[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I think you are in a very small minority.

He could get a career ending injury next season and on the salary here, he could probably live relatively comfortably however if he had the same injury on the better contract then more of his family are going to be secure.

Oh, and we're not playing in Europe!!! Also, he doesn't really have to move.

Okay, that's a point, tbf. However, he's probably earned twice the average person's lifetime wage, in a single year already. I'm not specifically aiming this at Cucu, but in general, now. If, God forbid, I had a job-threatening injury next year, I'm basically screwed - would (or more to the point, 'should') someone who has already earned a couple of mill not be secure? I'm not saying they can go buy a yacht etc., but secure? Of course they should be, even if the worst case scenario happened, but if they survive another year, that's another 2 lifetimes average earnings in their pocket (minus tax).
Pretty poor argument, imo.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
If you had to the attitude of being happy where you are with a work-life balance then you wouldn't succeed as a professional footballer. Its a hugely competitive environment and only a tiny percentage with the commitment and drive to succeed make the cut and an even smaller amount get to the position where they are involved in a transfer for £50 million quid! The reason they got there is that they want to be the best and reach the highest level they can, they keep pushing on and they are typically risk takers.

Blooms investment isn't a separate issue, you don't understand why anyone would want to earn more than £20 million but Blooms desire to accumulate more wealth than that enabled him to build us a stadium and has brought the football club all its success! Its a good job he didn't get to £20 Million, sell up and sit back isn't it?

"Risk takers"? :D Where's the risk when you're already a millionaire? (I'm talking footballers, not TB, so you can leave him out of it)
Pro footballers earn obscene amounts of money, compared with just a few decades ago. Nope.....it's greed - sorry.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Different people, different drivers.

I had the opportunity to double my salary a few times, but it would have meant moving abroad with young children. I was well paid, I enjoyed my job, my kids loved their home, school and friends and my wife loved where we lived and our social life, which in turn meant I had a great life so why would I want to risk that ?

But if you're the very best you don't think like that.

You are right, in that if you are very well paid and have a comfortable life, that money becomes less of an issue. However, if you've already picked up your whole family and moved them to a different country, culture etc, what difference does another move make ? (And I know lots of people whose whole family followed them around the world, regardless of the impact on them, purely for money). I wanted to earn a lot, but money wasn't the be all for me, I simply wanted to earn enough to ensure my family were secure. A lot of people I knew kept moving the whole family because their driver was the power that goes with serious money.

However, I don't believe it is money that drives MC, I think it's the opportunity to play at the very top level and prove himself with the VERY best. There is some serious money that goes with that, but I believe it's that being the best that drives him. I would have loved to have been like that, had it not been for my two left feet, lack of stamina, trouble with weight, booze etc etc :wink:

Sarmiento springs to mind. Born in Madrid, his family moved to London aged 7 so he could go to Charlton academy (none of the family spoke English). Then they all moved to Portugal when he was 16 to play for Benfica, including his little sister.

Then at 18 signed for us and moved to Brighton.

Yes it's partly the money, but for some it's about reaching your potential and pushing yourself at the highest levels.

Yes we are a 'top 10' PL club, but top 4 is a whole different level.

I say thanks Cucu for the memories, short and sweet, we'll trouser the £35m profit and continue on our merry way, unearthing the next Ben White, Biss, Cucu and develop the potential in our young guns, Enciso, Caicedo, Mwepu, Sarmiento, Tross, Mac Argie and so on. Your sale has helped us carry on our model of developing talent and selling on for vast profits.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If you had to the attitude of being happy where you are with a work-life balance then you wouldn't succeed as a professional footballer. Its a hugely competitive environment and only a tiny percentage with the commitment and drive to succeed make the cut and an even smaller amount get to the position where they are involved in a transfer for £50 million quid! The reason they got there is that they want to be the best and reach the highest level they can, they keep pushing on and they are typically risk takers.

Blooms investment isn't a separate issue, you don't understand why anyone would want to earn more than £20 million but Blooms desire to accumulate more wealth than that enabled him to build us a stadium and has brought the football club all its success! Its a good job he didn't get to £20 Million, sell up and sit back isn't it?

Now that is an interesting one, what drives TB ?

He obviously inherited big (at the time) family money from Harry (and the responsibility that goes with that) and has invested it very wisely, but he doesn't seem particularly driven by the power of serious money and it certainly doesn't seem to be an ego thing, so I wonder whether it is the intellectual challenge that he likes. Whichever, I can't imagine a better chairman :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sarmiento springs to mind. Born in Madrid, his family moved to London aged 7 so he could go to Charlton academy (none of the family spoke English). Then they all moved to Portugal when he was 16 to play for Benfica, including his little sister.

Then at 18 signed for us and moved to Brighton.

Yes it's partly the money, but for some it's about reaching your potential and pushing yourself at the highest levels.

Yes we are a 'top 10' PL club, but top 4 is a whole different level.

I say thanks Cucu for the memories, short and sweet, we'll trouser the £35m profit and continue on our merry way, unearthing the next Ben White, Biss, Cucu and develop the potential in our young guns, Enciso, Caicedo, Mwepu, Sarmiento, Tross, Mac Argie and so on. Your sale has helped us carry on our model of developing talent and selling on for vast profits.

I'm really not asking for sympathy for top footballers :wink: but your whole family have to be completely committed to your career above all else (parents, as you point out) spouse, kids etc, maybe moving countries, home, schools, friends every couple of years, and not exactly the most secure of careers ???

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I'm really not asking for sympathy for top footballers :wink: but your whole family have to be completely committed to you career above all else (parents, as you point out) spouse, kids etc, maybe moving countries, home, schools, friends every couple of years ???

Yes, to do what - stash ever more 10's of millions away? I keep asking (yet get no reply) - at what stage do you realise that you have ample money, to avoid the moving, as stated above?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think you are in a very small minority.

He could get a career ending injury next season and on the salary here, he could probably live relatively comfortably however if he had the same injury on the better contract then more of his family are going to be secure.

Oh, and we're not playing in Europe!!! Also, he doesn't really have to move.

I think I'm in an even HUGER minority than voted for Brexit, TBH!

You do realise that most people aren't on anything like £2 or £3 million a year, don't you?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, to do what - stash ever more 10's of millions away? I keep asking (yet get no reply) - at what stage do you realise that you have ample money, to avoid the moving, as stated above?

These athletes who compete at the very top level have made that decision that everything revolves around them achieving their ambitions years ago, and everything (parents, spouse, children,) have played second place to that for years. They aren't driven by money, they are driven by being the VERY best, that's all that matters. It's the be all and end all.

I really don't think money enters into their thinking, apart from when they're not competing and getting it in the ear from their agents :wink:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

People keep answering and giving you explanations and opinions but you have the old blinkers on it would seem.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

You do realise that most people aren't on anything like £2 or £3 million a year, don't you?

If you were, what you did may make slightly more sense, dependant of course on if you invested it wisely :wink:

Last edited:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
These athletes who compete at the very top level have made that decision that everything revolves around them achieving their ambitions years ago, and everything (parents, spouse, children,) have played second place to that for years. They aren't driven by money, they are driven by being the VERY best, that's all that matters. It's the be all and end all.

I really don't think money enters into their thinking, apart from when they're not competing and getting it in the ear from their agents :wink:

As has been mentioned, only a very few reach those lofty levels, but even the most 'average' PL player will earn far more in a single year than the average person will, in an entire lifetime.
It's worth keeping in mind. :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

What has your last sentence got to do with it?

You asked why move when you are comfortable. Loads have given reasons.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As has been mentioned, only a very few reach those lofty levels, but even the most 'average' PL player will earn far more in a single year than the average person will, in an entire lifetime.

I agree that even an average 'PL player' will earn huge money. Those in the Championship, League 1 and 2 and the professionals in the leagues below not so much (even though they will probably still drag their families all around the country every few years) :wink:

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I agree that even an average 'PL player' will earn huge money. Those in the Championship, League 1 and 2 and the professionals in the leagues below not so much (even though they will probably still drag their families all around the country every few years) :wink:

Championship players will still be earning well into 6 figures, or low 7 figures per year for the best of them (even some of our more promising youngsters will be into 6 figures... imagine having that as an 18 year old). Equivalent pay in a "normal" career, you would normally need to be at executive level in a multinational.

If only I'd been blessed with footballing talent.

Something more relatable for us normal folk might be League 2 level.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

I guess I'd be more sympathetic if I lived in a shithole, but I doubt that none of them do - Palace excluded, obvs. :)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
PL footballer reasons. Nobody's given real life reasons.

Those are real life reasons for a Premier League footballer. Their real life bears no resemblance to that of you or I so a comparison of reasons isn't exactly fair.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Now that is an interesting one, what drives TB ?

He obviously inherited big (at the time) family money from Harry (and the responsibility that goes with that) and has invested it very wisely, but he doesn't seem particularly driven by the power of serious money and it certainly doesn't seem to be an ego thing, so I wonder whether it is the intellectual challenge that he likes. Whichever, I can't imagine a better chairman :thumbsup:

I think you are spot on with Tony. It's about the sport, the challenge, even the responsibility.
It makes the City scenario that more stark. An oil state versus a self made man. He takes that very seriously

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing

You asked earlier about when is it ever enough and i am afraid that the simple answer may well be " never " .People at every wage level will tend to cut their cloth according to the size of their pocket , if someone earning EPL wages were to live as we do then it would be enough but they don't ! They will waste vast sums of money on elite cars , yachts , multiple apartments etc !
Just to give you a small example from my past life - at one time i was working as a van driver delivering toiletries for a small company and one place i went to was an elite men's salon near the reform club in london . At that time i was getting my haircut at my local hairdressers for about £4 and out of interest i asked someone who worked there how much a haircut was ( just a cut as they offered a full menu of treatments etc ) and was told it was £120 !!!!!!!!!!! I remember thinking at the time the people who come in here must have money to burn and truth is they probably did . The point being they were living in a different world to me with completely different values .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports