Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marcelo Gallardo

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Heard other sources say $7m but not really the main point.

You think Brighton would "surely" get him to leave one of the biggest clubs in the world - which is also his parent club - for a small wage increase in Brighton?

Well. He won't.

Yes.

It’s the opportunity to manage a top 4 (at the time of him signing the contract) EPL side. The move to the biggest and best league in the world is the attraction (with an additional £2m-£3m per annum salary).

Also - he has complained about the pressure at River. The vast majority of our fans would be looking for an EPL season (staying in the top 15) of stabilising the ship with Potter jumping. Yes, the usual idiots would be calling for his head when we inevitably slip out of the top 10 but he’ll have the backing of the board for a considerable period.

Our club infrastructure will be totally alien to him but the professionalism and standards will be an eye opener and very attractive.

I think he’d come. It’s the perfect introduction to European football prior to taking one of the top 10 jobs. The question is, will Tony want him?

Last edited:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think he’d come. It’s the perfect introduction to European football prior to taking one of the top 10 jobs. The question is, will Tony want him?

:lol:

I'm all for it. As long as he brings Tammy Abraham and Giroud and the other boys you thought were realistic signings.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Tuchel salary, not potter.

Potter total contract at brighton was worth £8m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. Not according to The Athletic

https://theathletic.com/3576054/2022/09/08/tuchel-sacking-chelsea-potter/?source=user_shared_article

78a42285ab7a4f4744e4d7dd8aca8918.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

So Tony Bloom offered a rookie PL manager £8m a year for six years after being in charge of the club for like five games?

Meaning if things had gone tits up within six months and he was sacked, the club would have had to pay him around £44m?

Frankly that sounds like a horrible business decision... and thus not likely, unless they're counting the bonus GP probably got for coming top 10.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
So Tony Bloom offered a rookie PL manager £8m a year for six years after being in charge of the club for like five games?

Meaning if things had gone tits up within six months and he was sacked, the club would have had to pay him around £44m?

Frankly that sounds like a horrible business decision... and thus not likely, unless they're counting the bonus GP probably got for coming top 10.

It doesn't make sense to me either. It would mean Potter was one of the best paid managers in the league. Surely not.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Don’t be daft that’s makes no sense when you look at the compensation figure.

I don’t think release clauses for managers have to correspond to their wages.

Although you often hear the phrase “buying out their contract” I still attribute this to the clause not the remaining wage

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Managers really get the rest of their contract paid up in full if sacked. Mourinho and a few others will only work on that basis but most managers just 12 months or something.

Got told that by someone who used to work at the LMA

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Managers really get the rest of their contract paid up in full if sacked. Mourinho and a few others will only work on that basis but most managers just 12 months or something.

Got told that by someone who used to work at the LMA

Ok, might be the case in England. Sounds odd (why sign a long-term contract if you're the manager?) but not impossible.

Here a sacked manager gets his full pay until the end of his contract unless he gets a job somewhere else.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ok, might be the case in England. Sounds odd (why sign a long-term contract if you're the manager?) but not impossible.

Here a sacked manager gets his full pay until the end of his contract unless he gets a job somewhere else.

It came up because when Pardew got given a 8 year contract by Mike Ashley and that’s when I found out usually there is sone kind of break clause and rarely is it full term paid up

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
:lol:

I'm all for it. As long as he brings Tammy Abraham and Giroud and the other boys you thought were realistic signings.

I don’t blame you, I blame the memory cell destroying drugs that you’re addicted to.

Potter goes for a particular sort of Striker, one who can drop deep or go wide and link up play (Harry Kane is brilliant at this).

So it’s always worth looking at player assists when considering a new Striker for Potterball.

On another note, Mitro at Fulham is a much admired player to some on NSC, it’s noticeable that he just didn’t have the all round game for Parker’s progressive passing style despite smashing them in for Serbia regularly this season, I think we could assume Potter would take a similar view.

Rather than a static Murray/Giroud/Mitrovic type, we might well be looking for a player confident in scoring at the moment (30+ this season) but has the all round game to hit, say, 10 assists? Step forward Ivan Toney.

Drugs are bad, O.K!

Sep 9, 2010
If he turned down Barcelona, it seems highly unlikely. And if River are currently in a title battle, it's also unlikely he would join until the end of their season (December), so we'd probably need someone to take over for the interim, ie until the World Cup.
I know nothing about him and on the surface it is easy to assume that if he declined the Barca job he wouldn't come to us. But a lot depends on the REASON for declining in the first place.

Supposing he turned it down as he didn't fancy relocating half way around the world for a job he suspected would only last 12 months? Regardless of any compensation, the likelihood of having to relocate again so soon after moving that far might not appeal! Perhaps an ongoing project for a number of years might give greater motivation to relocate? Were a much more appealing prospect than some give us credit for.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don’t blame you, I blame the memory cell destroying drugs that you’re addicted to.

Drugs are bad, O.K!

On Giroud:

Anyway - he is free in the summer. I wouldn’t say no. He’d mop up a lot of the chances in the air we spurn.

I think four Strikers should be a goal of the club before the window slams shut.

Taking Brewster as a given (which is absurd, I acknowledge) I’d like some Premier League experience, cunning and strength. So......

Brewster & Deeney
Brewster & King
Brewster & Giroud
Brewster & Batshuayi (stolen loan)

You're probably right that my drugs are pretty bad compared to whatever you smoke.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
On Giroud:

You're probably right that my drugs are pretty bad compared to whatever you smoke.

I can’t be bothered to dig up the posts where you said ‘I’d like Giroud or Abramham but the club won’t be signing them too.’

Me stating I wouldn’t say no to a player is very different from expecting the club to sign them. I think the subtleties of the English language are sometimes too much for you (or it could be the drugs).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here