Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
So did we sign this player two years ago?

Maupay has scored 18 goals in his first 70 PL games. How does that compare?

Calvert-Lewin 11 goals in first 78 PL games
Ings 21 goals in first 73 PL games

Calvert-Lewin then scored 27 in his next 70.
Ings scored 34 in his next 67.

Jimenez less comparable, but scored 18 in his last 80 games in the Portuguese league before coming here.
He then got 30 in his first 76 PL games, at age 27 when he arrived.

All I'm saying is that its way too soon to write Maupay off. Most strikers take time to settle at the top level before they become prolific.

Sorry I think we know he's not reaching that level.

However I like him and recognise he's a good asset but as a support striker to the sort of player we need.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As I've never believed in coincidences this i think was a done deal the day before the friendly was announced. ???

Never know - Argus said not and their bloke who quoted in the Argus said they haven’t had offers - but that could all be bullshit cover ups - I just think all the noises on this one are positive - although a few pages ago some random on Twitter with 2k followers said Athletico are in for him and 7 or 8 posters took that as we’ve been gazumped! :lol:

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Sorry I think we know he's not reaching that level.

However I like him and recognise he's a good asset but as a support striker to the sort of player we need.

I'd like to ask how does maupay differ from the other examples that the OP listed meaning he won't get to the level that they did?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Never know - Argus said not and their bloke who quoted in the Argus said they haven’t had offers - but that could all be bullshit cover ups - I just think all the noises on this one are positive - although a few pages ago some random on Twitter with 2k followers said Athletico are in for him and 7 or 8 posters took that as we’ve been gazumped! :lol:

But I don't think this one will be about offers. I might be wrong, but didn't Getafe say that they weren't prepared to negotiate and the only way in which he would leave would be if someone triggered his released clause (said to be €18m)? I think the Albion were trying to negotiate something because it would have saved them a bit on Spanish tax, but Getafe didn't want to play ball.

I can't quite remember how this works, but don't players in Spain have to pay the release clause themselves? I seem to remember something about this in the Kepa to Chelsa transfer a few years back. Presumably Cucurella has to be back in Spain to take care of the bureaucracy and nothing can be done until after the Olympics (hence the article in today's Argus).

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You can miss big chances, if you still score 17 goals like Bamford ...

Yes, but I think we sometimes think other strikers are more clinical than they actually are. We see ours for 90 minutes every week, we see the others for 90 minutes twice a season maybe, and then the highlights on MOTD which will show all the goals, but not necessarily all the misses.

If Maupay missed 11 big chances, and scored 8 goals and Bamford missed 21 big chances and scored 17 goals, they are missing and scoring at about the same rate, so perhaps it is the team not creating enough good chances, which is the difference between us finishing top half or bottom half.
I think the issue is that we look dominant, with lots of posession, which limits the oppositions opportunities, but actually creating good scoring chances is not at a high enough level to be scoring tons of goals.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think some posters have lost sight of the bigger picture and what's at stake here:-

topic_535457316_164933051_1706x1280.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes, but I think we sometimes think other strikers are more clinical than they actually are. We see ours for 90 minutes every week, we see the others for 90 minutes twice a season maybe, and then the highlights on MOTD which will show all the goals, but not necessarily all the misses.

If Maupay missed 11 big chances, and scored 8 goals and Bamford missed 21 big chances and scored 17 goals, they are missing and scoring at about the same rate, so perhaps it is the team not creating enough good chances, which is the difference between us finishing top half or bottom half.
I think the issue is that we look dominant, with lots of posession, which limits the oppositions opportunities, but actually creating good scoring chances is not at a high enough level to be scoring tons of goals.

Base line is, you think Maupay is good enough as our main strike threat, I and many others do not.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I'd like to ask how does maupay differ from the other examples that the OP listed meaning he won't get to the level that they did?

Well it's all individual opinions isn't it?

This time last year I posted that Maupay was only good enough as a support striker. He actually had a worse season that I was expecting.

If you really think that he has shown he can reach those heights then fair play to you. I honestly hope you are right.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Well it's all individual opinions isn't it?

This time last year I posted that Maupay was only good enough as a support striker. He actually had a worse season that I was expecting.

If you really think that he has shown he can reach those heights then fair play to you. I honestly hope you are right.

No my point (and the OPs point) is that you just don't know. Currently he's probably good enough for a team that's staying up every year, I think if we want top 10 or thereabouts this season we need to invest for sure.

But I think to say that maupay has reached his potential in the PL and that he won't reach the levels of the other players who had similar records that have been mentioned is very very premature imo.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Base line is, you think Maupay is good enough as our main strike threat, I and many others do not.

He needs to improve a bit, for sure. I think he can, you think he can't. I am not against acquiring a new striker, but I don't think Maupay is done here, and he is not alone in needing to improve his strike rate.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for the memories Claudia, it was fun while it lasted.

No point her other half singing for a side considerably poorer than the one he's currently at.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Having watched the game today, first time I’ve seen this guy in action, I saw zero reason for us to be interested in him

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Having watched the game today, first time I’ve seen this guy in action, I saw zero reason for us to be interested in him
Best player for Spain in the semis. Probably out of our league I'd truth be told.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Did last season pass you by? We literally missed open goals and a ton of one and ones. I don’t know what the club are doing right now all I know is we are weaker than last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here