville and Carragher, but is still useful for tuning into highlights of all the PL game in just 90 minutes. The analysis between games is lazy, predictable, non-controversial and rushed.

You should do what I do.
I never watch MOTD live.

I Sky+ it, watch it half an hour after it starts, fast forward through all the titles, the talk, the analysis and any Pulis interviews ... and just watch the actual football.
It's a great programme!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You should do what I do.
I never watch MOTD live.

I Sky+ it, watch it half an hour after it starts, fast forward through all the titles, the talk, the analysis and any Pulis interviews ... and just watch the actual football.
It's a great programme!

I do a similar thing with FL show, on TV iplayer, simply fast forwarding so I don't watch teams I don't like winning.

With PL I cherry pick highlights watched. Don't get excited by flat track bullies like ManU & Arsenal (in past seasons!) at home beating opponents with a small budget 5-0.

Agree about the Pulis, but also when he was at Stoke RFC. The sight of the baseball cap and his whining about refs not giving them "the rub of the green" zzzzzzz.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I've never quite understood the recent BBC love in with Robbie Savage. The guys a prick. Never rated him as a player, and even less as a pundit. I won't put a game on pre match, will mute at HT and turn off at the final whistle. Although that said, I watch ITV's coverage on mute. Sky's coverage is palatable

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Any TV company that employs Garth Crooks and Robbie Savage hates football. The BBC has nothing but contempt for football. In fact it hates sport but has to be seen to be trying. It much prefers to spend a fortune on Glyndebourne, The Proms etc. It will not spend our money on sport. They have a bigger budget than Sky but choose not to spend it on sport. *******s!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If there is any of the budget left over after the massive salaries paid to MOTD presenters and pundits, it is spent on gardening, cooking, medical and house purchasing programmes. This manages to fill about 60% of the schedule. Another 20% is swallowed up by numerous programmes about minor celebrities, accompanied by bloated auctioneers visiting retail antique centres, purchasing bric a brac and then bizarrely trying to make a profit at auction. There is a whole slab of budget set aside for a romantic fairytale, supposedly set in East London and employing a vast range of nonentities, all dropping their ' aitches ' and talking in a semi whisper.
Beyond this, 4,762 middle managers, aged between 26-47, earning on average £34,274 per annum and spending their working day in meetings or wandering into reception areas with clipboards under their arm, pretending to look important and pretending to look for someone important, swallow up any remaining funds.
Don't you just love the Beeb?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Never likely to happen but would love to see Virgs on MOTD one day. Even with the blue and white tinted spectacles taken off he is easily one of the best pundits around.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Because, as they'll tell you ad nauseam, they've played the game and we haven't.

"anyone who's played the game will tell you..." :shutup:

You should do what I do.
I never watch MOTD live.

It's a great programme!

Exactly this. Record it, and start watching at about 11.00pm. FF most of the interviews, and all of the 'expert analysis'. There's a dubious penalty shout in a game. During the actual highlights package they've shown four replays from different angles, and the commentator has given his assesment. You like football yourself as you are watching, so you've probably got your own view, and after all those replays you know whether the ref got it right or not. Without the FF you are subjected to two badly dressed ex-pros showing us all the same angles, stating the blindingly obvious, and repeating the same weekly cliches 'there was definitely contact' / 'his momentum's taken him into the area' / 'he's entitled to go down, there', etc, etc. And then after three minutes of this drivel, one will declare it was a penalty, and the other that it was not. Such insight.

My particular hatred is reserved for this season's new gimmick, of one of the manger interviews not being done by the on-site reporter, but by Lineker over a video link. I properly hate it. I'm not exactly sure why, but it makes me CRINGE so much, that I just can't watch it.

If I've ever misjudged how early to start watching my recording, and I find that my ability to FF Sheraer has run out between the Stoke - Villa game, and the 0-0 between Hull and Swansea, then I am genuinnely annoyed with myself!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Our licence fees pay for

Garth Crooks
Alan Green
Robbie Savage
Mark Lawrenson
Alan Shearer
John Motson
Mark Notso

Facking Hell. There has to be better than that out there.

A pro footballer lived next door to me until recently - I had more insight talking to him about the game for 1/2 hour than all of that lot have ever managed put together - He'd wipe the floor with that lot in terms of analysis. If we have to have an ex pro (and god knows why) then please can we try get some who are worth listening to. Orlandi is another who has proved fotballers aren't all fick. Analysis doesn't have to be, you know, at the end of the day, good performance, a piece of skill has decided this one, all credit to Hull.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Seriously - don't even go there. :angry:

The old boy is so unsure of himself he questions everything. If a centre half goes through 2 footed in the penalty area through a centre forward missing the ball by a country mile he will say something like 'Was there contact? Well, We've seen those given haven't we' He won't 100% commit to anything.

My personal hatred is for Alan Green. Every game he watches he moans about. The referee. The conditions. The game itself. It's a great job commentating on football, I want to have someone who respects that. I also can't stand his cock sure arrogance that he is always right. His insistence that Joe Cole should be playing in the last World cup as an example. He went on and on and on about how cole was in HIS team. Sorry Alan but your opinion counts for nothing even if you think you are oracle.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
After a season of driving home listening to Oscar telling us week after week that we were the better team but didn't take our chances, I certainly don't want to hear more "experts" giving their opinions especially on games I haven't even seen! Consequently, I've long since given up on MOTD and like others on here, just watch the action on the FLS with the sound turned down.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The old boy is so unsure of himself he questions everything. If a centre half goes through 2 footed in the penalty area through a centre forward missing the ball by a country mile he will say something like 'Was there contact? Well, We've seen those given haven't we' He won't 100% commit to anything.

My personal hatred is for Alan Green. Every game he watches he moans about. The referee. The conditions. The game itself. It's a great job commentating on football, I want to have someone who respects that. I also can't stand his cock sure arrogance that he is always right. His insistence that Joe Cole should be playing in the last World cup as an example. He went on and on and on about how cole was in HIS team. Sorry Alan but your opinion counts for nothing even if you think you are oracle.

To be fair, if you are going to set your stall out that Motson is a useless dodery old fool, and Green is an egocentric, whiney, ungrateful dullard, then you are not going to stimulate an awful lot of DEBATE on here!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
To be fair, if you are going to set your stall out that Motson is a useless dodery old fool, and Green is an egocentric, whiney, ungrateful dullard, then you are not going to stimulate an awful lot of DEBATE on here!

If it unites NSC, then how on earth do they get employed year on year? NSC is collective about practicaly nothing

Who makes this decision. Get thier head on a stick I say.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If it unites NSC, then how on earth do they get employed year on year? NSC is collective about practicaly nothing

Who makes this decision. Get thier head on a stick I say.

Good point. Until now there has been NOTHING that ALL of NSC has agreed on. This could be a true first.

There's been other stuff that you'd THINK would elicit a concensus, but no - even with these, seemingly cast iron truths:

"Steve Evans is an absolute shit" 10% reckon he's a brilliant man, and any past misdemeanours have been 'paid for'. And that woman steward deserved it anyway.

"Ian Holloway is about as funny as sticking cocktail sticks in your eyes" Hahaha Holloway. He's great. 'have oi told you about moy chickens?' lolz haha ROFL etc

"Maddy's disappearance was a tradgedy" 6% declare that the parents DESERVED it because they are middle class. And he has shifty eyes.

"Jeremy Forest was bang out of line. He was in a position of trust, and the girl was just 15 years old. And he's married -poor wife" [MENTION=2125]dougdeep[/MENTION] declares it was true love and he's done nothing wrong.

I'll start a POLL on Motson, and see if we can hit the magic 100% :thumbsup:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The old boy is so unsure of himself he questions everything. If a centre half goes through 2 footed in the penalty area through a centre forward missing the ball by a country mile he will say something like 'Was there contact? Well, We've seen those given haven't we' He won't 100% commit to anything..

My favourite was in the 2006 World Cup group game against Paraguay when their centre half, Gamarra, backheaded Beckham's free kick past his own goalkeeper. Motty: 'Ooh, do you think there was the suspicion of an own goal there, Mark?'

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Any TV company that employs Garth Crooks and Robbie Savage hates football. The BBC has nothing but contempt for football. In fact it hates sport but has to be seen to be trying. It much prefers to spend a fortune on Glyndebourne, The Proms etc. It will not spend our money on sport. They have a bigger budget than Sky but choose not to spend it on sport. *******s!

Agree totally about Garth Crooks. Why employed by the BBC?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Last Saturday I had to do the washing up to a Rugby match commentary on 5Live. There was the commentator who's name escapes me and an "Expert " in the form of Brian Moore. Well. if you think Green is a moaner listen to Moore. At every break in play he said along the lines of.....

I don't know what he was trying to do there.

He chose the wrong option there.

I don't know why he did that and got penalised

I don't know why he did not get penalised then.

-------- are doing this totally wrong.

Ad infinitum.. so either Brian Moore does not understand Rugby anymore or he is an Olympic standard moaner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here