Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marc Cucurella

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I also thought he (mostly) had a decent game last night (esp compared to some of his team-mates). He obviously missed that great chance in the first half, which initially seemed v easy....needed too long to get the ball on his left foot. He was also WAY out of position for the first Madrid goal - no idea why he was so far forward with so little cover behind him. Or perhaps it was the fault of the Chelsea back three, who seemed pretty slow to react. He MAY recover next season, but he needs a decent coach who can organise a defence. No hope with Lampard!!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The way I see it, Cucu and Chelsea are now trapped in a loveless marriage.

Nobody would offer him anywhere near (not even half) of the wages he probably gets. Chelsea aren't now in a financial position to loan out a high wages player and cover most of the wages, especially as Chilwell is such a sicknote, they will need some squad cover

He won't play much as, yes, the fans associate him with Potter, and Chilwell and Colwill (or one of the other options they have above Cucu) will likely nail down those left sided defensive places, (and of course the next manager might not want 3 at the back which would limit him further).

They will also have fewer games as they won't be in Europe next season and who knows when they will qualify again.

I think he'll be increasingly peripheral, with audible groans when he occasionally comes on reinforcing a negative cycle of low confidence and bad performance.

Ah well Marc, i'm sure the money is good.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Cucurella's remaining contracts costs are cheap by comparison with others.

I see Inter don't want Lukaku anymore, and that means Chelsea taking back a 30 year old striker on £325K per week for another 3 years. The bloke has scored 3 goals in 18 Serie A appearances.

Sterling has bagged just 4 Prem goals in 22 matches, is 28 and has 4 more years to run on his £325K a week wages.

Chelsea's exposure to the wages OF THOSE 2 PLAYERS ALONE is a staggering £118,300,000.

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019

I see Inter don't want Lukaku anymore, and that means Chelsea taking back a 30 year old striker on £325K per week for another 3 years. The bloke has scored 3 goals in 18 Serie A appearances.

Sterling has bagged just 4 Prem goals in 22 matches, is 28 and has 4 more years to run on his £325K a week wages.

Chelsea's exposure to the wages OF THOSE 2 PLAYERS ALONE is a staggering £118,300,000.
All that money just to get your arse kicked, amazing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The way I see it, Cucu and Chelsea are now trapped in a loveless marriage.

Nobody would offer him anywhere near (not even half) of the wages he probably gets. Chelsea aren't now in a financial position to loan out a high wages player and cover most of the wages, especially as Chilwell is such a sicknote, they will need some squad cover

He won't play much as, yes, the fans associate him with Potter, and Chilwell and Colwill (or one of the other options they have above Cucu) will likely nail down those left sided defensive places, (and of course the next manager might not want 3 at the back which would limit him further).

They will also have fewer games as they won't be in Europe next season and who knows when they will qualify again.

I think he'll be increasingly peripheral, with audible groans when he occasionally comes on reinforcing a negative cycle of low confidence and bad performance.

Ah well Marc, i'm sure the money is good.
The same applies to a large number of players in the Chelsea squad.

Logically, you either get the best manager money can buy to somehow knit these players together, OR you have a fire sale to get the wages off the books, slim down the squad and be left with the 25/26 you need.

Id be looking to ship out not just Cucurella but Lukaku, Sterling, Pulisic, Kante, Koulibaly, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odi, Chalobah, Jorginho, Azpilicueta and Aubameyang. By my calculations that will leave 22 plus money to bring in Felix.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I feel sorry for Cucu really. I think at the time, any one of our players probably would have jumped at the chance.

Remember that the Chelsea project was very attractive pre season. I've filmed with a few players who have been in the form of their lives and have been in negotiations for better teams (and got them on camera). Most didn't come off, and they'll probably never get their chance at the really top level now. One player is doing well in the PL at least.

There's no way that Marc is a bad player - but it is very clear that structure and teamwork is essential in making sure that a player shows his worth. There's a reason why Ben White and Leo are performing so well at Arsenal, and Biss and Cucu have been underperforming.

I'm surprised that Marc gets all of the stick from Chelsea fans. Yes he's made mistakes, but at least he tries. Sterling, on the other hand, has been completely woeful.

It was very annoying that he left, I was as pissed off as every other Brighton fan and I enjoy the pantomime now - but we got an astonishing amount of money for a left back and I'd wager that estupinan is better and far less likely to leave.

I'd also think the whole Chelsea debacle would serve as a lesson to everybody about what are you jumping for. Ali Mac is likely to go in the summer - but he would be wise to sign for Man City, Real etc over Chelsea, Spurs... maybe liverpool...even somewhere like Barcelona.

Deep down, however, I think i'd like to see cucu succeed. As I would Potter. We're in a better place.
I agree. He just saw a more expensive and flashier boat in the marina and wanted to jump on board.

He didn't know it was holed below the water line and sinking fast.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Logically, you either get the best manager money can buy to somehow knit these players together, OR you have a fire sale to get the wages off the books, slim down the squad and be left with the 25/26 you need.

Id be looking to ship out not just Cucurella but Lukaku, Sterling, Pulisic, Kante, Koulibaly, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odi, Chalobah, Jorginho, Azpilicueta and Aubameyang. By my calculations that will leave 22 plus money to bring in Felix.
Well yes, (though not sure about Kovacic), but it remains to be seen if those players, who are on top dollar, have any intention of being shipped out anywhere. Maybe a few of the younger ones, but no chance they are getting shot of them all.

And also is it Felix they need to bring in? I think they will go balls out for a striker, probably Oshimen. This will need a lot of money. A lot. Meaning less palatable options will have to be considered, such as selling Colwill perhaps.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

You are shitting me, right?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Read yesterday that the recent Chelsea signings have “performance clauses” in contracts so will be on 25% less next season due to not qualifying for CL.
Also the received wisdom is any member of the squad is up for sale this summer as they desperately need to recoup some money. However does make it a buyers’ market and I very much doubt they’ll get the offers they want.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Well yes, (though not sure about Kovacic), but it remains to be seen if those players, who are on top dollar, have any intention of being shipped out anywhere. Maybe a few of the younger ones, but no chance they are getting shot of them all.

And also is it Felix they need to bring in? I think they will go balls out for a striker, probably Oshimen. This will need a lot of money. A lot. Meaning less palatable options will have to be considered, such as selling Colwill perhaps.
Yes - but why would Osimhen want to go to a mid league club? Or any other decent players for that matter.
Money will be the only factor. And I think I would want to go to a club who could win something in Europe, even for a slighly less lucrative contract.
Chelsea are a huge mess - can they afford to offer big bucks in wages anymore?
We need some analysis from our resident top dullard

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I'd assume that all Chelsea players won't want to be out of Europe and facing another mid-table finish in the Premier League, worse still if you're on the bench. Yet if everybody stays the same thing will happen again. You've had 3 completely different coaches all failing to get a tune out of this squad.

To persuade a top player like Osimhen to join Chelsea when they are not in the Champions League you need a top, proven A List coach at the helm. As for Felix, he is a luxury player but Chelsea really seem to like him and he's been one of the relatively more dangerous players.

I think the best fit for Chelsea and their current squad would be Luis Enrique. That would certainly be good news for Cucurella as Enrique gave him his Spain debut.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'd assume that all Chelsea players won't want to be out of Europe and facing another mid-table finish in the Premier League, worse still if you're on the bench. Yet if everybody stays the same thing will happen again. You've had 3 completely different coaches all failing to get a tune out of this squad.

To persuade a top player like Osimhen to join Chelsea when they are not in the Champions League you need a top, proven A List coach at the helm. As for Felix, he is a luxury player but Chelsea really seem to like him and he's been one of the relatively more dangerous players.

I think the best fit for Chelsea and their current squad would be Luis Enrique. That would certainly be good news for Cucurella as Enrique gave him his Spain debut.
Or you offer them an 8 year deal on unimaginable wages. (though I believe this loophole has been closed)

Don't agree with you on Enrique. I don't see the Chelsea hierarchy placing value on the slow burn brand of tika taka we saw recently at the world cup. Nagelsman or Poch, much more likely

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Jorginho has left already - he went to Arsenal in January...
Kante is out of contract in the summer but reports are he's about to sign a new 2 year deal.
Azpilacueta, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson Odoi, Pulisic, Kovacic, and Auba are all out of contract at the end of next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here