Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marcelo Gallardo

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Haven’t seen his name mentioned much at all but there has been some reports by the South American press that he’s a manager of interest.

I think he would be perfect and whilst his name has been mentioned as a future Barcelona manager I think we would be a great stepping stone club (for that’s what we are right now) into European football. Quite an old video but a good summary

https://youtu.be/MDo5rMWF5l4

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
His name has been mentioned on multiple threads, but the general opinion is that he wouldn't be interested in joining us.

Agree and also Alexis may have an issue. Last I looked Gallardo was 25/1 but he ticks every box plus a lot more. I would say we have/will make enquiries because we have had an increasingly big presence in SA for our recruitment. Here’s the latest report (off the back of an earlier Daily Express report)

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/river-plate-coach-marcelo-gallardo-a-candidate-for-brighton-job-4428946

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Now I've had time to look him up, I'm in. If we are to compete with the Big Six, we need an elite manager in waiting. Gallardo seems a little further up the ladder than Knutsen or Roberto.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A positive thought. Due to his short contract and the financial level of SA football, the compensation for River affordable.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
- two time Champions League (or Copa Libertadores as it is called) winner
- makes £6m+ a year in River
- says "as long as I can choose, I will always choose River" but has to contemplate after each season since the pressure in that club is immense
- currently in a title battle with River, season ends in December
- allegedly turned down Barcelona last year when they wanted to replace Koeman

This all kind of feels like the Giroud & Abraham threads that turned up when Brighton were looking for a new striker.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
- two time Champions League (or Copa Libertadores as it is called) winner
- makes £6m+ a year in River
- says "as long as I can choose, I will always choose River" but has to contemplate after each season since the pressure in that club is immense
- currently in a title battle with River, season ends in December
- allegedly turned down Barcelona last year when they wanted to replace Koeman

This all kind of feels like the Giroud & Abraham threads that turned up when Brighton were looking for a new striker.

Please stop it now. Let us have our foolish and unrealistic dreams! :ffsparr:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
If he turned down Barcelona, it seems highly unlikely. And if River are currently in a title battle, it's also unlikely he would join until the end of their season (December), so we'd probably need someone to take over for the interim, ie until the World Cup.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Source?

This indicates that he is on $6m, about £5.2m.

https://www.elfutbolero.us/mexicona...ld-come-to-get-Martino-out-20220907-0032.html

If true, it’s not a reason we’d not get him. We’d surely be able to get him for what we were paying Potter (allegedly £7m per year).

Heard other sources say $7m but not really the main point.

You think Brighton would "surely" get him to leave one of the biggest clubs in the world - which is also his parent club - for a small wage increase in Brighton?

Well. He won't.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
If he turned down Barcelona, it seems highly unlikely. And if River are currently in a title battle, it's also unlikely he would join until the end of their season (December), so we'd probably need someone to take over for the interim, ie until the World Cup.

Unless Ive missed something the last fixture is end of October. Regardless I would be very very surprised if this happened. More chance of signing Michael Owen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here