Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Its worse then that. This has been an absolute disaster of a transfer window, a real calamity. We are weaker going into this season then what we finished last season and the season starts Saturday.

A real shame, all that pre season enthusiasm has just evaporated.

There is no way we are weaker than last season… all the younger players have a year more experience, which is huge given how many young players we have.

Mwepu has joined and he is clearly a talent and the only consistent first team player to leave was our 3rd/4th best centre back - we will miss him, no doubt, but it isn’t a catastrophe.

Yes we need another striker, and full/wing back cover - and no one would argue that, but we have 3 weeks left of the transfer window to go and I’d say we are on par with last season as it stands, and anything we get will make us stronger.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Its worse then that. This has been an absolute disaster of a transfer window, a real calamity. We are weaker going into this season then what we finished last season and the season starts Saturday.

Move away from the keyboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

It has been a great transfer window.... so far.

The next 21 days are important of course but we have already signed a great looking player in Mwepu, invested in future seasons with Mitoma, banked £50 million and got a treasure trove of wages off the books.

Let's see what the next 3 weeks bring ( 2-3 recruits - 4 if Scherpen's injury is bad - 10? more players off the books ).

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

The next 21 days are important of course but we have already signed a great looking player in Mwepu, invested in future seasons with Mitoma, banked £50 million and got a treasure trove of wages off the books.

Let's see what the next 3 weeks bring ( 2-3 recruits - 4 if Scherpen's injury is bad - 10? more players off the books ).

Has it? ??? The two biggest holes in our squad (left back and striker) haven’t been addressed… yet.

I agree with you re Mwepu and banking £50m, but until we plug the obvious gaps, which I still cling to the belief we will, I don’t think this window can be classified as “great”.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Has it? ??? The two biggest holes in our squad (left back and striker) haven’t been addressed… yet.

I agree with you re Mwepu and banking £50m, but until we plug the obvious gaps, which I still cling to the belief we will, I don’t think this window can be classified as “great”.

I agree. It has been decent at getting some deadwood cleared, and Mwepu looks good. But those two are ‘must haves’ for a great window (I’d argue a RB or Right sided Centre back is close to a must have as well with Lamptey not over his injury issues). Getting Locadia off the books as well would make it unbelievable!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Solly is a terrific LWB, no hole there. Our forwards will come good. We're lacking goals from midfield, if they start to flow the rest will fall into place. So yes, it's been a good window so far.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
There is no way we are weaker than last season… all the younger players have a year more experience, which is huge given how many young players we have.

Mwepu has joined and he is clearly a talent and the only consistent first team player to leave was our 3rd/4th best centre back - we will miss him, no doubt, but it isn’t a catastrophe.

Yes we need another striker, and full/wing back cover - and no one would argue that, but we have 3 weeks left of the transfer window to go and I’d say we are on par with last season as it stands, and anything we get will make us stronger.

I know this is the trendy narrative to go along with but let’s be honest shall we, Ben White played more minutes than any other defender last season, as well as playing in a flat 4, a back 3, RB and CDM, he was a Swiss Army knife for Potter, with Lamptey being a perma-crock we’ve lost White’s obvious replacement (Veltman) meaning, as things stand, Shane Duffy is the next man up at centre back. We’ve signed Mwepu, sounds great, but he’s a CM in a squad bloated with midfielders, how many players that we’ve taken from Europe’s smaller leagues have been top performers for us?
I appreciate it’s all about opinions, but to claim the squad isn’t weaker is beyond me, we’ve got the same limited strikers, no full backs, 673 midfielders, nothing that resembles a winger and zero pace, with Burn on the injury table and White having left we’re now comically short at centre back. I understand Pottter apparently likes a small squad, but this one is terribly imbalanced and hasn’t really done anything to address last season woeful finishing.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Solly is a terrific LWB, no hole there. Our forwards will come good. We're lacking goals from midfield, if they start to flow the rest will fall into place. So yes, it's been a good window so far.

Solly March is not a left back, he’s a good wing back, massive difference. There’s also zero depth beyond Solly, so we’re definitely not good there.

What makes you say our forwards will come good? What have you seen to suggest they can improve on last season’s horrific tally? How will the midfield contribute more goals, Mwepu isn’t exactly a goal machine.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

I’m a big fan of Solly and I think he played brilliantly at LWB but, as we’ve seen, there is not sufficient cover in that position for injuries (which I believe Solly is prone to) or potential suspensions. Zeqiri, Moder and Burn can “do a job” in a pinch, but they aren’t wingbacks or fullbacks. Moreover, the club obviously believe this to be the case also thus their chasing of Cucurella.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I’m a big fan of Solly and I think he played brilliantly at LWB but, as we’ve seen, there is not sufficient cover in that position for injuries (which I believe Solly is prove to) or potential suspensions. Zeqiri, Moder and Burn can “do a job” in a pinch, but they aren’t wingbacks or fullbacks. Moreover, the club obviously believe this to be the case also thus their chasing of Cucurella.

It’s making my head spin, we’ve very clearly been trying sign full backs for both sides in Livramento and Cucurella, we’re desperate for a forward hence the pursuit of Gonzalez, Nunez and possibly Edouard. If we had signed the two defenders and one forward I’d say we’d had an exceptional window, as things stand…it’s a shocker.
We need quite a lot to happen in the next 3 weeks.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I get where you are coming from here.

We’ve lost Ben White along with two certain starters (in Welbeck & Lamptey) being in the treatment room with Burn crocked too.

With Veltman needed at centre back, our transfer priorities were completion for Maupay up front, back up for Lamptey and back up for March. We’ve signed no one to fill these positions unless you consider Mwepu a RWB.

However, Sarmiento, Scherpen & Mitoma are good punts for the future and keeping Biss at the Amex has been a huge boost along with finding some great development loans for our youngsters.

We still need 3 good transfers in my opinion including cover for March and Lamptey (Cucurella?) and that elusive striker plus we need to loan or sell another half dozen players or so but everything is tiking along nicely and we have three weeks to go. Let’s judge this window on Sept 1st, I’ve a feeling that the club still has a lot of transfer work it wants to get done.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

:lolol: no it hasn’t.

But it’s not a “disaster” either. We still have 3 weeks left, anything could happen, but if it ended now it would be a pretty poor window. We are worse in defence and have not improved a misfiring attack. We still need a ST, LWB & a CB/RWB at the minimum.

I get the frustration from some, we do seem notoriously slow at getting transfers over the line!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
[emoji38]ol: no it hasn’t.

But it’s not a “disaster” either. We still have 3 weeks left, anything could happen, but if it ended now it would be a pretty poor window. We are worse in defence and have not improved a misfiring attack. We still need a ST, LWB & a CB/RWB at the minimum.

I get the frustration from some, we do seem notoriously slow at getting transfers over the line!

Yes, but I said "so far".

If the window had shut it would be a totally different matter.

But we are making an assessment with 21 days left and in theory the ability to do countless more deals.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I get where you are coming from here.

We’ve lost Ben White along with two certain starters (in Welbeck & Lamptey) being in the treatment room with Burn crocked too.

With Veltman needed at centre back, our transfer priorities were completion for Maupay up front, back up for Lamptey and back up for March. We’ve signed no one to fill these positions unless you consider Mwepu a RWB.

However, Sarmiento, Scherpen & Mitoma are good punts for the future and keeping Biss at the Amex has been a huge boost along with finding some great development loans for our youngsters.

We still need 3 good transfers in my opinion including cover for March and Lamptey (Cucurella?) and that elusive striker plus we need to loan or sell another half dozen players or so but everything is tiking along nicely and we have three weeks to go. Let’s judge this window on Sept 1st, I’ve a feeling that the club still has a lot of transfer work it wants to get done.

Without being rude, you are still basically saying, “Christ! We need to sign a load of players for our first team and we are running out of time.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Without being rude, you are still basically saying, “Christ! We need to sign a load of players for our first team and we are running out of time.”

Yes. But no need for nouns like ‘disaster’ & ‘calamity’. I believe that the club have got it all under control this window, we just need a little patience.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Solly March is not a left back, he’s a good wing back, massive difference. There’s also zero depth beyond Solly, so we’re definitely not good there.

What makes you say our forwards will come good? What have you seen to suggest they can improve on last season’s horrific tally? How will the midfield contribute more goals, Mwepu isn’t exactly a goal machine.

I think Dan Burn might tell you otherwise when it comes to LB! We don't need a goal machine in middle of the park, ten plus more goals between them would make a huge difference, I just pointed out we need more goals from midfield, which we do. If we have one or two midfielders that are dangerous in front of goal, opposing teams will have to counter the threat, that should create more space and time for our forward players.

Besides, I still don't think any of the front players we're being linked with are any better than we already have, sure they'll add depth, but not much more than that from what I've seen of them. For what it's worth, I'm sure we'll bring a forward or two in, but does our season depend on it? Nah, I don't think so.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think Dan Burn might tell you otherwise when it comes to LB! We don't need a goal machine in middle of the park, ten plus more goals between them would make a huge difference, I just pointed out we need more goals from midfield, which we do. If we have one or two midfielders that are dangerous in front of goal, opposing teams will have to counter the threat, that should create more space and time for our forward players.

Besides, I still don't think any of the front players we're being linked with are any better than we already have, sure they'll add depth, but not much more than that from what I've seen of them. For what it's worth, I'm sure we'll bring a forward or two in, but does our season depend on it? Nah, I don't think so.

Dan Burn has damaged knee ligaments, he’s not just going to miss 1 or 2 games, and with White gone we’re going to need Burn as additional cover at centre back seeing as Veltman has to be our right back as we don’t have one of those either. Obviously there’s no guarantee that a new striker will be a scoring machine, but we’d be disgustingly unlucky to sign another striker as incompetent as our current hapless choices.

We all know we need more goals from around the team, but defining who our midfielders are is difficult, the majority of games we only play with two traditional midfielders, one of which generally is anchored in front of the defence, it’s the forwards such as Trossard, MaCallister and Lallana who need to up their tallies.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No disrespect to any of them, but right now I would gladly swap all of our new signings for Odsonne Edouard or Paul Onuachu.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

please don't go to the football then

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
It’s making my head spin, we’ve very clearly been trying sign full backs for both sides in Livramento and Cucurella, we’re desperate for a forward hence the pursuit of Gonzalez, Nunez and possibly Edouard. If we had signed the two defenders and one forward I’d say we’d had an exceptional window, as things stand…it’s a shocker.
We need quite a lot to happen in the next 3 weeks.

which is when it all happens, and always has

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here