Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Of those players signed 8 were for the immediate first team squad, 4 went straight on loan and Zeqiri I don’t really know where to put. We have done business late in the window, but I wouldn’t say we particularly make a habit of it. This time we’re either bucking the trend or we’ve dropped a fairly mighty clanger. I’m encouraged by the relative lack of business elsewhere though Villa and Palace have certainly been busy as have the promoted trio.

Just providing a bit more context. It happens and we do make a habit of it. we've signed key players that way and an average of 4 or so every year in this period. Doing late business isn't necessarily dropping a clanger either although of course club would prefer to have it all wrapped up early.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Burnley are in for him according to the telegraph.

Looks like they wanted him 2 years ago - could be lazy link from the telegraph - hopefully.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Just providing a bit more context. It happens and we do make a habit of it. we've signed key players that way and an average of 4 or so every year in this period. Doing late business isn't necessarily dropping a clanger either although of course club would prefer to have it all wrapped up early.

It’s an average of 2 starters a year, which would mean we need to break tradition and do pretty much all of our final business in the last few weeks.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I think it may be that a lot of players are sitting tight for better offers to come in. If they don't get them there may be a lot of last few days business. I'm guessing Tony being a poker player is prepared to wait for the best late deal.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
It’s an average of 2 starters a year, which would mean we need to break tradition and do pretty much all of our final business in the last few weeks.

How many starters do you think we need?

I would say 2 at most - the striker obviously but the others would be primarily backup? A backup CB/potential starter possibly but RWB and RB is Lampteys to lose when back from injury, and LWB is March’s to lose too, although if we got Cucurella then he may be the starter.

Where else do we need starters?

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
what is so aggravatingly frustrating this and every other bloody window - and its probably been said before - is if you compare Getafe with us its not unrealistic to draw a similar comparison to say us and Spurs or Arsenal for example, our average gate is 30 k, Getafe's is 11k., almost 3 times the size. We are relatively awash with premiership money, Spanish clubs are broke. We have world class facilities they don't. Yet no quick deal seems to happen. Just on personnel terms surely Cucurella would double/ treble his salary, plus a hefty signing fee, even if he found he could just not settle in the UK in 2 years time. I just don't hear the noises from his agent of a player wanting to come here and his current club are being awkward in dragging their feet. I posted earlier that I think this is a done deal but as time has gone on I'm just not so sure now. Frustrating.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
How many starters do you think we need?

I would say 2 at most - the striker obviously but the others would be primarily backup? A backup CB/potential starter possibly but RWB and RB is Lampteys to lose when back from injury, and LWB is March’s to lose too, although if we got Cucurella then he may be the starter.

Where else do we need starters?

I think it depends on the formation, if we go with a back 4 realistically we should be fine with Dunk, Webster, Veltman and Burn, but we would need a LB and a RB, obviously there’s a striker that we would all like, I also think there’s a possibility of needing a forward like Gonzalez to play on the left or right, so that’s 3 or potentially 4.
If we’re playing a back 3 we’d need a CB, assuming Duffy is going. We’ll need a LWB to cover/challenge March, Veltman can hold the fort at RWB until Lamptey returns (fingers crossed) and we’d still need that elusive striker.

Either 3 or 4 signings needed in my book.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
what is so aggravatingly frustrating this and every other bloody window - and its probably been said before - is if you compare Getafe with us its not unrealistic to draw a similar comparison to say us and Spurs or Arsenal for example, our average gate is 30 k, Getafe's is 11k., almost 3 times the size. We are relatively awash with premiership money, Spanish clubs are broke. We have world class facilities they don't. Yet no quick deal seems to happen. Just on personnel terms surely Cucurella would double/ treble his salary, plus a hefty signing fee, even if he found he could just not settle in the UK in 2 years time. I just don't hear the noises from his agent of a player wanting to come here and his current club are being awkward in dragging their feet. I posted earlier that I think this is a done deal but as time has gone on I'm just not so sure now. Frustrating.
Hmmm tbf to the guy he's one of getafes best players, and bear in mind that they may not be bigger than us but they are probably better than us. So you can't blame him for wanting to wait for a bigger club to come in.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It is also possible the opposite is going on? In a window where there is very little money and a lot of clubs in serious debt. Clubs are going to be asking for big money for players to try and alleviate the financial problems they have. However, if you are a buying club looking for value, wouldn't it make sense this summer at least to wait until close to the end of the window? Clubs will become desperate, players that might have been unavailable earlier may have to be sacrificed as other offers are not forthcoming and of course fees are likely to reduce as the deadline looms.

Right now other clubs will take the view that we have £50m and they want some of that, last few days of the window they may think, we wanted £20m for Joe Bloggs but if we don't sell in the next couple of days we may go bust, that £12m offer from Brighton is the best we are going to get? Agents/Players will be in the same boat no move no pay rise / commission maybe the £40k a week they are offering is better than another 12 months here on £10k? Lastly, we can't move on player A no interest, maybe we will have to sacrifice player B because we have to balance the books?

Loads of reasons right now to keep our powder dry. Let's wait and see eh?

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
I think it depends on the formation, if we go with a back 4 realistically we should be fine with Dunk, Webster, Veltman and Burn, but we would need a LB and a RB, obviously there’s a striker that we would all like, I also think there’s a possibility of needing a forward like Gonzalez to play on the left or right, so that’s 3 or potentially 4.
If we’re playing a back 3 we’d need a CB, assuming Duffy is going. We’ll need a LWB to cover/challenge March, Veltman can hold the fort at RWB until Lamptey returns (fingers crossed) and we’d still need that elusive striker.

Either 3 or 4 signings needed in my book.

Yes - 3/4 signings sounds about right - but you said about 2 starters being the average for the last 3 weeks of the window and that appeared not to be enough…

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

We don’t particularly invest to get to top half

Very real chance someone coming to us would end up in the championship

Need to show some intent but that costs !!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yes - 3/4 signings sounds about right - but you said about 2 starters being the average for the last 3 weeks of the window and that appeared not to be enough…

I don’t know if we’ve got lost in translation somewhere? I was pointing out that traditionally we don’t do that much business in the last 2 or 3 weeks as we’ve averaged 2 players in that window per PL season, obviously we like to be ahead of the curve. If we do require 3 or 4 players that’s a lot of business in not much time.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It is also possible the opposite is going on? In a window where there is very little money and a lot of clubs in serious debt. Clubs are going to be asking for big money for players to try and alleviate the financial problems they have. However, if you are a buying club looking for value, wouldn't it make sense this summer at least to wait until close to the end of the window? Clubs will become desperate, players that might have been unavailable earlier may have to be sacrificed as other offers are not forthcoming and of course fees are likely to reduce as the deadline looms.

Right now other clubs will take the view that we have £50m and they want some of that, last few days of the window they may think, we wanted £20m for Joe Bloggs but if we don't sell in the next couple of days we may go bust, that £12m offer from Brighton is the best we are going to get? Agents/Players will be in the same boat no move no pay rise / commission maybe the £40k a week they are offering is better than another 12 months here on £10k? Lastly, we can't move on player A no interest, maybe we will have to sacrifice player B because we have to balance the books?

Loads of reasons right now to keep our powder dry. Let's wait and see eh?

there are 9 very good reasons why we need to get this settled soon as we have 3 games which are really winnable and at least 2 of the clubs are likely to be in the12 clubs mini table. We need to start the season running not trying to fit in some players who have not played with rest of the team.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
there are 9 very good reasons why we need to get this settled soon as we have 3 games which are really winnable and at least 2 of the clubs are likely to be in the12 clubs mini table. We need to start the season running not trying to fit in some players who have not played with rest of the team.

To an extent I agree. 6 or 7 points or better from the opening three and the worlds a good place. But we can get that with what we have too? This is a decent side in its own right not a just promoted team that needs to get up to speed. We absolutely need to strengthen but if we can get real quality later in the window it might be the best policy...

I would expect activity to start to ramp up from here once the first squads of the season are named.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
I don’t know if we’ve got lost in translation somewhere? I was pointing out that traditionally we don’t do that much business in the last 2 or 3 weeks as we’ve averaged 2 players in that window per PL season, obviously we like to be ahead of the curve. If we do require 3 or 4 players that’s a lot of business in not much time.

Sorry, I misunderstood because you said we sign 2 starters a year in the last 3 weeks, and we need to exceed that this time around.

My view was that if we sign 2 starters and one of them is a striker then I would be happy, along with maybe cover at fullback.

However, it seems you meant 2 players in general, starters or cover - and I think you are right that we need 3-4 really in total.

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
Burnley now after him.

Burnley are prepared to go head-to-head with Brighton & Hove Albion in the race to sign Getafe defender Marc Cucurella, The Telegraph reports.

Cucurella has been with La Liga outfit for the past two seasons, where he has impressed with four goals and eight assists from 85 appearances.

The Spaniard started his career as a left-back, but he was vastly played on the left side of the midfield for Getafe in their preferred 4-4-2 formation.

Brighton have been heavily tipped to sign him this summer, but it appears that they could now face competition from Burnley for his services.

Sportslens view:

Cucurella has played with lesser possession at Getafe, and he has regularly backtracked to help out his left-back with defensive duties.

Brighton appear the perfect fit for him with their possession-based football that will offer him the chance to express himself.

They have made little progress in negotiating a fee for the 23-year-old, which could play into the hands of the Clarets.

The Spaniard would be a quality addition for either club. He won 1.7 tackles and 1.9 aerial duels per game last term operating in midfield.

His passing success rate was not great at 73, but he played for a side that ended 15th in La Liga and averaged about 35 percent possession.

Cucurella arrived at Getafe from Barcelona for €6 million. He is currently valued at around €20m by Transfermarkt after the progress made.

With three years left on his contract, the La Liga outfit could be eyeing a similar fee. Cucurella recently won silver with Spain at the Olympics.

Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Whoscored.com

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here